The Chord Hugo TT is announced.
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #46 of 282
  1. Regarding USB galvanic isolation: The Hugo TT does have it. (The portable Hugo does not.) They were explaining to me how their galvanic isolation implementation may be different than most, but I have to pull out my notes, and see if there's enough in them for me to explain the difference later. (I'd rather Rob Watts or John Franks explain it, of course, and I imagine they will.)

2. Regarding the Hugo TT's weight: I think it weighs 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds). Though I believe the weight spec, it feels even heavier to me. Not even the most daring portable audiophile will carry this around. I tend to carry a lot of stuff back and forth from my home office to my work office--because of its weight, though, I will not do that with the Hugo TT. I think it's safe to guess that most Hugo TT owners will also treat it purely as a desktop component.

3. If you're wondering why the Hugo TT even has a battery, if it's anything but portable, it's mostly for reasons of power quality. By using a rechargeable battery and super capacitors, the Hugo TT's audio circuitry operates completely off the grid. That is, wall power is only used to keep the battery charged, the battery being what powers the Hugo TT. The portable Hugo also operates this way (minus the implementation of super capacitors).

4. I haven't seen the numbers, but I think the Hugo TT's headphone output has similar/same rated output power. However, the Hugo TT has a beefed-up headphone output stage, and--because battery life isn't a concern with the TT as it is with the normal Hugo--the Hugo TT is biased Class A further into its power envelope, before swinging to Class AB. That is, it will operate in Class A more of the time, and under more demanding load, than the portable Hugo.
    1. I believe all of the portable Hugo's analog outputs--RCA, 3.5mm, 1/4"--are all exactly the same, pulling from the same output stage. I believe in the Hugo TT, the headphone output is separate from the other analog outs.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #47 of 282
The galvanic isolation implementation goes across all frequency bands all the way to 384 and beyond.

The reason for super capacitors is that they charge and discharge faster than the lithium ions in the portable Hugo. This means for audio when current is required by the hardware it can deliver it quicker than in Hugo.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #48 of 282
I listened to the TT today at CES with a pair of LCD-XC's that were connected to it. I thought it sounded indistinguishable from my Hugo, which I completely expected, but for such a brief listen I can't be sure. If I didn't already have an Invicta, the TT would be on my short list. The Chord rep I spoke to suggested an upgraded QBD76 was in the works, but would say no more about it. I wanted to chat with Mr. Franks, but he seemed oblivious to customers in the room, so I didn't bother to try.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #49 of 282
lets hope we get impressions about Hugo vs Hugo TT this week at least. 

sadly i don't live in USA. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #50 of 282
Let’s get real.

(1) "I want a desktop unit that can be plugged in to main hi-fi rigs" - TT is bigger + upgraded power supply (check)

(2) "Those coloured lights are confusing" - display added (check)

(3) “Micro-USB connections suck" - XLR, BNC and USB B input added (check)

(4) “Difficult to upgrade cables" - see above.

(5) “Worried about battery life" - battery size increased 2X and "super caps” added (check)

(6) “It looks like a toy, and not a ‘real' hi-fi component" - 10” x 10” aluminium casing (check) + see (3)

(7) “Controls are too small for my fingers" - bigger buttons for bigger fingertips installed (check)

(8) "I have to get off my lazy ass just to adjust volume?" - remote controller (check)

(9) "Why include a pre-amp with no remote control?" - see above.    

(10) “It’s good for what it is but I think the < insert name of desktop DAC here > is slightly better” - bigger circuit board, new chips, super caps.

Let’s be honest. If you own a Hugo (and like it), you probably want a TT as well. The question is how badly.

Cheers.

You nailed it for me. TT seemed to have everything I wanted for the desktop Hugo. Would it like it cheaper? Hell yes, but I applaud Chord to heed their customers and critics' comment and built the TT right. For those looking for the better value, the Hugo is a no brainer.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #51 of 282
Good post, I agree with all of the above, I will be adding a Hugo TT, only other thing I would have liked to see is better isolation of the USB inputs.

there still may be hope for isolated usb's. just read a review of the new chord two qute (spelling ???) anyways, John Franks mentioned in the article that the new usb's are galvantically isolated. maybe this was added to the hugo tt and was somehow not mentioned in the quick announcement everyone seems to be taken for gospel. i believe the article was on the Hifi Pig website. do not have a link, sorry.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #52 of 282
I apologize for my last post, a little late in the response.

Anyways...great job Chord, keep the good news coming on the Hugo TT. I will definitely be purchasing one, after I recoup some cash flow following the recent holidays. Offering the new Hugo TT at the $4k to $4.5k would certainally help! Hello hello. Would also keep many folks from being frustrated at the "double the price" comment flying around. I know your listening because you certainally addressed many of my concerns related to my portable Hugo with the TT model.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #53 of 282
there still may be hope for isolated usb's. just read a review of the new chord two qute (spelling ???) anyways, John Franks mentioned in the article that the new usb's are galvantically isolated. maybe this was added to the hugo tt and was somehow not mentioned in the quick announcement everyone seems to be taken for gospel. i believe the article was on the Hifi Pig website. do not have a link, sorry.
it categorically does have galvanic isolation across the whole frequency spectrum.

Regards

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #54 of 282
As we now know the name of the product, and so that everyone can find it easily I've changed the thread title.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #55 of 282
Sounds like twice as many reasons to not buy one. 

Twice as small , half the price and self contained DAP would get my vote

Also would get chord exposed to a different market sub £500 DAP

Im available for product consultation 'Chord'. If you are reading this? Hehe

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #59 of 282

John Franks & Hugo-TT with Alexander Rosson, Co-founder and CEO of Audeze.

Reviewer and Hugo advocate John Darko with John doing an open-eye test.

Head-Fi Update: Rob has told me he will answer any technical stuff about the Hugo-TT & 2Qute upon his return from CES next week...
normal_smile .gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #60 of 282
The galvanic isolation implementation goes across all frequency bands all the way to 384 and beyond.

The reason for super capacitors is that they charge and discharge faster than the lithium ions in the portable Hugo. This means for audio when current is required by the hardware it can deliver it quicker than in Hugo.

This is good news

Users who are viewing this thread

Back