The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 18, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #4,051 of 5,393
one huge minus for me with the 1AZM2 is that they don't have the usb dac option , or i remember wrong ?

do they have bluetooth (for use with speaker etc) ?

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #4,052 of 5,393
one huge minus for me with the 1AZM2 is that they don't have the usb dac option , or i remember wrong ?

do they have bluetooth (for use with speaker etc) ?
U remembered wrong. Just no bluetooth DAC yet.

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #4,053 of 5,393
U remembered wrong. Just no bluetooth DAC yet.

so 1am2 has the usb-dac function light 1a , correct ?

no BT dac = i can not connect it via a bleutooth speaker for instance ?

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #4,054 of 5,393
so 1am2 has the usb-dac function light 1a , correct ?

no BT dac = i can not connect it via a bleutooth speaker for instance ?
no BT dac mean M2 cannot use as a bluetooth receiver (receive music from phone/pc via bluetooth), it still has bluetooth to connect external speaker/tws.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #4,055 of 5,393
Longer battery life for using its own walkman app, but if u use turn on hi res streaming, it last about 10 to 11hr at max. So it's quite comparable to competitors..
The old ones don't have any streaming capabilities, so the new one still does have double battery life compared to the old ones.

And 11h is above the competition. My M11 Plus barely reaches 10-11h playing offline music in Hi-Res and significantly less when streaming.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #4,056 of 5,393
I have now seen a few of the new Walkmans up for sale, I'm not following those threads so was curious to what might be the reason? Android OS issues? Preferring their other android daps? Not being powerful enough? Has anyone said they're going back to their trusty old 1A/1Z? If it wasn't for Damz87 loving his I might have thought Sony's late to the table offering might have been a miss.

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,057 of 5,393
I have now seen a few of the new Walkmans up for sale, I'm not following those threads so was curious to what might be the reason? Android OS issues? Preferring their other android daps? Not being powerful enough? Has anyone said they're going back to their trusty old 1A/1Z? If it wasn't for Damz87 loving his I might have thought Sony's late to the table offering might have been a miss.
IMO; too big, lacks power and over priced. The original players stood out from the crowd the M2's are just another in a sea of Android DAP's that are time limited by the OS.

Q-6

Jul 21, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #4,058 of 5,393
There are 5 of the 1Z M2 on sale at E-Earphone. Telling, indeed.

Jul 21, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #4,059 of 5,393
There are 5 of the 1Z M2 on sale at E-Earphone. Telling, indeed.
Indeed, did you demo them? I think Damz87 directly compared his 1ZM2 with a borrowed 1Z and made comments on it being more in the direction of the DMP(?)

I assume some sellers are those people with the income to just try the new dap and if they don't like sell it on. I was mostly wondering if some were out for an 'upgrade' and didn't find it and would return to the originals.

Jul 21, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #4,060 of 5,393
Indeed, did you demo them? I think Damz87 directly compared his 1ZM2 with a borrowed 1Z and made comments on it being more in the direction of the DMP(?)

I assume some sellers are those people with the income to just try the new dap and if they don't like sell it on. I was mostly wondering if some were out for an 'upgrade' and didn't find it and would return to the originals.
I asked him to what percent is it closer to the DMP, but he didn't bother to answer.

Jul 21, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #4,061 of 5,393
It's obvious to me. The price has increased, the power has remained the same and there are many alternatives. Because of the android, you can’t install new firmware and you won’t change the sound. Take care of your Sony NW-WM1. It is now quite difficult for them to find an alternative.

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #4,062 of 5,393
Take care of your Sony NW-WM1. It is now quite difficult for them to find an alternative.
i think most of us guard it like gold, anyway :)

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #4,063 of 5,393
i think most of us guard it like gold, anyway :)
Surprisingly I’ve seen a WM1A in the Classifieds here at a bargain price… if I didn’t already have one, I’d buy it. 😊

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,064 of 5,393
I asked him to what percent is it closer to the DMP, but he didn't bother to answer.
He frequently apologizes for not replying when we message, I think he is a busy man and also active on many HeadFi threads. As he had owned the DMP, 1Z and several of the TOTL daps, and then been able to compare to a 1Z again I give value to his opinion but I suppose it is hard to give a percentage. Also a dap compared to such a high end higher powered component like the DMP is likely to only be a step closer, but the diminishing returns factor and the proof of Mr Walkmans firmware achievements with the original Walkmans may also close that gap. Can you not compare the DMP and 1ZM2 or your 1Z at e earphone? I love my TA-ZH1ES but don't get to listen to it much as my portable 1Z, depending on your use might a secondhand 1ZM2 be a step up from your 1Z with the bonus of streaming at half the price of a secondhand DMP?
Otherwise you've always wanted a DMP, you could just bite the bullet and treat yourself. They should hold their value if you change your mind, enjoy it for a while and truly see if you get value out of it, if not sell it and go for the next step down (1ZM2?).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #4,065 of 5,393
It's obvious to me. The price has increased, the power has remained the same and there are many alternatives. Because of the android, you can’t install new firmware and you won’t change the sound. Take care of your Sony NW-WM1. It is now quite difficult for them to find an alternative.
6062125_1230D95D-565A-4B98-8E44-6B453E236FA9.jpeg

I just got another 1A (already have 1) produced on 1-2021 with a steal deal, very happy :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back