The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #826 of 5,363
Hello WM1Z owners,

I recently brought a used WM1Z after enjoying the WM1A for some time.

The seller had stated on the sale that he got it "brand new" in Oct. 2020 and I ended up paying a premium to get this particular unit.

However, when I did get the unit today, I was surprised to see the serial number starting with 501#### rather than something like 505#### or 506####.

After charging the unit from a completely dead state, I see it still has the old / maybe original 1.02 version firmware rather than the most recent 3.02 version released on 08-29-2019.

I like to know for those who brought the WM1Z recently, what firmware did it came loaded with and what's the first 3 digit of your serial #

I'm thinking the seller is not being truthful :thinking: and I like to check with fellow WM1Z owners on this board before contacting the seller.

Also, were there any preloaded songs with the unit, and if so what is the date of the songs loaded?

Any comments and inputs are greatly appreciated. :pray:

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #827 of 5,363
Hello WM1Z owners,

The seller had stated on the sale that he got it "brand new" in Oct. 2020 and I ended up paying a premium to get this particular unit.

However, when I did get the unit today, I was surprised to see the serial number starting with 501#### rather than something like 505#### or 506####.

After charging the unit from a completely dead state, I see it still has the old / maybe original 1.02 version firmware rather than the most recent 3.02 version released on 08-29-2019.

I like to know for those who brought the WM1Z recently, what firmware did it came loaded with and what's the first 3 digit of your serial #

I'm thinking the seller is not being truthful :thinking: and I like to check with fellow WM1Z owners on this board before contacting the seller.

Also, were there any preloaded songs with the unit, and if so what is the date of the songs loaded?

It still could fit the story if the player was laying in wait since made. Mine had that firmware and was made 5/2017. Serial 501. Your player should also have the date made on the side sticker maybe? All the players come with the same demo songs. It reset the demo songs get put back in place.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #828 of 5,363
Hello WM1Z owners,

My new 1z was manufactured in Dec 2020, with the serial number 506xxxx, and 3.02 system software.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #829 of 5,363
Hello WM1Z owners,

It looks like he has either not been telling the truth or it is a unit that has been sitting at a reseller for a looong time before being sold as that is a 2017 serial number and the original release fw

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #830 of 5,363
If you get hold of older FW versions, you can easily install them at any time.

In any case, my player has the fabrication date on the left side, as well as on the back of its box, in the lower-left corner.

For my player, it's "2019-09" - and the serial number starts with 505.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #831 of 5,363
Hello WM1Z owners,

my wm1a is a 501xxxx made in december 2016

check your dap , it should have a date beneath the made in (country) engraved part

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #832 of 5,363
If you get hold of older FW versions, you can easily install them at any time.

In any case, my player has the fabrication date on the left side, as well as on the back of its box, in the lower-right corner.

For my player, it's "2019-09" - and the serial number starts with 505.
Mine has a fabrication date of 2016-11 and serial nr
5012XXX

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #833 of 5,363
Thanks for everybody's comments. My unit is definitely questionable... I will ask the seller for proof of purchase which should have been included with the WM1Z but I do not see it. If the unit is really purchased new as of Oct. 2020 then the Sony warranty should be active until Oct. 2021 - this is also one of the reasons I wanted this particular unit.

I can definitely feel the weight of the WM1Z and it is HEAVY... my wife said this is a weapon when she picked it up. :darthsmile:

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #834 of 5,363
Thanks for everybody's comments. My unit is definitely questionable... I will ask the seller for proof of purchase which should have been included with the WM1Z but I do not see it. If the unit is really purchased new as of Oct. 2020 then the Sony warranty should be active until Oct. 2021 - this is also one of the reasons I wanted this particular unit.

I can definitely feel the weight of the WM1Z and it is HEAVY... my wife said this is a weapon when she picked it up. :darthsmile:
I expect that it was produced in 2016 or 2017, but as others have stated production time sholu be on the label on the left side of the unit and on the box

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #836 of 5,363
Hello WM1Z owners,

The original box may have the date of manufacture (mine does) on it as should may the player on the lower left hand side. My own WM1A is from 19 August 2019 coming with 3.01 installed, SN #505 range. Two things spring to mind your WM1A has simply been in storage which would explain SN #501 & 1.02 FW, or the player has been factory reset.

Q-6

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #837 of 5,363
The original box may have the date of manufacture (mine does) on it as should may the player on the lower left hand side. My own WM1A is from 19 August 2019 coming with 3.01 installed, SN #505 range. Two things spring to mind your WM1A has simply been in storage which would explain SN #501 & 1.02 FW, or the player has been factory reset.

Q-6

Factory reset in itself will not boot the fw back to 1.02 though

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #838 of 5,363
Factory reset in itself will not boot the fw back to 1.02 though
No, however if never updated, 1.02 will remain. I do know of a WM1Z still on 1.02, equally a demo and it shows wear & tear. Likely the player in question has sat on the shelf for a good while. I'm not aware of any HW revisions to the WM1A/Z so should be OK, nor are all so technically minded with the original owner being oblivious to the production date & FW.

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #839 of 5,363
No, however if never updated, 1.02 will remain. I do know of a WM1Z still on 1.02, equally a demo and it shows wear & tear. Likely the player in question has sat on the shelf for a good while. I'm not aware of any HW revisions to the WM1A/Z so should be OK, nor are all so technically minded with the original owner being oblivious to the production date & FW.

Q-6
Yes and warranty should follow from documented date of sale not date of production but may not be transferrable to a second hand buyer

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #840 of 5,363
I have firmware 1.20 on my NW-WM1A and love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back