The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #4,036 of 5,330
My current M11 Plus has 1000h Standby and 14h listening time and i have to charge it every 1-2 days.

I did not have to charge my WM1Z that often but it didn't last much longer either. I had to change it every 2-3 days.

I had to charge my ZX500 as often as I have to charge the M11 Plus now so I personally don't care about standby times at all

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #4,037 of 5,330
My current M11 Plus has 1000h Standby and 14h listening time and i have to charge it every 1-2 days.

I did not have to charge my WM1Z that often but it didn't last much longer either. I had to change it every 2-3 days.

I had to charge my ZX500 as often as I have to charge the M11 Plus now so I personally don't care about standby times at all
1000 hours in stand by mode ????

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #4,038 of 5,330
1000 hours in stand by mode ????
Yes

Screenshot_20220717-155833~2.png

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #4,039 of 5,330
I can confirm this observation. When I leave my WM1Z on but I do not listen to it for 2 days, I will come back to see one bar less. Thats why l make sure to turn it off if I know I am not going to be free to use it.
It seems also after it has been manually turned off after use or set to auto off at 3 hours that after a 2-3 days it will still drop a bar.

Perhaps it is just normal and my minimal actual playtime just highlights it and as most others seem to clock up more hours during a week the battery is consumed mostly by the play time to standby/off drain.
As I said my old A15 and ZX100 would last for ages in standby with low use, it was after getting the ZX300, 1A and now 1Z that I feel there is significant drain when not in use (including actually off).
Even my android tablet which gets very low use, when in airplane mode seems to drain significantly less. Considering the walkman batteries provide a very decent playback time I don't know what would cause enough drain to drop a bar in a couple of days, the internal clock? Does start up suck that much power? And as I said when my 1A was sitting dormant for about 2 months until I could sell I only had to top up charge once, the only difference being it had no sdcard inserted or iem plugged in.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #4,040 of 5,330
Tempted on snagging a Wm1am2 or Wm1a, currently using a Zx300 which I absolutely love (Have it running Mrwalkman's firmware) and I was wondering if there was a point in upgrading. I've seen that the newer walkmans all run off of android which isn't a deal breaker for me but I do really enjoy using the Sony OS for battery life purposes.

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #4,041 of 5,330
Does anyone have the Sony remote for the 1Z they are interested in getting rid of?
PM welcomed

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #4,042 of 5,330
Tempted on snagging a Wm1am2 or Wm1a, currently using a Zx300 which I absolutely love (Have it running Mrwalkman's firmware) and I was wondering if there was a point in upgrading. I've seen that the newer walkmans all run off of android which isn't a deal breaker for me but I do really enjoy using the Sony OS for battery life purposes.
I bought a second hand ZX300 and had it modded by Nayparm and to me it is close to my modded 1Z

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #4,043 of 5,330
I upgraded from a ZX300 (pre-Mr Walkman firmwares) to a WM1A. Based on stock firmwares there were noticeable improvements in staging width and detail that is a result of hardware.
I haven't heard the new 1AM2, sifting through a few reviews and feedback it may be deemed to have an edge over the 1A(?). I guess it may come down to pricing, benefits of the simple Sony OS vs android, but a big factor coming from the ZX300 for you to consider is sizing. The 1A has a noticeable size and weight increase that I quickly came to actually appreciate as it feels perfect in my hand with the slight flaring where the 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs are offering a secure grip. The new models are a significant step up in size and weight again so if portability is an important factor, ie. having it in your pocket, the new models might be a bit of a shock after the fairly slim and light ZX300 form.
Another important point may also be that with the new models you don't have the same level of customisation you do being able to change regions and firmwares - I don't know if in the future there may be some hacks or apps that could achieve similar tweaks?
As nc8000 posted above, he had a ZX300 modded which may be an option to consider achieving sound improvements, doubling of the battery life while keeping the ZX300 form.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #4,044 of 5,330
The new Android have longer battery life and higher sound quality. If you don't mind the price, I'd get these.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #4,047 of 5,330
Very surprised someone wants to sell it. Good luck with the sale

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #4,049 of 5,330
I upgraded from a ZX300 (pre-Mr Walkman firmwares) to a WM1A. Based on stock firmwares there were noticeable improvements in staging width and detail that is a result of hardware.
I haven't heard the new 1AM2, sifting through a few reviews and feedback it may be deemed to have an edge over the 1A(?). I guess it may come down to pricing, benefits of the simple Sony OS vs android, but a big factor coming from the ZX300 for you to consider is sizing. The 1A has a noticeable size and weight increase that I quickly came to actually appreciate as it feels perfect in my hand with the slight flaring where the 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs are offering a secure grip. The new models are a significant step up in size and weight again so if portability is an important factor, ie. having it in your pocket, the new models might be a bit of a shock after the fairly slim and light ZX300 form.
Another important point may also be that with the new models you don't have the same level of customisation you do being able to change regions and firmwares - I don't know if in the future there may be some hacks or apps that could achieve similar tweaks?
As nc8000 posted above, he had a ZX300 modded which may be an option to consider achieving sound improvements, doubling of the battery life while keeping the ZX300 form.
I feel like that’s kind of where i’m at. I love the form factor of the zx300 and I understand the Wm1a is also able to be modded in the same way so I may lean that direction! Im also considering also taking it in to get modded as I feel like that’ll be a good compromise. I love the Sony house sound so I think I’ll definitely stick with a Walkman, maybe I’ll stick with the Wm1a until there’s more wm1am2 stock to go around and then upgrade.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #4,050 of 5,330
I bought a second hand ZX300 and had it modded by Nayparm and to me it is close to my modded 1Z
That seems like a good option! One of the reasons i wanted the zx300 vs the 507 was for the customization and moddability! I’ve heard that modded, the zx300 is very reminiscent of the Wm1a, kind of like the lite version of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back