The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #796 of 5,330
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #797 of 5,330
Lovely price for that DMP. I’ve got the money, but can’t bite at it yet.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #798 of 5,330
Lovely price for that DMP. I’ve got the money, but can’t bite at it yet.

why not sell Sony TA-ZH1ES & Sony PHA-2A and upgrade to DMP ?

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #799 of 5,330

Great price for the IER-M9, might try figure out a shipping solution, or indeed reach out and ask them directly as I did with my Dignis from Minidisc.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #800 of 5,330

MDR Z1R price looks good, but taxes and shipping to the UK will add on a lot of cost :frowning2:

Edit - no option to the UK!!!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #801 of 5,330
MDR Z1R price looks good, but taxes and shipping to the UK will add on a lot of cost :frowning2:

Edit - no option to the UK!!!

No yo need to use a forewarding service

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #802 of 5,330
Came back from the e-earphone shop here in Tokyo and this time tried the Hifiman Ananda and Aryas both on a WM1A and WM1Z. The Aryas needed to go a little higher in volume, but it got to a perfectly acceptable level without even needing to turn high gain on, at least for me. I honestly didn't notice any issues with the DAPs driving either of these, and this was just on 3.5 SE so I can only imagine how much better it is on a balanced connection.

Still haven't come to a conclusion on what I'm doing, but I learned I cannot stand IEMs, they're so damn uncomfortable and I swear the sound doesn't stand out at all unlike when I put a good pair of closed/open back headphones on. I tried the Campfire Solaris against the Campfire Andromedas and couldn't identify anything different between them, yet HPs it immediately is striking to me. Guess I just have oddly tuned ears :smile_phones:

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #803 of 5,330
Came back from the e-earphone shop here in Tokyo and this time tried the Hifiman Ananda and Aryas both on a WM1A and WM1Z. The Aryas needed to go a little higher in volume, but it got to a perfectly acceptable level without even needing to turn high gain on, at least for me. I honestly didn't notice any issues with the DAPs driving either of these, and this was just on 3.5 SE so I can only imagine how much better it is on a balanced connection.

Still haven't come to a conclusion on what I'm doing, but I learned I cannot stand IEMs, they're so damn uncomfortable and I swear the sound doesn't stand out at all unlike when I put a good pair of closed/open back headphones on. I tried the Campfire Solaris against the Campfire Andromedas and couldn't identify anything different between them, yet HPs it immediately is striking to me. Guess I just have oddly tuned ears :smile_phones:

You should try both Ananda & Arya with a more powerful desktop source. You will be very surprised at the difference, many times folks confuse power and volume for improved SQ. FWIW Arya is noted for not being easy to drive, you'd be looking at more than double the power of WM1A/Z on balanced at the very least to start to see the best out of the HP...

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-arya.23838/reviews#item-review-24450

Q-6

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #804 of 5,330
i think that using 'hungry' headphones with 1a/1z is probably like driving a Ferrari in the city

sure , you get by - but these cars need open highways to bloom

(need more coffee)

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #805 of 5,330
I'm at 55 hours now on my NW-WM1A, decided to only clock up hours while listening. I had to charge it last night, probably only the 2nd time and it has been connected quite a bit while loading music. I charged it last night and I've probably listened maybe 4 hours but down to 2 bars now - playing FLAC via balanced to IEMs, seems a big drop with a 30 hour battery?

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #806 of 5,330
I'm at 55 hours now on my NW-WM1A, decided to only clock up hours while listening. I had to charge it last night, probably only the 2nd time and it has been connected quite a bit while loading music. I charged it last night and I've probably listened maybe 4 hours but down to 2 bars now - playing FLAC via balanced to IEMs, seems a big drop with a 30 hour battery?

I think it's actually within the player's specifications:
1613500721718.png

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #807 of 5,330
I think it's actually within the player's specifications:
1613500721718.png

Half way though after 4 hours play would mean 8 hours play out of a full charge? Up till today, I'd look in delight at the battery level to see it hadn't moved for what seemed like ages, definitely a bigger drop today than what it has been.

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #808 of 5,330
Half way though after 4 hours play would mean 8 hours play out of a full charge? Up till today, I'd look in delight at the battery level to see it hadn't moved for what seemed like ages, definitely a bigger drop today than what it has been.

What happens if you restart the player after seeing the battery drop like that? Some users reported the battery dropping like this, but after a restart the battery has one bar back, or something similar.

In any case, I think that there shouldn't be only 8 hours of playing even with the battery bars dropping like that.

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #809 of 5,330
What happens if you restart the player after seeing the battery drop like that? Some users reported the battery dropping like this, but after a restart the battery has one bar back, or something similar.

In any case, I think that there shouldn't be only 8 hours of playing even with the battery bars dropping like that.

I restarted and the same battery level - unless the remainder gives me longer. I might charge fully again and leave playing and monitor how many hours. It had been fine - only thing of note but can't see how it would be an issue was that it was charging last night off mains and when not fully charged, I connected it to my MacBook instead to transfer an album and while doing that it reached full charge.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #810 of 5,330
Worth minding it takes a few cycles of the battery with most devices to reach optimal performance and the battery indicator is just that, overall I wouldn't worry about it.

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back