The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #766 of 5,330
Had some fun taking shots of my new toy today - my white bedside locker served as a good backdrop. I am in love with this beast of a machine!

congrats , now do those essential steps

1 - get a screen protector , and a protective case
2 - switch to J region
3 - wait 400-500 hours for your 1a to burn in(the changes are real , if you like how 1a sounds out of the box , wait till you have >200 hours on it)
4 - install the @MrWalkman FWs
5 - prepare to get nagging from people around you for 'spending too much time with this thing'

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #767 of 5,330
I use this case:

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #768 of 5,330
congrats , now do those essential steps

1 - get a screen protector , and a protective case
2 - switch to J region
3 - wait 400-500 hours for your 1a to burn in(the changes are real , if you like how 1a sounds out of the box , wait till you have >200 hours on it)
4 - install the @MrWalkman FWs
5 - prepare to get nagging from people around you for 'spending too much time with this thing'

Also screen brightnes set to 1 is one of the first steps to do.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #769 of 5,330
I'm considering my next earphone and the IER-M9 have been high on my list but having recently bought the ZEN, I might focus on a full size set next, most likely closed back. I've been listening to my 1A with my MDR-1AM2 today and really enjoying... as such, the MDR-Z7M2 are on the radar as an upgrade and I've been reading the various opinions in the dedicated thread, an interesting mix of views, some of which saying the they need more power than the 1A delivers. Anyone else have thoughts on compatibility? Any other recommendations to consider?

I'm thinking in the region of up to €800 or so. Closed back, relaxed for long listening sessions and don't get too warm - I find the 1AM2 get a bit too warm after a while and become uncomfortable, that's why I tend to use IEMs more - as such why still tempted to get the IER-M9.

Edit - another I'm considering are the ATH-WP900, they seem a great option too... just can't find any locally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #770 of 5,330
I'm considering my next earphone and the IER-M9 have been high on my list but having recently bought the ZEN, I might focus on a full size set next, most likely closed back. I've been listening to my 1A with my MDR-1AM2 today and really enjoying... as such, the MDR-Z7M2 are on the radar as an upgrade and I've been reading the various opinions in the dedicated thread, an interesting mix of views, some of which saying the they need more power than the 1A delivers. Anyone else have thoughts on compatibility? Any other recommendations to consider?

I'm thinking in the region of up to €800 or so. Closed back, relaxed for long listening sessions and don't get too warm - I find the 1AM2 get a bit too warm after a while and become uncomfortable, that's why I tend to use IEMs more - as such why still tempted to get the IER-M9.

Edit - another I'm considering are the ATH-WP900, they seem a great option too... just can't find any locally.
The M9 is highly regarded and ranks high among iems. It has very good bass and plenty of it but one thing you might need to consider is if you like bass and are used to having dynamic driver bass the BA bass might not be for you. I tried the M7 & M9 looking for a replacement for my XBA-Z5 and as much as I really liked them and wanted to buy they just didn't match the properties of dynamic bass. This is just my experience and I have seen other make comments too, otherwise go for it they are great quality in design and sound and that Sony synergy should be magic.
I own the MDR-Z1R and tried the original Z7, I don't know how much the Z7M2 differ in specs. The Z1R sound excellent from the 1A and are totally satisfying, I have made comments saying overheads can benefit from being driven with a higher power output, but that is only if you would want to try to get more out of them, it is not a requirement but a potential upgrade, otherwise like I said they are a good choice. Overheads generally do get warm though so perhaps iems might be a better choice?

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #771 of 5,330
The M9 is highly regarded and ranks high among iems. It has very good bass and plenty of it but one thing you might need to consider is if you like bass and are used to having dynamic driver bass the BA bass might not be for you. I tried the M7 & M9 looking for a replacement for my XBA-Z5 and as much as I really liked them and wanted to buy they just didn't match the properties of dynamic bass. This is just my experience and I have seen other make comments too, otherwise go for it they are great quality in design and sound and that Sony synergy should be magic.
I own the MDR-Z1R and tried the original Z7, I don't know how much the Z7M2 differ in specs. The Z1R sound excellent from the 1A and are totally satisfying, I have made comments saying overheads can benefit from being driven with a higher power output, but that is only if you would want to try to get more out of them, it is not a requirement but a potential upgrade, otherwise like I said they are a good choice. Overheads generally do get warm though so perhaps iems might be a better choice?

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I've heard the M9 can lack bass when coming from dynamics - I have the XBA-N3 and actually found the bass with all stock tips to be too much at times, ultimately the bigger issue though is getting them to stay in my ears, terrible issue with fit! I'd say I could live with less bass, just want something maybe a bit more relaxed compared to ZEN - for both differing perspectives on listening and I would expect an ability for longer durations. But I guess I need to be cautious, expensive IEMs - shame nowhere to audition in Ireland.

And yes, maybe I'm best sticking with IEMs altogether. I do enjoy the MDR-1AM2 but not for long sessions and I feel there is something missing when I'm listening, a bit muddy maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #772 of 5,330
BTW, I'm finding the 1A quite bright, certainly compared to the ZX507. Aside from custom firmware, does this tend to reduce as part of burn in? I've only got about 15 hours played.

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #773 of 5,330
BTW, I'm finding the 1A quite bright, certainly compared to the ZX507. Aside from custom firmware, does this tend to reduce as part of burn in? I've only got about 15 hours played.
My experience of burn in is the frequencies settle in and balance out and bass tightens up a bit to a degree, but overall coming from a warmer sounding ZX300 I found it brighter and appearing to lack in bass like it was pushed back. As I mentioned switching regions to J gave it a bit of a warmer presentation and brought the bass forward a bit more, and then Mr Walkman's firmwares have taken to an overall better place. I do wonder if regardless of firmwares this is the signature of the hardware components.

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #774 of 5,330
The treble certainly smoothens out as does the rest of the spectrum. To me the 1A just resolves to a higher level than the ZX300/ZX500 which can be initially jarring. Regions & firmware does alter the sound signature with the 1A/1Z benefiting from some hours on the clock. Personally I'd leave the player stock for the first 50-100 hours as this is where the most change occurs then look to regions and firmware both official & custom.

The WM1A is Sony's interpretation on the "reference" sound, it adds a level of warmth and far from dead neutral. ZX300/ZX500 is more tuned to the enhanced consumer sound signature. Coming from a ZX300/ZX500 the WM1A can sound bright initially, equally listen to the 1A for a month then return to a ZX300/ZX500 and it will sound muddy with lower resolution. The ZX series are good DAP's, WM1 is just a level up again, as is the DMP-Z1.

FWIW WM1A on Region J, FEv2, 1.5K+ hours playing, also owning DUNU ZEN (High Gain for ZEN as these IEM's scale better with power).

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #775 of 5,330
I tried an android based DAP (iBasso DX220) before going for the 1A, and it was BAD... old and laggy android, which means that the streaming apps had their day counted. Also, the audio quality was just average. When I contacted support, the cherry of the pie was the answer from service@ibasso.com: "The DX220 is discontinued. We will release the DX300 at the end of this year." ... just like that (that was in October 2020). I returned the DAP that afternoon and ordered the 1A. When I want to Qobuz or Primephonic, I connect the iPhone via the camera adaptor.

If you don’t mind, what was the cs inquiry about?

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #776 of 5,330
20 hours now and either it's brain burn-in or DAP, I'm definitely appreciating the sound more - it felt a bit harsh but I'm now finding that has toned down, separation/timbre/soundstage sounding much improved and while I need to A/B, I would say above the ZX507 in that regard... brightness not gone for sure but I definitely feel it has become smoother. Interesting development so early on I guess!

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #778 of 5,330
20 hours now and either it's brain burn-in or DAP, I'm definitely appreciating the sound more - it felt a bit harsh but I'm now finding that has toned down, separation/timbre/soundstage sounding much improved and while I need to A/B, I would say above the ZX507 in that regard... brightness not gone for sure but I definitely feel it has become smoother. Interesting development so early on I guess!
WM1A is harsh fresh out the box, as the DAP passes 50 hours it will start to settle. At 100 hours it's pretty much there, then pick your region & firmware of choice.

Q-6

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #779 of 5,330

sony says give it 200 hours for capacitors burn-in, people have detected changes up to 400 hours

in other words , be patient - it only gets better

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #780 of 5,330
WM1A is harsh fresh out the box, as the DAP passes 50 hours it will start to settle. At 100 hours it's pretty much there, then pick your region & firmware of choice.

Q-6

I'm going to leave it run now overnight etc to clock up the hours, I was just listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back