I'm showing my age...

~Phewl.

LOL.........well let me just ...never mind
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #182 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering. For those who have the Compass for some time, which HDAM module you end up settling on?

For me it's the Earth.

That's where I always seem to end up as well although I do like the change up the Moon brings from time to time.

Peete.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #183 of 981
update : removed 99% of that melt plastic that was stuck between four big black capacitors, reseated the HDAM plugged the compass back to the 5 way surge protector now there is no noise at all when using akgs no matter the power socket, there is still some noise in A700s when moving the volume knob from half-way to full-way but it less louder than before, maybe that happens because the audiotechnicas are more sensitive to power ? are all your headphones dead quiet when moving the volume knob ?

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #184 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one pair of headphones is working perfectly with the Compass, then your other cans are broken (by your own admission too).

the problem is that i'm hearing hissing even with the akgs when i use the earth HDAM instead of moon, i'm pretty sure that didn't hapen before, i guess the hdam gone bad or even worse the unit itself, the only issues i noticed in the past were very hot temperatures inside the DAC when using earth instead of moon and that black melted plastic, maybe they didn't have enough time to burn it in before shipping my order who knows
frown.gif

I've send a mail to audio-gd support few hours before, things will eventually work out i hope, damn dt770s + earth were such a lovely combination, i'm still debating in my head wether i should bother with repair or buy new ones.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #185 of 981
The static while moving the volume is normal. Try playing something like pink noise and then move the volume knob, there will be A LOT of extra static noise then. Something that isn't right is that you have to move the volume knob all the way lol.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #186 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem is that i'm hearing hissing even with the akgs when i use the earth HDAM instead of moon, i'm pretty sure that didn't hapen before, i guess the hdam gone bad or even worse the unit itself, the only issues i noticed in the past were very hot temperatures inside the DAC when using earth instead of moon and that black melted plastic, maybe they didn't have enough time to burn it in before shipping my order who knows
frown.gif

I've send a mail to audio-gd support few hours before, things will eventually work out i hope, damn dt770s + earth were such a lovely combination, i'm still debating in my head wether i should bother with repair or buy new ones.

It was unnecessary to remove all the glue blobs. If you're hearing hissing with the volume knob while it's not being moved, then that could be caused by any number of things. In that case, it's worth un-plugging connections until it goes away to see if if it's caused by, say, your computer.

If you're hearing static at the moment you turn the volume knob (caused by turning it) I gather that's cause by DC voltage leaking into the headphone circuit, which shouldn't happen.

Anyway, good luck sorting it out.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #187 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's where I always seem to end up as well although I do like the change up the Moon brings from time to time.

Peete.

Oddly enough, I'm the same. I've used the Earth exclusively, up until around two weeks ago. I was listening to an album, and just felt that I wanted a smidge more bass, so I dropped the Moon in. Different moods, different flavours of sound. It's nice to have the choice between total neutrality, and something with a bit more bias toward the bottom-end.

~Phewl.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #189 of 981
Strange I thought the Moon had less bass at least that is what I thought I heard... but at this hour I could be delirious.

146 hours with the moon and counting but it is going to be on the back burner when I am forced to turn it off during my vacation...

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #190 of 981
Do you guys hear a static noise when turning the volume knob and listening to pink noise? I get it all the time and figured static from turning the knob increases the more noisy the music is.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #191 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange I thought the Moon had less bass at least that is what I thought I heard... but at this hour I could be delirious.

146 hours with the moon and counting but it is going to be on the back burner when I am forced to turn it off during my vacation...

The HDAMs change tonally over the first 350 hours. In another hundred hours or so you'll wonder where the treble went for about 50 hours.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #192 of 981
haloxt i don't get any of that when using akg 601, maybe because this pair is less sensitive to gain/voltage who knows.

I used to get those symptoms in the past with my dt770s too (before they got damaged )when my hdam was not properly seated or the ground wire was not making proper contact, now if i try to use audiotechnica A700 on my compass without any cables connected to it ( just the power cord ) it will give me loud hissing and volume knob noise when its volume setting is set to 12 o'clock or higher ( 12 o'clock = medium setting right ? )

But if i move the connection knob from optical/coax setting to usb OR use super mode instead of normal then i will only hear VERY quiet hissing at max volume and no static/crackles at all, i guess something got fried in the DAC section .....

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #193 of 981
The hissing only occurs while moving knobs right? I used to switch input knobs like crazy a/b'ing and the hissing is pretty common. I also get hissing when there's nothing playing when I move the volume knob in circles. I don't think there's anything to worry about there, but I do think you should try a different transport just to make sure your compass really has lower volume than other compasses.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #194 of 981
No, it occurs when i set the compass 12 o'clock or higher and then leave the volume knob alone, if I start moving it i will hear some weird sounds like the knob itself rubbing against the aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back