The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #166 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,
When you use compass with hd650, you use the high-gain mode or low gain-mode? does it matter? while using Earth with neutral setting in low-gain mode, I feel a little veil in the mid-high range. But it sounds better in the high-gain mode, IMO. Thanks.

I use high gain for all of my headphones.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #167 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use high gain for all of my headphones.

Hmmm, even your Grado's? Those should be really easy to drive on low gain...

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #168 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, even your Grado's? Those should be really easy to drive on low gain...

They are - but I usually use an impedance adapter, and I'm lazy, too
wink.gif
Either way it isn't as though high gain makes it too loud or anything - volume knob still works in both modes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #169 of 981
DT880 is great also. K701 can sound fake from what oDigg explained at the meet because it is SO BIG.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #170 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 is great also. K701 can sound fake from what oDigg explained at the meet because it is SO BIG.

I feel that way about my K500 sometimes. The soundstage is just so wide that sometimes it feels fake.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #171 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are - but I usually use an impedance adapter, and I'm lazy, too
wink.gif
Either way it isn't as though high gain makes it too loud or anything - volume knob still works in both modes.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, I hear ya. I should A/B the gain modes to test if I hear SQ differences. I was talking to a purist about running the Compass in high gain mode, I could tell he was frowning upon me, LOL...

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #172 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 is great also...

X2. The synergy with Beyers(880 & 990) and the A-GD gear is great, seems like they were made for each other...

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #173 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. The synergy with Beyers(880 & 990) and the A-GD gear is great, seems like they were made for each other...

They were that is why they both were handed down from heaven
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #174 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,
When you use compass with hd650, you use the high-gain mode or low gain-mode? does it matter? while using Earth with neutral setting in low-gain mode, I feel a little veil in the mid-high range. But it sounds better in the high-gain mode, IMO. Thanks.

I asked Kingwa this question back in development a few months ago and he said the 9 dB-low gain has less noise than the 13 dB-high gain. I use the 9 dB-low gain setting with my DT880/250s and there's plenty of headroom for higher impedance phones. Good to see the newer Compass units have a low gain of 6 dB.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #175 of 981
ok now i got very confused and frustrated
frown.gif
, my dt770s just got this rattle problem lately ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wie...770pro-281547/ ) so i stopped using them, I removed all hairs as ericj instructed but no dice , tried running them unamped same problem so it is not the DAC

I've done alot of hdam switching these days, power button was turned off 100% of the time and power cord was unplugged 98% of the time during this process, I think something inside compass has gone bad, everytime i use dt770 or a700 now i can hear static and noise when moving the volume knob while just a few days ago it was dead silent ( never tried the A700s on compass before just today but they could be damaged since they had dropped too many times from my desk in the past )

When i tried akg 601 i could only hear a little bit of hissing when volume was maxed and nothing was playing, i unpluged the power cord from my old 5 way surge protector and plugged it in a plain power socket, now i can't hear any kind of noise so it's all good, but why should i have to do that in the first place ? and why do i still hear static when using my 2 older pairs ?

Btw i removed pretty much all of that black melted plastic just to be safe, oh and i was having problems with the ground wire on moon 3-4 days ago, ( my earth's wire got detached too yooncs you're not alone
tongue.gif
) everytime it had contact it gave me static so i had to remove the screw, but now the wire seems to be working fine, atleast on my akgs .....

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #176 of 981
I think your can's are messed

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #177 of 981
If one pair of headphones is working perfectly with the Compass, then your other cans are broken (by your own admission too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back