The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 10, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #4,006 of 5,314
Very difficult to say as I didn’t know any of the music that was available on the DMP but I would say it was close but possibly a slightly different signature
Different sound I could understand for sure. That makes sense since having different sound can be either better or worse depending on the ears. No wonder this hobby is so unique with many perspectives. Thank you for your feedback.

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #4,008 of 5,314
From what I have listened to the DMP-Z1 with Focal Utopia is the top one for me so far, but it is not a portable option. In my opinion, for this money you can find a more interesting stationary version.

What would you recommend?

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,010 of 5,314
I would like your thoughts on the DMP if you did listen to it. But even then, as you said, $8k is impractical and for bragging rights, yup
Long time now, however the player seriously impressed. It's more refined with more power and really brings music to life thx to it's holographic soundstage. I think it's OK to splash out on DMP, I considered one myself pre COVID. What I don't think is OK is to knock previous players that for many years one considered to be top class just because you step into the higher end desktop space that just happens to be transportable. Simply comes across as somewhat juvenile and lacking taste.

End of the day if you opt for a DMP-Z1, the WM1A/Z doesn't automatically downgrade and turn into a base level DAP, they obviously sound just as good :) I ran the DMP FW (MrWalkman's) on my WM1A for a good while and thoroughly enjoyed it and may do so again :) If I bought a DMP-Z1 I'd likely speak about it here, equally I would still cherish my portable DAP's and not look to usurp the thread by nonsensically denigrating the actual topic...

Q-6

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #4,011 of 5,314
Long time now, however the player seriously impressed. It's more refined with more power and really brings music to life thx to it's holographic soundstage. I think it's OK to splash out on DMP, I considered one myself pre COVID. What I don't think is OK is to knock previous players that for many years were considered to be top class just because one steps into the higher end desktop space that just happens to be transportable. Simply comes across as somewhat juvenile and lacking taste.

End of the day if you opt for a DMP-Z1, the WM1A/Z doesn't automatically downgrade and turn into a base level DAP, they obviously sound just as good :) I ran the DMP FW (MrWalkman's) on my WM1A for a good while and thoroughly enjoyed it and may do so again :) If I bought a DMP-Z1 I'd likely speak here, equally I would still cherish my portable DAP's and not look to usurp the thread by nonsensically denigrating the actual topic...

Q-6
DMP is a no go for me. Love Sony NW-WM1Z sound and am committed to 100% portable. I will never enter the desktop or home system rabbit hole.

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #4,012 of 5,314
DMP is a no go for me. Love Sony NW-WM1Z sound and am committed to 100% portable. I will never enter the desktop or home system rabbit hole.
But it’s so NICE down here! 🤣

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #4,013 of 5,314
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #4,014 of 5,314
I have heard that at the bottom there is happiness. I am still falling, so far nothing :)

Jul 11, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #4,015 of 5,314
I have heard that at the bottom there is happiness. I am still falling, so far nothing :)
The trick is to be satisfied with what you've got and only upgrading on a significant change for the better. Spend more time with music, you'll be happier by a wide margin. Today it's more about differing flavours than substancial improvement in SQ.

Q-6

Jul 11, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #4,016 of 5,314
The trick is to be satisfied with what you've got and only upgrading on a significant change for the better. Spend more time with music, you'll be happier by a wide margin. Today it's more about differing flavours than substancial improvement in SQ.

Q-6
With my Sony NW-NW-WM1Z and my Shure SRH1540 headphones I just can't imagine being any happier.

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #4,017 of 5,314
With my Sony NW-NW-WM1Z and my Shure SRH1540 headphones I just can't imagine being any happier.
Exactly, you find what works and stick with it :) The rest is mostly sales & marketing BS to promote the next big thing. If you know your music your likely already there. I've got multiple DAP's and feel no reason to update until something actually meaningful is released... .

Q-6

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #4,018 of 5,314
Yes, there is something about the synergy (sorry about the buzzword) between the WM-1Xs and the 1540…

Makes me wonder if the 1580 (? The open-back version) has that as well…

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #4,019 of 5,314
Yes, there is something about the synergy (sorry about the buzzword) between the WM-1Xs and the 1540…

Makes me wonder if the 1580 (? The open-back version) has that as well…
Shure SRH1840 open back is harder to drive and sounds much drier with the NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A. I use SRH1840 with my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. SRH1540 is magical with Sony

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #4,020 of 5,314
Shure SRH1840 open back is harder to drive and sounds much drier with the NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A. I use SRH1840 with my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. SRH1540 is magical with Sony
Thank you- that is interesting (and of course I had the model number wrong)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back