The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #4,171 of 5,313
I've an SR25, it's cleaner more analytical/transparent than the WM1A. Power output is far greater in a much smaller form factor that streams without Google's interference. The M2 Sony DAP's are such a disappointment. I like the Sony sound signature, equally I'm not willing to pay such a price for so little advancement in such a bloated package...

Q-6
I get the exact same Android experience with my A105 :rolling_eyes:

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #4,172 of 5,313
I get the exact same Android experience with my A105 :rolling_eyes:
Exactly the magic has gone. Sony should have developed it's own OS, incorporated streaming reduced the size and doubled the power output. Sadly Sony got lazy, sold out to Google's $$$ and brought a bloated, underpowered, overpriced DAP to the market.

I personally expected better, but money and all, just talk no show, sad indeed...

Q-6

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #4,173 of 5,313
Exactly the magic has gone. Sony should have developed it's own OS, incorporated streaming reduced the size and doubled the power output. Sadly Sony got lazy, sold out to Google's $$$ and brought a bloated, underpowered, overpriced DAP to the market.

I personally expected better, but money and all, just talk no show, sad indeed...

Q-6
I sense disdain towards the new DAPs. They’re not for me. But I don’t think they’re terrible

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #4,174 of 5,313
I sense disdain towards the new DAPs. They’re not for me. But I don’t think they’re terrible
I think a lot of it comes from those that have never actually held or heard one of the new players, or are bitter because they can't afford them. I'm yet to read a single impression from someone who has actually paid money for one of the new players, compared it to the original, and then sold or returned it for being 'inferior'.

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #4,175 of 5,313
I think a lot of it comes from those that have never actually held or heard one of the new players, or are bitter because they can't afford them. I'm yet to read a single impression from someone who has actually paid money for one of the new players, compared it to the original, and then sold or returned it for being 'inferior'.
I can afford it and listened to it for over an hour. I just felt it’s not worth the asking price. It’s good for what it is. But for maybe $1,000 tops

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #4,176 of 5,313

Every product is not perfect, pro and con for each person.

If not suitable for u, JUST MOVE ON. Dun waste the forum thread complaining.

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,177 of 5,313
Funny story. I actually came from the opposite direction. When the M1s were announced in 2016, I was super disappointed about Sony dropping android since I was already very used to having non-DAP specific features on the ZX1. What's interesting back in 2011-13, having android functionality was uncommon feature not found on competing brands.

I also thought the M1s were chonky and too bulky compared to the sleeker and lighter ZX Walkmans. So didn't commit to buying a M1 at launch.

Fast forward a few years later, and after reading a ton of impressions (positive and negative) of the M1s. I decided to take the plunge, and never looked back. The improvement with the sound and of course a tight user experience definitely made up the loss of some conveniences.

Coming back to the present, I think in a way the M2s returning to android is Sony coming full circle with the legacy of the Z/ZX devices.

I wonder if this is going to play out as a cyclical thing?

M1, M3 = Walkman OS
M2, M4 = Android

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,178 of 5,313
Every product is not perfect, pro and con for each person.

If not suitable for u, JUST MOVE ON. Dun waste the forum thread complaining.
Yea, maybe a couple of times it’s fine.

The one thing I will say, despite it being heavier, the weight is more evenly distributed. So there’s that

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #4,180 of 5,313
Kind of the same, but they are not worth the asking price in 2022.

Q-6

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #4,181 of 5,313
I can afford it and listened to it for over an hour. I just felt it’s not worth the asking price. It’s good for what it is. But for maybe $1,000 tops
Same here, nothing special, nor notably worse just different, M2 1A is closer to the 1Z sound and wider that's about it. Pricing wise laughable as there's a lot more competition on the market today versus 2016 and even then the WM1A/Z was considered to be underpowered...

Q-6

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #4,182 of 5,313
I’m happy for the others in that thread that enjoy it. Different case scenarios. I guess my choice of wording is just more gentle. Then again, that’s only how I feel

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #4,183 of 5,313
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #4,184 of 5,313
We're a niche of a niche here. Sony didn't get lazy they calculated that the larger part of their niche wants streaming aps. So a marketing decision was made. Likely correct for them overall. Not for me, but OK. The new generation, if I have this right, up-samples to DSD. which for some will yield a better sound quality. I have an older disc player of theirs that did that & I liked it just fine.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4,185 of 5,313
Just quickly chiming in with a comment. I do not know if we are a niche market for Sony. I exclusively stream with my 1Z. I connect my iPhone to it and I’m able to enjoy the responsiveness and functionality of Qobuz etc. viatheir iOS apps.
Much better responsiveness when compared to the new M2 versions. Slightly inconvenient because two devices are tethered together - however it does not bother me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back