The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #211 of 981
Oh poop. In my excitement I went and gave them my wrong zipcode in one of my emails (I'm away from home on an internship this summer) and just my luck that that was the zipcode they chose to use! Cherry was very expediant in informing me of the error, we got it cleared up and my package has been shipped but unfortunately the ship date is now yesterday instead of Sunday. Ah, how will I wait any longer....

On a different note, has anyone tried the DAC out of the compass with a CMOY? I'm building a CMOY now and would like to do just this, and I want to know what other peoples experiences with this are.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #212 of 981
I've tried the Compass DAC out with various DIY amps including a hybrid one. All of them seem to be better than the Compass' Amp section, in one way or another. When I tried them with the Moon OPA in the DAC section, the coloration is way too much for my taste so I had to use the Earth. The Earth also happens to be my favorite OPA now as it's the most neutral.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #213 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the Compass DAC out with various DIY amps including a hybrid one. All of them seem to be better than the Compass' Amp section, in one way or another. When I tried them with the Moon OPA in the DAC section, the coloration is way too much for my taste so I had to use the Earth. The Earth also happens to be my favorite OPA now as it's the most neutral.

Would you mind saying wich ones and the sound differences?

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #214 of 981
AHHH.....They tried delivering and I was not there.
frown.gif

Oh well. I will be home in an hour or so and will have to go see if it is feasible to go to the facility and pick it up.

Just thought i would share/vent my frustration with you guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nkk

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #215 of 981
glad people are still happy waiting for theirs to arrive, just enjoy it before feeding into the need to upgrade!

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #217 of 981
Well in the morning I must part with my compass for over a week! I have listened to it every day since I got it but hopefully my imod -> LDMKI -> PFE setup will hold up (just installed a new battery hoary)!

231 on the moon so far I will half to finish the rest when I get back home
ph34r.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #219 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind saying wich ones and the sound differences?

All custom DIY designs. One of them is this one, a tube/SS hybrid.

IMG_4728.jpg

This one is better in imaging, soundstage and midrange while Compass generally having an edge in bass dynamics.

The other one is also a custom design, called the 'Soul Mini'. That one is a portable design and IIRC, Psychoaudio and RON have posted some photos and their impressions here. Unfortunately the impression of the Soul Mini was not as strong as that hybrid amp so I couldn't remember which aspects sounded better.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #220 of 981
Its sort of scaring me. You make it sound like the Compass' Amp sucks...

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #221 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its sort of scaring me. You make it sound like the Compass' Amp sucks...

Well, not really. It's surprisingly decent given its price-point but there are better things out there (which comes at a higher price). At $300, the Compass is pretty hard to beat though as an Amp/DAC combo.

Also keep in mind that DIY designs tend to have a much higher price/performance ratio as there's no profit margin in the equation.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #222 of 981
doesnt suck. impressive unit for this price. The only other HP amp that i have is the Apogee Duet. With the HD580, the amp section on the compass is MUCH better IMO. I know the apogee amp is not really highly regarded anyway but I was happy with it till I heard Compass. I quickly did some A/B with the DACs using the Compass amp. Ill post back after more burn in.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #223 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, not really. It's surprisingly decent given its price-point but there are better things out there (which comes at a higher price). At $300, the Compass is pretty hard to beat though as an Amp/DAC combo.

Also keep in mind that DIY designs tend to have a much higher price/performance ratio as there's no profit margin in the equation.

Or labor/overhead costs.

Peete.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #224 of 981
I have eight jumpers that came with my Compass...how many do I need? Only four, right? Is Kingwa just generous and gives out an extra four? I have a total of 8 metal rods sticking out of my compass board (2 sets of 4 rods (2 pairs) each), and each jumper covers 2 rods (one pair). That makes 2 jumpers per set of 4 rods, and I am left with four jumpers unused. Right?

Thanks,
Nkk (who is scared to turn the Compass on without knowing this answer)

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #225 of 981
I just received optical cable from monoprice. When I plug it into Compass, it barely stays plugged. I guess the problem is in Compass since it doesn't have a locking port, but could anyone recommend a optical cable which would hold firmly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back