The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,931 of 5,999
  I sorry to say that, to date, my experience with CEntrance and the HiFi-M8 as been less than satisfactory. I pre-ordered mid December and finally at the beginning of the month a HiFi-M8 eventually arrived. Unfortunately the unit I was sent turned out to be faulty. This was apparent within about 10 seconds of switching the unit on - intermittent crackling and spikes on the output, its particularly noticeable on the iDevice input. I was asked to return the unit to CEntrance which I did at some expense. All I'm getting out of CEntrance currently is "Sorry, but we're still trying to determine the cause of the problem" with no indication of when I'll get a proper working HiFi-M8.

The HiFi-M8 is now back with me and the issue has been sorted. There was a problem on the digital board which has been replaced.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,932 of 5,999

With the player paused does the turning of your volume pot make a hiss too? I get the background hiss AND additional noise from turning the volume pot. This additional noise seems more pronounced from the right channel, it is there on the left but significantly quieter.

Also, have any of you a situation where you've had the input selector switch set to idevice for example but no sound comes through. Switching it back to the middle and back to idevice brings it back to life?

cheers
JB

A little additional crackling when turning the pot, with a couple of spots at about 11 and 2 that were a little louder.  Again, not an issue to me, as I won't be purposely pausing the player to listen to the background electronic noise.  With music playing, I hear music only.  As a comment - IF I planned to use it a bunch with my ciems, I would consider the mod.  I think it is just reaching a bit too far to get a CIEM to HE6 device.  I think one of the two extremes becomes less ah, perfect.  Kind of like a crossover SUV.  Darned good at a lot of things, but throw it on a race track or the Rubicon trail, and you quickly realize there are better options in each of the extremes.  I wonder though if the low gain could have been dropped to or below 0.  Maybe 4 gain positions. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,934 of 5,999
  If I am having a cable made up to connect via the balanced 4 pin XLR socket, is the cable end male or female?

I want to be 100% sure that I order the right thing.

Thanks,
JB

The cable end is male, but a strange male, with 4 penises.  

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3,937 of 5,999
Just a note about the impedance switches.

They go from left 11,2,1ohm.

(Before we thought 1,2,11ohm but that was wrong)

See the hifi-m8 imressions thread for slightly more details.

Now go test those IEMs again! :wink:

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3,938 of 5,999
Just a note about the impedance switches.

They go from left 11,2,1ohm.

(Before we thought 1,2,11ohm but that was wrong)

See the hifi-m8 imressions thread for slightly more details.

Now go test those IEMs again!
wink.gif

That does make sense with the perceived increases in gain/volume.. was wondering about that myself - thanks!

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #3,939 of 5,999
Yes, I have some pictures of the cable prototype but my better half had commandeered the laptop for the evening Tomorrow!

Edit:Today!

Here are the pictures of the upcoming Venturecraft lightning LOD.
The length will be the same as their 30pin LOD, so shorter than the prototype pictured here.

From the top:
Old/current version-Apple lightning adapter shrink wrapped to an angled USB cable.
Upcoming lightning cable.
Current 30pin design (The upcoming lightning will be this length).

Any info on this cable - availability in the US, link, price?

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3,942 of 5,999
wall wart...not usb...and still charging now...i think is 7 hours + by now...so long...

BTW...just received confirmation from Rudi0504, he said takes about something like 10 hours to get it done...WOOOOW...not sure how big the batt is..but 10 hours is very long for the wait....

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #3,943 of 5,999
wall wart...not usb...and still charging now...i think is 7 hours + by now...so long...

BTW...just received confirmation from Rudi0504, he said takes about something like 10 hours to get it done...WOOOOW...not sure how big the batt is..but 10 hours is very long for the wait....

That's odd. It took me like 2hrs to charge M8( not connected to iDevice, using centrance power supply)

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #3,944 of 5,999
How does one charge it through USB? I haven't really looked at time when I charge it but it certainly doesn't take 10 hours. Even less than 5 hours it charges both a depleted iPad and itself through wall wart. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back