The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 13, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #4,022 of 5,330
Hey guys!

Has anyone paired the WM1A with the Hifiman Edition XS headphones? I've read they are kind of hard to drive and I'm wondering what I can expect when using my good old Sony DAP with them.

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #4,023 of 5,330
to all wm1a / 1z owners (who consider to switch to m2)

no doubt, i love my flac files and albums on my sdcard.

no doubt, i love the original sony os on the wm1z.

however, more and more i do not only listen to dedicated albums i bought and have it as flac, i also prefer my new playlists via tidal and qobuz that is getting bigger and bigger inspired by this forum as well as suggestions from tidal and qobuz.

the overview of these playlists on tidal and qobuz are great. i can order it to added date and see the cover of all of the albums.

i use tunemymusic to sync playlists between tidal and qobuz.

problem: i don't always have the time to check my playlists, see what is new, buy the song or search it in my flac albums, put it into the playlist on the sd card and create a new playlist file and so on.

to make it short: it takes time and energy "to ensure" that the playlist on for example tidal is exactly replicated /mirrored as flac files and playlist files on my sdcard.

the more i realize that, the more i use wm1z just for my albums and my fiio m17 for streaming my playlists.

when buying the wm1zm2, i would have the best of both worlds, maybe.

BUT, if one can show me that there is a way to "automate" my routine and process, i would be very interested in that.

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #4,024 of 5,330
I’m lucky I can even afford an original WM1Z. I’m good with that

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #4,025 of 5,330
to all wm1a / 1z owners (who consider to switch to m2)

no doubt, i love my flac files and albums on my sdcard.

no doubt, i love the original sony os on the wm1z.

however, more and more i do not only listen to dedicated albums i bought and have it as flac, i also prefer my new playlists via tidal and qobuz that is getting bigger and bigger inspired by this forum as well as suggestions from tidal and qobuz.

the overview of these playlists on tidal and qobuz are great. i can order it to added date and see the cover of all of the albums.

i use tunemymusic to sync playlists between tidal and qobuz.

problem: i don't always have the time to check my playlists, see what is new, buy the song or search it in my flac albums, put it into the playlist on the sd card and create a new playlist file and so on.

to make it short: it takes time and energy "to ensure" that the playlist on for example tidal is exactly replicated /mirrored as flac files and playlist files on my sdcard.

the more i realize that, the more i use wm1z just for my albums and my fiio m17 for streaming my playlists.

when buying the wm1zm2, i would have the best of both worlds, maybe.

BUT, if one can show me that there is a way to "automate" my routine and process, i would be very interested in that.
Smartphone (Tidal etc.) --> LDAC 24/96 --> WM1Z/A

Problem solved (unless you absolutely must carry only one device).

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #4,027 of 5,330
True but for what is worth that will be a lossy chain.
Indeed yes, but since most streamed content is not quite up to local flac quality anyway, you're hardly going to hear a difference over LDAC. Especially if you're listening to 44.1 content.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #4,028 of 5,330
Smartphone (Tidal etc.) --> LDAC 24/96 --> WM1Z/A

Problem solved (unless you absolutely must carry only one device).
Unfortunately from iOS devices it will only be aac but still sounds fine (I use it for movies)

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #4,029 of 5,330
Indeed yes, but since most streamed content is not quite up to local flac quality anyway, you're hardly going to hear a difference over LDAC. Especially if you're listening to 44.1 content.
I have difference experience but I see your point. Nevertheless, that will work only with Android. To be honest I gave up on all High resolution streaming services and I am going with my own files and Spotify. When I like an album I buy it and If Spotify goes CD quality then I am done!

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #4,030 of 5,330
Jul 15, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #4,031 of 5,330
My take on streaming from a service is that since I already have more than enough music in my own files to last the rest of my life...I am not interested in finding more. I still do find my way on occasion to new & unknown music, but some of what I already own is yet unknown to me, so I am content with the content I own.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #4,032 of 5,330
Is there any aftermarket battery for 1A/1Z? I have found some on aliexpress but I had got some bad experience on ali before

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #4,033 of 5,330
I've owned Walkmans and followed the threads for many years and understand the best battery practices etc and settings etc. My listening time is low and can be 4-5 minimum to 8 maximum a week (flac/hi-res) and frequently find that whether set to turn off at 3 hours or 12 hours or just left on the battery can often drop a bar in a couple of days. I know the manual states that standby and also being off will still deplete the battery but it seems to be more than I would expect - my old A15 and ZX100 lasted for ages with standby. I expect a reset will be recommended but still feel that as I experienced this with my 1A it is normal but I then I've read others saying the standby discharge is minimal and not noticeable? Is there anyone else who has quite low listening hours that experiences a bar drop with up to 2 days of not listening?
I know from the burn in process that my battery was lasting close to expected.
The interesting thing was when I was selling my 1A it took a few months (small population) and the battery lasted for weeks being turned off with minimal drain, the only difference was there were no iems plugged in and no sdcard?

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #4,034 of 5,330
I've owned Walkmans and followed the threads for many years and understand the best battery practices etc and settings etc. My listening time is low and can be 4-5 minimum to 8 maximum a week (flac/hi-res) and frequently find that whether set to turn off at 3 hours or 12 hours or just left on the battery can often drop a bar in a couple of days. I know the manual states that standby and also being off will still deplete the battery but it seems to be more than I would expect - my old A15 and ZX100 lasted for ages with standby. I expect a reset will be recommended but still feel that as I experienced this with my 1A it is normal but I then I've read others saying the standby discharge is minimal and not noticeable? Is there anyone else who has quite low listening hours that experiences a bar drop with up to 2 days of not listening?
I know from the burn in process that my battery was lasting close to expected.
The interesting thing was when I was selling my 1A it took a few months (small population) and the battery lasted for weeks being turned off with minimal drain, the only difference was there were no iems plugged in and no sdcard?
I can confirm this observation. When I leave my WM1Z on but I do not listen to it for 2 days, I will come back to see one bar less. Thats why l make sure to turn it off if I know I am not going to be free to use it.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #4,035 of 5,330
I can confirm this observation. When I leave my WM1Z on but I do not listen to it for 2 days, I will come back to see one bar less. Thats why l make sure to turn it off if I know I am not going to be free to use it.
On the stock battery on 90% charge I used to get about 20 hours play time and a weeks stand by so charged once a week. On the bigger battery from the nayparm mod I get just under double those numbers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back