The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 27, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #4,128 of 5,322
Jul 27, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #4,129 of 5,322
My NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A are about maximum size for me.

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #4,130 of 5,322
There are many reasons that put me off the new daps: price - literally double what I paid for my new 1Z, android OS dramas, size, same power output etc. The reasons I chose the 1A/1Z still stand strong. There are times you have a demo of something and you immediately dislike it or dismiss it but I have found that there are many occasions where you spend time with it and as your ears adjust you gain an appreciation for the sound signature and can come to love it then switching back after a few days to your other gear changes your original perspective. Is anyone following the new threads to know how many of those ones up for sale are unhappy with the sound? Has anyone compared the new daps to a Nayparm modded 1A/1Z? Are they closer or further in sound if they are using newer caps/components? How much of the sound is the hardware and how much is tuning?
The first two turn offs: 1) It is Android. 2) It is far too big.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #4,131 of 5,322
The DACs have the smallest influence on the sound, so the AKM are most likely not the reason but i meant something different, should have been more clear.

What exactly about the sound from the SP2000 do you prefer. What characteristics/attributes do you miss in the WM1?
You need to have a chat with the desktop crowd, they will put you straight that DAC's can and do have a significant influence on sound signature. Obviously the Walkman's have a proprietary DAC or do you think it's black magic? Don't right off what you have never listened to, an R2R or Multibit DAC is very different to the more common AKM Delta Sigma DAC.

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #4,132 of 5,322
You need to have a chat with the desktop crowd, they will put you straight that DAC's can and do have a significant influence on sound signature. Obviously the Walkman's have a proprietary DAC or do you think it's black magic? Don't right off what you have never listened to, an R2R or Multibit DAC is very different to the more common AKM Delta Sigma DAC.

Q-6
I finally settled on Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, Sony NW-WM1Z, and NW-WM1A as my final DAPs. I don't really know enough to comment intelligently on DACs. I do love the way my DAPs sound. I think I have sufficient differing signatures. Now I can save some money and focus on music, audiobooks, and fixing up the house.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #4,133 of 5,322
My NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A are about maximum size for me.
I'd even go as far to say the 1A/Z is too big to be truly portable. The weight of the 1Z is complete turn off for me and more a sales & marketing gimmick. Second gen is even worse, bigger, still strapped for power and straddled with Android.

Battery life is moot as I seriously doubt anyone listens to their DAP 10-20 hours straight, again more about bragging rights. Sony should have reduced the size, doubled the power output and further developed their own OS not jump in bed with Google to save a few $$$ disappointingly no sale....

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #4,134 of 5,322
I finally settled on Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, Sony NW-WM1Z, and NW-WM1A as my final DAPs. I don't really know enough to comment intelligently on DACs. I do love the way my DAPs sound. I think I have sufficient differing signatures. Now I can save some money and focus on music, audiobooks, and fixing up the house.
That's the better path, after all it's about the music not the gear...

DAC's I've got Sony, AKM & multibit and yes there's more than just differing amps that effect the sound signature. Logically if all DAC's were equal there would be little to no market in the desktop realm, which is very far from the case.

Q-6

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #4,135 of 5,322
The first two turn offs: 1) It is Android. 2) It is far too big.
and the pricing puts the final nail in the coffin.
I got my 1Z from an Australian retailer for half what I'd have to pay for the 1ZM2. I am happy with the upgrade from the 1A but still at times think jeez I'm holding $2500 (AU) in my hand as I pull it out to change tracks, double that value and it's not leaving my desk. My secondhand TA-ZH1ES still takes the crown for me and comes in under a 1ZM2 including the 1Z feeding it.
It's good to have a passion but these days money is well spent on other things. The lowest price add on was my 1TB card that has expanded my world of music exponentially.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #4,136 of 5,322
and the pricing puts the final nail in the coffin.
I got my 1Z from an Australian retailer for half what I'd have to pay for the 1ZM2. I am happy with the upgrade from the 1A but still at times think jeez I'm holding $2500 (AU) in my hand as I pull it out to change tracks, double that value and it's not leaving my desk. My secondhand TA-ZH1ES still takes the crown for me and comes in under a 1ZM2 including the 1Z feeding it.

It's good to have a passion but these days money is well spent on other things. The lowest price add on was my 1TB card that has expanded my world of music exponentially.
What makes you enjoy the TA more than the 1Z? Interested in your thoughts

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #4,137 of 5,322
Battery life is moot as I seriously doubt anyone listens to their DAP 10-20 hours straight, again more about bragging rights
This is pretty disingenuous, people like long battery lives because it means they don't have to deal with charging as often. People aren't fooling themselves into thinking they'll do some 20 hour listening session lol, they just don't wanna have to plug in their player as often as say their phones.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #4,138 of 5,322
This is pretty disingenuous, people like long battery lives because it means they don't have to deal with charging as often. People aren't fooling themselves into thinking they'll do some 20 hour listening session lol, they just don't wanna have to plug in their player as often as say their phones.
Indeed. I love that I only had to charge my 1Z once a week on the stock battery and now about once every two weeks with the upgraded battery from the nayparm mod

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #4,139 of 5,322
My secondhand TA-ZH1ES still takes the crown for me and comes in under a 1ZM2 including the 1Z feeding it.
What makes you enjoy the TA more than the 1Z? Interested in your thoughts
Agree, the TAZ is the ultimate embodiment of Sony's S-Master sound. It takes everything the WM1Z can do, and turns it up to max. Bigger stage, more detail, smoother, clearer, punchier. It also has dedicated circuits for DSEE and DSD upsampling, and an FPGA controller to precisely manage the sound. And of course it has 4x the power, if not more.

Nothing I've heard makes the IER-Z1R sing like TAZ, and the way those two render bass should be illegal it's so good.

Of course, it's desktop, and therefore subject to desktop cons - like needing clean power, clean USB input etc. But it seems to manage all of these quite well, especially with dual dedicated linear PSUs.

The biggest pro for the WM1Z is that it gets very close to TAZ but is completely portable, and doesn't require additional devices or inputs to play music files.

I primarily use the TAZ to listen to music in bed, either via the WM1Z (which gets charged when connected, so mine is always fully charged), or via Chromecast Audio/optical for streaming. WM1Z is great for listening around the house or garden, or bed when I'm too lazy to tether to the TAZ. It never leaves the house, nor does any of my expensive audio gear.

On the road, travel or exercise: Sony XM4 TWS and LG V60.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #4,140 of 5,322
Agree, the TAZ is the ultimate embodiment of Sony's S-Master sound. It takes everything the WM1Z can do, and turns it up to max. Bigger stage, more detail, smoother, clearer, punchier. It also has dedicated circuits for DSEE and DSD upsampling, and an FPGA controller to precisely manage the sound. And of course it has 4x the power, if not more.

Nothing I've heard makes the IER-Z1R sing like TAZ, and the way those two render bass should be illegal it's so good.

Of course, it's desktop, and therefore subject to desktop cons - like needing clean power, clean USB input etc. But it seems to manage all of these quite well, especially with dual dedicated linear PSUs.

The biggest pro for the WM1Z is that it gets very close to TAZ but is completely portable, and doesn't require additional devices or inputs to play music files.

I primarily use the TAZ to listen to music in bed, either via the WM1Z (which gets charged when connected, so mine is always fully charged), or via Chromecast Audio/optical for streaming. WM1Z is great for listening around the house or garden, or bed when I'm too lazy to tether to the TAZ. It never leaves the house, nor does any of my expensive audio gear.

On the road, travel or exercise: Sony XM4 TWS and LG V60.
The TAZ is my bedside rig with the MDR while the 1Z is my travel (not on the move) rig with the IER

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back