The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #811 of 5,330
Worth minding it takes a few cycles of the battery with most devices to reach optimal performance and the battery indicator is just that, overall I wouldn't worry about it.

Q-6

Thanks, I've a natural ability to worry... Especially with a precious new toy! Makes sense though on the battery cycles.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #812 of 5,330
I restarted and the same battery level - unless the remainder gives me longer. I might charge fully again and leave playing and monitor how many hours. It had been fine - only thing of note but can't see how it would be an issue was that it was charging last night off mains and when not fully charged, I connected it to my MacBook instead to transfer an album and while doing that it reached full charge.
My listening time can be low during the week and I feel that standby depletes the battery more than I'd like it to - it does state in the manual that standby and even when turned off a small amount of battery is used.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #813 of 5,330
Thanks, I've a natural ability to worry... Especially with a precious new toy! Makes sense though on the battery cycles.

1st and 4th bar lasts considerably longer than 2nd and 3rd bar, for me about twice as long. On the stock battery with stock fw I got about 20-22 hours play time and a weeks stand by (never turn of the player) playing flac 16/44 on balanced. With plus mode on the FEv2 or ProjectZ fw there is a 20-25% extra consumption (on my modded battery 30 hours vs 40 hours)

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #814 of 5,330
Batteries as they stand are consumable items and generally replaceable. Unless the playback time is unreasonably short don't worry, even then you've got warranty to fall back on :) From what I've read and experienced the battery on the 1A/Z is very reliable and has tremendous longevity, likely aided by the lower power demand applied to the battery during playback. Other DAP's with significantly more power also have equally higher power draw applied to them which can increase heating & wear of the battery.

Also worth turning on Battery Care in the settings as that helps to extend the life of the battery :)

Q-6

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #815 of 5,330
Interestingly, over 3 hours later, the battery bar has not dropped any further and it's been playing non-stop since. Another discovery tonight is that the XBA-N3 pairs so much better with the 1A compared to the ZX507 - there was just too much bass in that pairing, I've a new found love as of tonight for the N3...

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #816 of 5,330
Since recent posts are about battery consumption...here's a chart that shows battery consumption on my 4 year, 4 month old player and it is based on continuous playing. (BC = Battery Care turned ON)

nwwm1Battery.png

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #817 of 5,330
Anyone using WM1A with cold sound signature IEM such as the Etymotic ER4? How does it pairs since although 1A is not cold sounding, I believe it has thinner note weight compared to 1Z. Will the pairing be cold and dull sounding?

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #818 of 5,330
the whole economic disaster that was covid-19 possibly was a blessing for WM1A/Z owners. It basically guaranteed the brakes would go on any major product releases. When Sony eventually does replace the device, the chips and software should be awesome. Battery life and performance at the next level.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #824 of 5,330
It's not related to WM1A per say but anyone could help me to confirm if the rockbock region change will work with other Sony player specifically the A30 series?

65619A52-1BD5-44AB-93BB-EEEDF2EF2DBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #825 of 5,330
Noticed that you're using the unbalanced port. Due to the sound signature of the port or something else?

I didnt build the new cable for my DT-1350 as balanced since it is typically not used with nicer sound sources. Just for testing it after replacing the cable I decided to evaluate its sound on my WM1A. It sounds great, but I have since plugged some balanced IEMS into the walkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back