The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 27, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #226 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have eight jumpers that came with my Compass...how many do I need? Only four, right? Is Kingwa just generous and gives out an extra four? I have a total of 8 metal rods sticking out of my compass board (2 sets of 4 rods (2 pairs) each), and each jumper covers 2 rods (one pair). That makes 2 jumpers per set of 4 rods, and I am left with four jumpers unused. Right?

Thanks,
Nkk (who is scared to turn the Compass on without knowing this answer)

You can turn it on. Sounds like you got spares indeed. You don't need to install any of them, it's just an option to deal with the strong brightness or dullness of some headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yooncs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received optical cable from monoprice. When I plug it into Compass, it barely stays plugged. I guess the problem is in Compass since it doesn't have a locking port, but could anyone recommend a optical cable which would hold firmly?

There are no locking optical ports. Toslink is honestly a crap system. Some ports/cables I have connect tightly, some barely.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #227 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or labor/overhead costs.

Peete.

DIY is interesting though. I'm almost convinced that the M^3 is going to be my next amplifier purchase.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #228 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY is interesting though. I'm almost convinced that the M^3 is going to be my next amplifier purchase.
biggrin.gif

I agree completely ...I love a good DIY project or mod...an M^3 is a terrific choice judging by it's feedback and owner satisfaction.

Peete.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #229 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I've given in to DIY and put an order in for an EHHA kit myself.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #230 of 981
A Balanced EHHA, running off two Sigma22s? That would likely be glorious. I'm pretty interested in the EHHA myself actually. If I ever get around to picking up that soldering iron, the EHHA would be one of the amps I'm most interested in, along with the M3 and Beta22.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #232 of 981
hmm I truly think that would be overkill its not like you carry the amp around like the headphones.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #233 of 981
Hi all, I'm considering the Compass dac/amp, but I'm a little scared about the reports of hiss and noises when turning the volume and that this should be normal?? I have never experienced amps that made noises when the volume was turned except 20 years old receivers with dirty pots.

Could someone please confirm that:

1) A properly working Compass is noiseless when turning the volume, and
2) That there is no hiss at normal listing level with no music playing irrespective of source selection (coax/optical/USB).

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #234 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I'm considering the Compass dac/amp, but I'm a little scared about the reports of hiss and noises when turning the volume and that this should be normal?? I have never experienced amps that made noises when the volume was turned except 20 years old receivers with dirty pots.

2) That there is no hiss at normal listing level with no music playing irrespective of source selection (coax/optical/USB).

Thanks!

moon hdam + AKG K601 give me no problems at all, only slight volume knob noise when using audiotechnica A700 + low gain setting ( 6db ) I've ordered a new earth HDAM so i will verify soon if my old earth hdam got damaged due to abuse / bad handling on my part ( i'm kinda rough on my equiptment i know :p )

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #235 of 981
Quote:

Thanks!

True on both counts, using Eart hand AD700 and ety hf5 on low gain for both.
And, my compass is about 22 hours old, so it is brand new.

-Nkk

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #236 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True on both counts, using Eart hand AD700 and ety hf5 on low gain for both.
And, my compass is about 22 hours old, so it is brand new.

-Nkk

Thanks man (and SoFGR too), that's also what I would expect - got a little worried, that's all.

Are these "homemade" op-amps perhaps a little fragile... As I doubt that I personally could hear any difference, I guess I could just plug in a standard stereo op-amp instead, right. I have a 2xAD8610A, a 2xAD627AN, and 2xLT1028CN8, all dating back from a failed investment (Larocco PR, hissed like hell), will these work?

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #238 of 981
Quote:

Thanks man (and SoFGR too), that's also what I would expect - got a little worried, that's all.

Are these "homemade" op-amps perhaps a little fragile... As I doubt that I personally could hear any difference, I guess I could just plug in a standard stereo op-amp instead, right. I have a 2xAD8610A, a 2xAD627AN, and 2xLT1028CN8, all dating back from a failed investment (Larocco PR, hissed like hell), will these work?

You could but they won't be near as good sounding as the HDAM modules. These are not homemade Opamps....they are discrete circuit types that are hand made. The entire amp is hand made.

I don't get any noise at all with the 2 units I have but the volume pot does make some noise when moved up or down but that is on purpose because of the way the pot is wired into the circuit. Once you stop moving the pot the noise also quits. There is very little or no hiss using HD650's. At normal listening levels the amp and dac are dead quiet. Some members with very efficient low impedance cans/IEMs can chime in on this subject as my 2 sets of cans are 300 and 600 ohm.

Peete.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #239 of 981
With my DT990 (250 ohms) then there is a barely audible noise when turning the volume, when there is no music there is no hiss. With the Turbines IEMs there is a very audible noise when turning the volume knob, and with no music there is some hiss with volume turned all the way up, and I'm not sure if I'm imagining hearing it or not when the volume is at listenable levels. To put this in perspective, with the Turbines I can only have the music turned from about 7 o'clock (zero) to around 8. I can hear music playing when volume is turned all the way down. For me, the noise when turning the volume knob is not all that bothersome for me as it only really happens when I am greatly changing the volume. If I am only adjusting the volume a small amount (what I usually do) then it either doesn't happen, or it isn't loud enough to be at all bothersome. Also, even with the Tubines, the background noise is not close to audible when playing music at listenable volumes.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #240 of 981
All is cool then.

Yes, it seems that the "shunt" type wiring of the pot causes volume to go to max as the shunt contact is temporarily lost due to friction etc. Whereas in a normal pot wiring the volume goes to zero when contact is temporarily lost in the pot. Also, input resistance varies with volume in the alternative pot wiring used in the Compass, but I don't know if this could have a negative effect as well.

I wonder if the "theory" about the signal is "bypassing" (I doubt if this simplified way of looking at electrical signals is even meaningful) the pot is worth the compromise: The supposed benefit is something nobody could probably hear, but the compromise (noises when turning volume) is something everybody can hear. You're basically introducing a certain negative effect by adding a very questionable positive effect, I wonder if that was wise...

Have to consider this some more. My options (at around $500) are very limited for the functionality I seek (amp/dac with optical/coax/USB inputs). The only other alternative I've found is the iBasso D10, but it looks like you get a much better construction with the Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back