The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 24, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #841 of 5,346
I have firmware 1.20 on my NW-WM1A and love it.
You need to try MrWalkman's custom firmwares as they take the 1A to the next level.

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #842 of 5,346
Feb 24, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #843 of 5,346
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #844 of 5,346
image.jpg

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #846 of 5,346
1st and 4th bar lasts considerably longer than 2nd and 3rd bar, for me about twice as long. On the stock battery with stock fw I got about 20-22 hours play time and a weeks stand by (never turn of the player) playing flac 16/44 on balanced. With plus mode on the FEv2 or ProjectZ fw there is a 20-25% extra consumption (on my modded battery 30 hours vs 40 hours)
So, 16:30 hours for a 1Z with (500 serial number) is not bad, right?.
I just tested it with the balance out, the volume between 75 and 90 in low-gain, and battery care ON. I tested it for three days. As much as I wanted, I cannot sit for 16 hours a day to listen to music.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #847 of 5,346
I have firmware 1.20 on my NW-WM1A and love it.
Your missing out on a whole new world, that's just with Sony's own stock up-to-date firmware, let alone custom firmware...

Q-6

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #848 of 5,346
A while ago I purchased my first Headphone (B&O H95), mainly because of working from home with the covid-situation. The noise cancelling is great and I did not expect to enjoy listening to music through headphones that much. So I started browsing for a DAP and chose the NW-WM1A. Recently I purchased a (hardly) used NW-WM1A. I am really enjoying it. I have a decent collection of own music and specifically didn't want a streaming device. It is such a blessing to be NOT connected now and then.
But... I have the feeling the combination of the H95 and the WM1A is not idea. The H95 has it own DAC and even with a 3,5mm jack it is still doing things to the music. So now I am looking for another set of headphones. Ideally IEM. But... there are so many possibilities! I have been reading reviews, checking brands. It is difficult. I am kind of interested in the Kinera Nanna, but also the Beyerdynamic Xelento seem very good. But maybe there are better or cheaper alternatives to pair with the WM1A. I hope to get any advice from users here :)
BTW: I mainly listen to Jazz (e.g Bill Evans, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, etc), Classic (lots) and some folk/singersong writer (Nick Drake, Damien Rice, etc.).

Thanks! :)

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #849 of 5,346
A while ago I purchased my first Headphone (B&O H95), mainly because of working from home with the covid-situation. The noise cancelling is great and I did not expect to enjoy listening to music through headphones that much. So I started browsing for a DAP and chose the NW-WM1A. Recently I purchased a (hardly) used NW-WM1A. I am really enjoying it. I have a decent collection of own music and specifically didn't want a streaming device. It is such a blessing to be NOT connected now and then.
But... I have the feeling the combination of the H95 and the WM1A is not idea. The H95 has it own DAC and even with a 3,5mm jack it is still doing things to the music. So now I am looking for another set of headphones. Ideally IEM. But... there are so many possibilities! I have been reading reviews, checking brands. It is difficult. I am kind of interested in the Kinera Nanna, but also the Beyerdynamic Xelento seem very good. But maybe there are better or cheaper alternatives to pair with the WM1A. I hope to get any advice from users here :)
BTW: I mainly listen to Jazz (e.g Bill Evans, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, etc), Classic (lots) and some folk/singersong writer (Nick Drake, Damien Rice, etc.).

To help with offering suggestions, do you prefer overhead or in-ear?

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #850 of 5,346

Sorry to hijack your post but while we're at this, I'm also looking for a set of IEM that can bring out the lushness but at the same time is not too bassy/warm with above average detail retrieval. I noticed that you listen to Damien Rice and they sounds great with my Tin T4 but I'm having a hard time enjoying Norah Jones through my Tin T4 which I believe is due to the lack of 'lushness' from T4.

So I came upon reviews of Shozy Form 1.4 lately and some reviewers points out that Form 1.4 is suitable for all genres of music but the highlight of this IEM is its mids which in turns makes the sound lush and organic.

While I could suggest Tin T4 to you which sounds great with acoustic guitar tracks (for me at least), I don't think you will enjoy the T4 on Jazz or Classical tracks. And with that I would also asks if any of WM1A users here have paired Shozy Form 1.4 with 1A and what's their feedback.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #852 of 5,346
Trying Midnight.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #854 of 5,346
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #855 of 5,346
I mostly concluded my search for a pair of open-back headphones that can be driven by the WM1A/Z and settled on the idea of the Focal Clear for now. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear it, but these seem to be the most reasonable considering their low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back