The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #4,156 of 5,313
I'd even go as far to say the 1A/Z is too big to be truly portable. The weight of the 1Z is complete turn off for me and more a sales & marketing gimmick. Second gen is even worse, bigger, still strapped for power and straddled with Android.

Battery life is moot as I seriously doubt anyone listens to their DAP 10-20 hours straight, again more about bragging rights. Sony should have reduced the size, doubled the power output and further developed their own OS not jump in bed with Google to save a few $$$ disappointingly no sale....

Q-6
> I'd even go as far to say the 1A/Z is too big to be truly portable.

I used it every day, portable. I don't understand why it should not work. Every pocket on every pants/jacket was big enough to fit it so why not put it in? My smartphone is bigger than the WM1 and its portable too. So in my experience, its perfectly portable, i don't see a reason why not.

But if this is your opinion, there are smaller DAPs from Sony. The ZX300 and the ZX500. They are almost half the size and even much cheaper. You're welcome.

> The weight of the 1Z is complete turn off for me and more a sales & marketing gimmick

I'd call it physics. Its not Sonys fault that copper is heavy. But there is the 1A which is much lighter. What is bad about having an option?

> Second gen is even worse, bigger

Still, ZX300/ZX500

> still strapped for power

You call battery runtime a scam, but fall for the output power scam...

> and straddled with Android.

The most requested feature from users...

> Battery life is moot as I seriously doubt anyone listens to their DAP 10-20 hours straight, again more about bragging rights.

The battery power is all best case. If a DAP Maker says it will last 13h, it will last 1/2 to 2/3 in reality. They mean with everything turned of and half volume on low gain, not touching the screen once and also that is starting with 100% and ending with 0%.

This is not just unrealistic, it is also damaging the battery. You should go beyond 90% as rarely as possible (that is why pretty much all DAP have features to prevent charging above 80-90%) and you should never drop below 20% if possible. So from the 100%, you can only realistically use 70% without damaging the battery in the long run. If you're missing out 30%, suddenly battery runtime gets more important. Especially on a DAP that costs above 1000$ where you do not want a battery replacement.

That means from the 13h of the M11 Plus best case for example, if you don't want to damage the battery, only 9h are left. But that is just listening straight. Unlock the screen and browse through albums, listen at higher volumes than 50% and suddenly you're down to 6-7h. Use the Bluetooth Receiver Mode and other features and suddenly your at 4-6h.

I have to charge my M11 Plus almost every day, FiiO says the battery lasts 13h for music and 1000h stand by. I am _not_ listening 13h to music every day, this number is just unrealistic and still i have to charge it every 1-2 days. So battery power is important.

So of course nobody listens 10-20 hours straight, but if you have double the battery power, it means 1/2 the charging cycles and so double the battery lifetime

The battery of an FiiO M11 Plus will be dead after 4 years, the WM1ZM2 battery will most likely run for 8 years or even longer because you charge it half as often. Whats wrong about that?

> Sony should have reduced the size

This is exactly the reason the ZX-Series exists. Releasing an smaller Size WM1 would have made zero sense as this product already exists.

> doubled the power output

Impossible with S-Master HX. S-Master HX is the reason to buy it.

If you don't care about the S-Master HX don't buy a Walkman. You buy a Walkman for the S-Master HX. It is limited to 250mW @ 16Ω

I mean it would be possible to squeeze out more power by increasing its size 4-times but that was obviously no option. As you see from yourself, people are already complaining about the size. Making it even bigger was no option.

> and further developed their own OS not jump in bed with Google to save a few $$$

It did cost them money, not save money. But i already explained that being compatible with Android Apps was one of the most requested features

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #4,157 of 5,313

I used it every day, portable. I don't understand why it should not work. Every pocket on every pants/jacket was big enough to fit it so why not put it in? My smartphone is bigger than the WM1 and its portable too. So in my experience, its perfectly portable, i don't see a reason why not.

But if this is your opinion, there are smaller DAPs from Sony. The ZX300 and the ZX500. They are almost half the size and even much cheaper. You're welcome.

> The weight of the 1Z is complete turn off for me and more a sales & marketing gimmick

I'd call it physics. Its not Sonys fault that copper is heavy. But there is the 1A which is much lighter. What is bad about having an option?

Still, ZX300/ZX500

> Battery life is moot as I seriously doubt anyone listens to their DAP 10-20 hours straight, again more about bragging rights.

The battery power is all best case. If a DAP Maker says it will last 13h, it will last 1/2 to 2/3 in reality. They mean with everything turned of and half volume on low gain, not touching the screen once and also that is starting with 100% and ending with 0%.

This is not just unrealistic, it is also damaging the battery. You should go beyond 90% as rarely as possible (that is why pretty much all DAP have features to prevent charging above 80-90%) and you should never drop below 20% if possible. So from the 100%, you can only realistically use 70% without damaging the battery in the long run. If you're missing out 30%, suddenly battery runtime gets more important. Especially on a DAP that costs above 1000$ where you do not want a battery replacement.

That means from the 13h of the M11 Plus best case for example, if you don't want to damage the battery, only 9h are left. But that is just listening straight. Unlock the screen and browse through albums, listen at higher volumes than 50% and suddenly you're down to 6-7h. Use the Bluetooth Receiver Mode and other features and suddenly your at 4-6h.

I have to charge my M11 Plus almost every day, FiiO says the battery lasts 13h for music and 1000h stand by. I am _not_ listening 13h to music every day, this number is just unrealistic and still i have to charge it every 1-2 days. So battery power is important.

So of course nobody listens 10-20 hours straight, but if you have double the battery power, it means 1/2 the charging cycles and so double the battery lifetime

The battery of an FiiO M11 Plus will be dead after 4 years, the WM1ZM2 battery will most likely run for 8 years or even longer because you charge it half as often. Whats wrong about that?

This is exactly the reason the ZX-Series exists. Releasing an smaller Size WM1 would have made zero sense as this product already exists.

If you don't care about the S-Master HX don't buy a Walkman. You buy a Walkman for the S-Master HX. It is limited to 250mW @ 16Ω

I mean it would be possible to squeeze out more power by increasing its size 4-times but that was obviously no option. As you see from yourself, people are already complaining about the size. Making it even bigger was no option.

> and further developed their own OS not jump in bed with Google to save a few $$$

It did cost them money, not save money. But i already explained that being compatible with Android Apps was one of the most requested features
Is what it is believe what you want...

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #4,158 of 5,313
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #4,159 of 5,313

Still, ZX300/ZX500

Agree with you about battery, more useful time battery, longer its life through the years :v:

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #4,160 of 5,313
It does, but it costs 2/3 of the original WM1Z...so it's not so much about extra $$$, just physics. More room, more chips, more power, bigger sound.
I was imagining a different unit - am looking at the right one now. Same applies, but yes that was more affordable than the one I thought you meant.

For me the WM1A stays at home - too big to carry & too expensive to transport on a trip. For that it's my ZX300 for trips, but if just to carry it's the miniature NW-A45. (Always with Mr. (Dr.) Walkman's firmware.)

Usually the 1A is tethered to a Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amp in my studio/office. Big sound from that. Mostly used with Sennheiser HD700 & Focal Elegia. Wired with Nordost Blue Heaven from dap to phones.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #4,161 of 5,313

Still, ZX300/ZX500

I follow myself, not corporate direction.. Just do as your told. you'll get on fine LOL...

You missed the point entirely, being a fan and being a fanboy are very different factors. I don't automatically purchase as it's magically better, I tend to think about it...

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #4,163 of 5,313
Size and power are not much related. A&norma SR15 has four times the power of the Sony NW-WM1A/Z.

Because the A&K uses an analogue amplifier and OpAmps. Completely different design to the all-digital S-Master in the Walkman. The only way to increase S-Master output power is by making it physically larger. That's why the DMP-Z1 ditched S-Master and uses traditional analogue amps. There's no way Sony could make S-Master as powerful as they needed it to be in a box the size of the DMP.

Now I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just pointing out the design differences and limitations of S-Master. If you want the S-Master sound, which has many of its own advantages, there's only Sony...

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #4,164 of 5,313
As a follow up, the 1Z M2 Walkman has less bass and the mids stick out more. Highs are about the same, so that’s to say it won’t make your ears hurt. The soundstage feels a bit more narrow because it feels like the guitars and brass instruments are playing behind a cardboard wall. You know it’s loud and there, but something is blocking it from making it sound more pure to form. The original 1Z still has the solid bass without being overbearing because you can still hear the mids and highs clear as day. The soundstage is wider, but the instruments seem a bit more forward as in the 1Z M2 seems to have a better placement of the instruments in the back. The 1Z M2 I would describe as softer and not as much spice, but still far from neutral. The original just has more pizazz and the bass doesn’t give my head a thump of a beating.

So once again, not worth the asking price. If this exact soundstage was around the range of $500 for a DAP, I would certainly recommend it. But 3k to 4K dollars? Nope, not even close.
Nice impressions. I think the description of the M2 being softer and less spicy mirrors my experience, leading for a more laid-back sound. Interestingly, at least for my preferences this ended up producing a pleasing tonality with the MDR-Z1R. Less spice!

The sound stage is certainly narrower than a M1 on Mr Walkman CFW, but I think the M2 reaches deeper into your head.

---
On the topic of bulk and weight. I think the increase in mass is justified by the larger screen and the addition of low-end android hardware/ functionality.

M1 screen size = 4"
M2 screen size = 5" +25%

M1 mass = 455g
M2 mass = 490g +7.7%

As with everything, each attribute holds subjective value to each user, but this looks like a reasonable trade off imo. The added bulk of the M2 doesn't bother me as my use case is just listening at home anyway. Same habit since the NW-ZX1 days.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #4,165 of 5,313
Because the A&K uses an analogue amplifier and OpAmps. Completely different design to the all-digital S-Master in the Walkman. The only way to increase S-Master output power is by making it physically larger. That's why the DMP-Z1 ditched S-Master and uses traditional analogue amps. There's no way Sony could make S-Master as powerful as they needed it to be in a box the size of the DMP.

Now I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just pointing out the design differences and limitations of S-Master. If you want the S-Master sound, which has many of its own advantages, there's only Sony...

Quick question. Are the Sony power measurements (JEITA) RMS rather than max? It seems that almost all DAP makers use max power for their specifications which can be misleading.

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #4,166 of 5,313
Wanted to ask, once the 1z is fully charged via the TAZ, do you guys leave it connected? even tho the battery is noted as FULL? are there any protection mechanism in the 1z to preserve the battery life.

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #4,167 of 5,313
Wanted to ask, once the 1z is fully charged via the TAZ, do you guys leave it connected? even tho the battery is noted as FULL? are there any protection mechanism in the 1z to preserve the battery life.

I wouldn't leave my 1A plugged in after it sends the "full" message. I'd switch to the usb in the back. But then i never charge the 1A unless i can monitor it the whole time whilst listening or watching shows so I can unplug it when it's done. I'm nutty like that.

Sony batteries are top notch or so I've heard, but you loose battery health having it plugged in if it's not charging. I don't believe this can be totally avoided regardless of the mechanism in place, so i unplug

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #4,168 of 5,313
I wouldn't leave my 1A plugged in after it sends the "full" message. I'd switch to the usb in the back. But then i never charge the 1A unless i can monitor it the whole time whilst listening or watching shows so I can unplug it when it's done. I'm nutty like that.

Sony batteries are top notch or so I've heard, but you loose battery health having it plugged in if it's not charging. I don't believe this can be totally avoided regardless of the mechanism in place, so i unplug
Do you happen to have an article explaining how those types of batteries work?

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #4,169 of 5,313
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #4,170 of 5,313
Size and power are not much related. A&norma SR15 has four times the power of the Sony NW-WM1A/Z.

I've an SR25, it's cleaner more analytical/transparent than the WM1A. Power output is far greater in a much smaller form factor that streams without Google's interference. The M2 Sony DAP's are such a disappointment. I like the Sony sound signature, equally I'm not willing to pay such a price for so little advancement in such a bloated package...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back