The Chord Hugo TT is announced.
Jan 10, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #61 of 282
This hugo tt sounds interesting,here are some questions hopefully rob watts will answer. Does the hugo tt sound better than the hugo? Will the hugo tt drive the hd 800s better than the hugo (more power)?

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #63 of 282
Maybe I'm just getting old and have a kid in college, but seems pricey.

I totally agree. many folks have been raving about the sound quality of the Hugo ($2500) versus the Auralic Vega ($3500). Enter the Hugo TT at $5000, i think Chord may struggle to compete with the Vega being $1500 more. If they were to price the Hugo TT at $3500 (equal to the Vega) Chord should be very competitive. Simply my opinion.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #65 of 282
I totally agree. many folks have been raving about the sound quality of the Hugo ($2500) versus the Auralic Vega ($3500). Enter the Hugo TT at $5000, i think Chord may struggle to compete with the Vega being $1500 more. If they were to price the Hugo TT at $3500 (equal to the Vega) Chord should be very competitive. Simply my opinion.

IMHO the biggest competition won't be any other brand's product but the original Hugo itself.

Having spent 9 months with Hugo I concluded it had been the best money EVER I had spent on anything audio related.

While I love to have, and value, the larger super caps and xlr and desktop sized connections, it still has to sound materially better than the Hugo for me to opt for the TT over Hugo at $2500 more.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #66 of 282
Fwiw when I was in the Chord room, I had the chance to chat with both John and Rob. I put the question straight to John. How much better in sound quality alone does the TT has over Hugo. John said that depends. I said everything being equal, sound track, source, headphone calble etc. John said with more demanding phones, TT will do even more better because of the power,but if everything being equal, he said it is about 10 percent better.

With Rob, I asked him the question if he thinks the Hugo can be further improved presently. He said it cannot unless there is new improvement on the hardware technology. He was referring to the Spartan chip's limitation of 26000 taps. Until new hardware comes along to allow him to increase the number of taps, the Hugo is reaching hardware limitation. I was also told that there is no upgrade to the Hugo at present, not even in terms of just upgrading the features.

With regard to price, I was told the price is listed at 3000 pounds that translate into about $4700.00 US dollars if that helps. So it is not quite 5K.

One little tidbit I also asked if there is any difference between the black and silver finish. I was told there is absolutely no difference between the finish.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #67 of 282
Fwiw when I was in the Chord room, I had the chance to chat with both John and Rob. I put the question straight to John. How much better in sound quality alone does the TT has over Hugo. John said that depends. I said everything being equal, sound track, source, headphone calble etc. John said with more demanding phones, TT will do even more better because of the power,but if everything being equal, he said it is about 10 percent better.

With Rob, I asked him the question if he thinks the Hugo can be further improved presently. He said it cannot unless there is new improvement on the hardware technology. He was referring to the Spartan chip's limitation of 26000 taps. Until new hardware comes along to allow him to increase the number of taps, the Hugo is reaching hardware limitation. I was also told that there is no upgrade to the Hugo at present, not even in terms of just upgrading the features.

With regard to price, I was told the price is listed at 3000 pounds that translate into about $4700.00 US dollars if that helps. So it is not quite 5K.

One little tidbit I also asked if there is any difference between the black and silver finish. I was told there is absolutely no difference between the finish.

Thanks for the info   Did you had a chance to speak about the next QBD (supposed to have much more taps !! ) ?

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #68 of 282

not that i hate Chord or something, i bought Chord Hugo, and it was the best money for the Value, we got a DAC that is as good as 3k USD DACs and a portable amplifier that is better than most of the portable amps if not the best among them, and i can use it as a DAC for my desktop system. 

so here comes the Chord Hugot TT,  with 5k USD price tag, if we say the DAC in it worth 3k USD, does this make the amp section worth 2k USD price tag?

if the TT  sound 10% better dac and amp wise , then this mean with this 5K price tag we still have to buy a high end amp, lets say Ragnarok or Master 9,  so wont this be sad to buy the TT for 5k usd?

in that case i see buying 2Qute DAC from Chord (1700$) and another companies high end amp (Rag or M9), is a better way to use a 5000$ for a desktop rig.

am i being wrong here?  

this is only if the amp section of the TT won't step it up for the price, if it can compete with other high end amps that worth 1600$-2000$, then i can say that the Chord Hugo TT really worth spending 5000$ without the intention to get another amplifier knowing that it wont add up, lets not forget that the TT is made for Desktop users.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #70 of 282
Think rob has posted lots of info why the Hugo DAC and amp section should be considered as one rather than separate

most of us Chord Hugo users, tend to use the Hugo as a DAC, when at home, i mean its a super DAC, so ofc i will be worried about the TT, when it comes to 5k USD

i am not saying i will not buy it, i love Chord company for making legendary rigs such as these, its just 2500$ Hugo Chord offer portability, which is why the amp section on it wasn't a deal breaker

but when we look at the Chord Hugo TT, there is no potability, the DAC is better yes, but god knows about the amp section.

as for me who is a serious head-fier and audiophile, i want the best possible amp next to my Chord's DAC, and if the integrated amp wont justify the 5k USD price thats auto skip for me and some others.

once again don't get the wrong idea, i am not hating or bashing, i love this company a lot,  after all they gave us the Chord Hugo.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #71 of 282
HUGO dac technology is the most sophisticated on the market. It's way better than DACs at ten times the price many of which are crude impimentations of the application notes of industry standard dac chips. HUGO and HUGO TT should not be compared to these simple crude designs.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #73 of 282
i love my Hugo. Use it in my home setup 99% of the time. Was really excited about the TT but if John says that "he feels there is only a 10%" increase in sound quality, I have a very very hard time justifying a new TT for a 200% price increase. Guess I will simply make due with my existing setup until they can improve the sq more. oh well :kissing:

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #74 of 282
i love my Hugo. Use it in my home setup 99% of the time. Was really excited about the TT but if John says that "he feels there is only a 10%" increase in sound quality, I have a very very hard time justifying a new TT for a 200% price increase. Guess I will simply make due with my existing setup until they can improve the sq more. oh well :kissing:

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back