The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 28, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #4,141 of 5,314
Indeed. I love that I only had to charge my 1Z once a week on the stock battery and now about once every two weeks with the upgraded battery from the nayparm mod
I can live with charging more frequently versus excessive size and weight. For me WM1A is the upper limit, 1Z it far too heavy for my liking making it impractical as a truly portable device.

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #4,142 of 5,314
What makes you enjoy the TA more than the 1Z? Interested in your thoughts
There are times I question the 'benefits' I experience with my audio gear as it's easy to get caught in hype or expectation, or justifying your spend.
For me the TA-ZH1ES clearly stands out above the Walkmans (1A and now my 1Z) in 2 areas, bass and staging - perhaps because these are areas that I enjoy and therefore focus on. The bass is punchier and has more impact and the staging has a sense of depth that often gives it a 3D type effect for me, or maybe just makes it more immersive.
Historically I have always lead a simple existence with a Walkman and iems which was good for my finances and sanity but here I am living life to the full with overheads and a desktop too, and loving every moment of it. As I get most listening time from a portable dap my TA is severely under-used and at times I have seriously thought about selling it and just using my Walkman and iems but for me the TA is a considerably more enjoyable experience that I just can't give it up.
The Walkmans provide an excellent audio experience but the TA just takes it to another level for me.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,143 of 5,314
Agree, the TAZ is the ultimate embodiment of Sony's S-Master sound. It takes everything the WM1Z can do, and turns it up to max. Bigger stage, more detail, smoother, clearer, punchier. It also has dedicated circuits for DSEE and DSD upsampling, and an FPGA controller to precisely manage the sound. And of course it has 4x the power, if not more.
Almost by an order of magnitude (ten times). 1200 mW/32 ohms versus 125 mW/32 ohms.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #4,144 of 5,314
Almost by an order of magnitude (ten times). 1200 mW/32 ohms versus 125 mW/32 ohms.
True, though in practice I don't feel the IER or MDR-Z1R are underpowered on the WM1Z. I do sometimes switch to HG when I use the MDR with the WM1Z, but I rarely do since I have the TAZ. Most of the time I leave the WM1Z on low gain, and volume at around 85/120 for the IER-Z1R is more than loud enough for me. With the MDR I'm also at 85, but on HG.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #4,145 of 5,314
I can live with charging more frequently versus excessive size and weight. For me WM1A is the upper limit, 1Z it far too heavy for my liking making it impractical as a truly portable device.

Q-6
Indeed. For truly portable I use my iPhone and XM4 bt in ear. The 1Z is my travel rig for use at destination when I am away from home

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #4,146 of 5,314
Indeed. For truly portable I use my iPhone and XM4 bt in ear. The 1Z is my travel rig for use at destination when I am away from home
It's a fair use case and one I also practice, but not so much the phone (don't care for distractions). Personally I really like the portability aspect of smaller DAP's. That and Sony needs to get off it's laurels and increase the power output as there is a very clear and discernible between 250mA & 500mA.
IMG_20220722_135052.jpg
R2R2K is an absolutely basic player, yet sounds phenomenal (dual multibit DAC's) and with this powerbank runs well into WM1A territory. You can sit both your shirt pocket. Don't get me wrong I love my WM1A, equally it's a house brick in comparison with half the power of the R2R2K. While some may scoff at the players aged architecture, likely as they have never listened to R2R or Multibit DAC...

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4,147 of 5,314
It's a fair use case and one I also practice, but not so much the phone (don't care for distractions). Personally I really like the portability aspect of smaller DAP's. That and Sony needs to get off it's laurels and increase the power output as there is a very clear and discernible between 250mA & 500mA.
IMG_20220722_135052.jpg
R2R2K is an absolutely basic player, yet sounds phenomenal (dual multibit DAC's) and with this powerbank runs well into WM1A territory. You can sit both your shirt pocket. Don't get me wrong I love my WM1A, equally it's a house brick in comparison with half the power of the R2R2K. While some may scoff at the players aged architecture, likely as they have never listened to R2R or Multibit DAC...

Q-6
I can't say I'm a big fan of the R2R2K. Looking past the unacceptable UI for such an expensive device (it was never intended to be a DAP, but they somehow shoehorned DAP 'functionality'), I didn't gel with the sound at all. Too bright and lacking the genuine warmth and organic tonality of the best R2R DACs I've heard. Sure it's very detailed and clean, but that's not why I'm buying an R2R DAC/DAP. Not even in the same ballpark as the WM1Z sound-wise, for my preferences. To each his own.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #4,148 of 5,314
There are times I question the 'benefits' I experience with my audio gear as it's easy to get caught in hype or expectation, or justifying your spend.
For me the TA-ZH1ES clearly stands out above the Walkmans (1A and now my 1Z) in 2 areas, bass and staging - perhaps because these are areas that I enjoy and therefore focus on. The bass is punchier and has more impact and the staging has a sense of depth that often gives it a 3D type effect for me, or maybe just makes it more immersive.
Historically I have always lead a simple existence with a Walkman and iems which was good for my finances and sanity but here I am living life to the full with overheads and a desktop too, and loving every moment of it. As I get most listening time from a portable dap my TA is severely under-used and at times I have seriously thought about selling it and just using my Walkman and iems but for me the TA is a considerably more enjoyable experience that I just can't give it up.
The Walkmans provide an excellent audio experience but the TA just takes it to another level for me.

Agreed, the staging capability of the TA is jaw dropping. Amazing depth and precision in imaging the sound. Sounds stupid good with the 660s. So musical and instruments just come out of blackness from all over the stage w ridiculous layering. Also luv how little volume steps make it so easy to dial the fullness of the sound regardless of volume changes of the recording. TA is just premium on every level. It may be the best audio device I've ever purchased

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #4,149 of 5,314
I'd even go as far to say the 1A/Z is too big to be truly portable. The weight of the 1Z is complete turn off for me and more a sales & marketing gimmick. Second gen is even worse, bigger, still strapped for power and straddled with Android.

Battery life is moot as I seriously doubt anyone listens to their DAP 10-20 hours straight, again more about bragging rights. Sony should have reduced the size, doubled the power output and further developed their own OS not jump in bed with Google to save a few $$$ disappointingly no sale....

Q-6
I usually listen at home. The LPGT and NW-WM1A go in cargo shorts pocket or button pocket of shirt. I never take NW-WM1Z out of the house. NW-WM1A is used for audiobooks at work. I leave 1A in its protective case and use a Bluetooth speaker for audiobooks.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #4,150 of 5,314
I can't say I'm a big fan of the R2R2K. Looking past the unacceptable UI for such an expensive device (it was never intended to be a DAP, but they somehow shoehorned DAP 'functionality'), I didn't gel with the sound at all. Too bright and lacking the genuine warmth and organic tonality of the best R2R DACs I've heard. Sure it's very detailed and clean, but that's not why I'm buying an R2R DAC/DAP. Not even in the same ballpark as the WM1Z sound-wise, for my preferences. To each his own.
NW-WM1Z is all I need, but I still have a few more.

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #4,152 of 5,314
I assume, among other things, Power Supply, then whatever circuit differences that all that $$$ brings. That big box has lots more of everything!

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #4,154 of 5,314
I very much agree the UI is beyond primitive. I own the Red R2R2K which is one of the most analogue sounding DAP's I've ever encountered. I can only speak from my own experience Red R2R2K is more convincingly analogue than WM1Z. The Black R2R2K was far more detailed and equally less analogue in nature to the point of being sharp.

For my usage I play an album and listen to it, so the R2R2K's UI is not a bind. R2R2K the money is in the HW not the SW. Hifiman & Sony are poles apart, one relies heavily on SW one relies on heavily on HW and frankly while Hifiman very much understands the art of music, software is very for from their forte.

I maintain the sound of the Red R2R2K beats out the WM1Z, equally we are all different, we all hear and interpret differently, such is the nature of the mind...

Q-6

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,155 of 5,314
I assume, among other things, Power Supply, then whatever circuit differences that all that $$$ brings. That big box has lots more of everything!
It does, but it costs 2/3 of the original WM1Z...so it's not so much about extra $$$, just physics. More room, more chips, more power, bigger sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back