The Chord Hugo TT is announced.
Jan 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #16 of 282
  from 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/11/chord-hugo-dac-headphone-amplifier-review/

Manufacturer’s response: “Thank you for your concise and excellent review John. The only point I’d like to make is that although all current units have been for some time mechanically slightly different from very the first production batch shipped during the first quater of this year, ie enlargement of the RCAs etc. these were only running production changes and we have only produced one version of Hugo; there have been no Hugo 2’s produced to date. However I’m pleased to tell you that we have been busy in development and Hugo will be joined by several new products. Two of which we will be launching at the CES LasVegas in January 2015.” – John E. Franks (5/11/14)

*last sentence*

cheers.

"several new products" also includes smaller and/or portable amps (or DAC/amps) with at least the same level of power output as the current Hugo, or are the new products more focused on desktop usage model?

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 282
I find CHORD quite lazy here: using the exact same electronic than the HUGO in a larger case... !!  

I would have expected an improved SQ taking advantage of the 2 years development since the HUGO was born !!

For exemple I would have love to see instead a battery operated transportable version of the new QBD (which has over 100,000 taps) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: This HUGO TT to me looks like "Old" technology re packaged as a new product ! VERY frustrations with the new QBD around the corner ! I won't upgrade from my HUGO.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #22 of 282
Hmm. A tempting replacement for the Hugo in my Hifi system. Presumably I could connect the balanced outputs to my Cyrus power amps and use the remote to control volume. I could do with another coaxial input but I'm guessing the new QBD will be at least 5 grand.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #23 of 282
Hugo is 2500$, Frank said Hugo TT will be 2x (5000$), I'm guessing QBD will be a lot higher than 5gs.
Tough pricing by those guys to double the Hugo with basically same sound in bigger package (+remote)..

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 282
Chord also announced the 2Qute Chordette. Any info on that?

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #26 of 282
No mention of galvanically isolated USB inputs either which, considering the huge price hike, is very disappointing, especially as Rob Watt himself has said he uses an Olimex USB isolator. Surely for the money they could have isolated both USB inputs. Otherwise it's £1600 extra for a remote, XLRs, and a fancy box which must add a lot of cost but very little value.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 282
Hugo is 2500$, Frank said Hugo TT will be 2x (5000$), I'm guessing QBD will be a lot higher than 5gs.
Tough pricing by those guys to double the Hugo with basically same sound in bigger package (+remote)..

I'm guessing the QBD will be in the $9500.00 - $10,000.00 range. If they price it any less than that, nobody will buy the Hugo TT when they can have the QBD (and its 1.25 million taps) for only a grand or two more. Again, simply my best guess. I personally am very happy with my Hugo. I use it solely for my home desktop dac. I for one will be very interested in selling my current Hugo and upgrade to the new Hugo TT purely for the new case (& remote) simply so I can have all my cabling going out the back of the unit. Much more tidy/ traditional look. I will also be very interested to finally use the Hugo TT as a DAC & Preamp! Looking forward to reading more information in the next few months. In the meantime, anyone looking to purchasing a "portable" Hugo, hang on, mine (including the new black leather case) might be up for sale real soon!

Papa Kief.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #28 of 282
so i was really planing to buy it, thinking its an improvement over the Hugo Chord. 

"With more than 10'000 units sold, Chord Electronics' Hugo was a very successful 2014 product. With the new 
Hugo TT
 [£2'995], the same circuit now goes on the desktop with enhanced connectivity (RCA and fully balanced XLR outputs), an alphanumeric display, remote control and a USB B digital input. Battery power has been doubled and a 10'000'000uF bank of super-capacitor backup was added. Otherwise the Chord still supports 32/384 PCM and DSD128 plus advanced headfi with 2 x ¼" and 1 x 3.5mm outputs, a crossfeed filter, Bluetooth over A2DP and proprietary D/A decoding via a custom-coded Spartan 6 FPGA. The Hugo TT comes in silver or black and its size versus the portable Hugo is shown in the top photo."

seriously
 the same? i were able to use the Hugo Chord as a Desktop rig, why would i pay 5000$ on this?  like seriously ....

i totally agree with Bmichels

man i was happy when i saw a new Hugo Desktop Rig..... 

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #29 of 282
so i was really planing to buy it, thinking its an improvement over the Hugo Chord. 

"With more than 10'000 units sold, Chord Electronics' Hugo was a very successful 2014 product. With the new Hugo TT [£2'995], the same circuit now goes on the desktop with enhanced connectivity (RCA and fully balanced XLR outputs), an alphanumeric display, remote control and a USB B digital input. Battery power has been doubled and a 10'000'000uF bank of super-capacitor backup was added. Otherwise the Chord still supports 32/384 PCM and DSD128 plus advanced headfi with 2 x ¼" and 1 x 3.5mm outputs, a crossfeed filter, Bluetooth over A2DP and proprietary D/A decoding via a custom-coded Spartan 6 FPGA. The Hugo TT comes in silver or black and its size versus the portable Hugo is shown in the top photo."

seriously the same? i were able to use the Hugo Chord as a Desktop rig, why would i pay 5000$ on this?  like seriously ....

i totally agree with Bmichels

man i was happy when i saw a new Hugo Desktop Rig..... 

Doesn't make sense does it? Well now I'm looking at the PS Audio dac.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #30 of 282
Chord will need to provide further explanation than that but I think the terms "same circuit", or "same electronics" (and whatever other terms used) needs a little more clarification. A DAC/Amp that uses the same DAC chips or same OpAmps in the same design could start to sound rather different depending on the power/transformer behind it. We've already been told of at least one difference with the inclusion of super-capacitors so the Hugo TT is already not exactly the same internals simply encased in a larger shell. Now whether these "upgrades" are worth double the price, that's yet to be heard.

I think the initial announcement of the Hugo TT having "the same <whatever>" is somewhat used a little too loosely. Don't need to be so asphyxiated onto the phrase there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back