The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #3,946 of 5,999
That's odd. It took me like 2hrs to charge M8( not connected to iDevice, using centrance power supply)

This is interesting...i think i will have to confirm with the shop once again...me too think this seems not right. 3 hours still acceptable for me...but 10 hours is getting funny and even now still not yet full my batt...
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,947 of 5,999
Also, have any of you a situation where you've had the input selector switch set to idevice for example but no sound comes through. Switching it back to the middle and back to idevice brings it back to life?  
cheers
JB

Not sure if you got a response to this yet, but this was an issue with my M8 / ipod Classic combo as well.  I've been in communication with Centrance about this over the past couple months.  Please send your feedback to Michael and crew along with the ipod model you're using - is it a Classic?

I've since picked up the 5G Touch, and along with its (IMO) superior sound quality, I've had no issues with dropouts / lock ups.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,948 of 5,999
  wall wart...not usb...and still charging now...i think is 7 hours + by now...so long...

BTW...just received confirmation from Rudi0504, he said takes about something like 10 hours to get it done...WOOOOW...not sure how big the batt is..but 10 hours is very long for the wait....

I'm now curious how different the power grid is here in the States, compared to Indonesia...

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,950 of 5,999
Got my LX/4XL a few days ago, the batt was just totally flat that even plugging in the device to my laptop wont fire it up. Not LED is light up while changing the power level at all. I then use the supplied power supply to charge it over night. It took about 24 hours for it to be fully charge. Is this normal?

After full charge, i brought to my office for testing, without the supplied power supply coz i am thinking that USB power should be sufficient for normal usage. This is LX version, so, definitely it wont be charging any device connected to it. It was plugged in for a good 8 hours++, with about 3 hours of usage. While not using it, i switch it off to conserve battery. At the end of my work day, i saw that the battery level indicator drops to 2 LED instead of 3 in the morning. Is there anything wrong with my unit? What is the proper way to contact centrance? Mr Goodman seems to be occupied lately.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3,951 of 5,999
Here in indonesia we use 220volt. I also did the charge using the supplied power supply via the wall ward, mine when I received the unit..one led indikator still light up..I use it until totally drained...then I did the charge...took me about 10 hours ++ to make it fully charged. (My unit is the idevice compatible - not the LX one btw)

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #3,952 of 5,999
have you seen this $999 DAP (DSD; 192 Gb, OLED 5" screen...) ?  Will be great with the HIfI M8 ... if it has digital out .

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3,953 of 5,999
I'm still gathering my thoughts to write a mini-review (which I'll post on the other M8 thread)... but, in the meantime I can say that after spending a couple weeks with the M8 - I'm pretty damn impressed. I was actually looking for an excuse to sell it at first, as I needed some cash for a DAC upgrade for my desktop system. Well I just couldn't bring myself to part with it.

It's very very good with the iPod touch 5G running balanced out with my CIEM's. Detail, separation, and soundstage are fantastic. (Is it me or is the depth especially good? maybe just the pairing with my specific CIEM's?). LCD-3's on it are no slouch but honestly not up to the level of my full rig. Comparing it with my full system, it's not a fair fight. But keeping expectations realistic, it's pretty amazing for a portable setup. Could it go up against a desktop system in a more similar price range? Absolutely! Going from memory, comparing to the DACmini...I prefer the M8. SQ is right up there, close to the DACmini. But the flexibility and tone shaping (not to mention portability!) push the M8 wayyyyy past the DACmini in my book. (My preferences of course) I have no complaints being able to take the LCD-3 around the house, in the yard, etc. and I don't miss the desktop system at all while taking the big cans portable. It's amazingly good in that regard but even more so with my CIEM's, in my very humble opinion. 

Anyway- I have made version 2 (V2?) of the mini lightning digital M8 cable. Nice, sturdy double shrink around the USB plugs (and even slightly shorter wire on the black one). The first one I posted a week or so ago has been holding up well, and I have NOT been gentle with it. I have been bending, pulling etc on it trying to see if it would fail. (While not attached to the M8 of course)...Hasn't failed!

The next version will be made with this mil-spec silver plated copper wire, braided as in the pic. Just waiting to get some in black. Black is sleeker and ninja-like. 

I'm going to get parts to build a few more of these, probably with the braided black SPC wire. If anyone is interested in one of these cables, please PM me, and I'll know to get enough parts. I'd be happy to make a few up for other members. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,954 of 5,999
  I'm still gathering my thoughts to write a mini-review (which I'll post on the other M8 thread)... but, in the meantime I can say that after spending a couple weeks with the M8 - I'm pretty damn impressed. I was actually looking for an excuse to sell it at first, as I needed some cash for a DAC upgrade for my desktop system. Well I just couldn't bring myself to part with it.

It's very very good with the iPod touch 5G running balanced out with my CIEM's. Detail, separation, and soundstage are fantastic. (Is it me or is the depth especially good? maybe just the pairing with my specific CIEM's?). LCD-3's on it are no slouch but honestly not up to the level of my full rig. Comparing it with my full system, it's not a fair fight. But keeping expectations realistic, it's pretty amazing for a portable setup. Could it go up against a desktop system in a more similar price range? Absolutely! Going from memory, comparing to the DACmini...I prefer the M8. SQ is right up there, close to the DACmini. But the flexibility and tone shaping (not to mention portability!) push the M8 wayyyyy past the DACmini in my book. (My preferences of course) I have no complaints being able to take the LCD-3 around the house, in the yard, etc. and I don't miss the desktop system at all while taking the big cans portable. It's amazingly good in that regard but even more so with my CIEM's, in my very humble opinion. 

Anyway- I have made version 2 (V2?) of the mini lightning digital M8 cable. Nice, sturdy double shrink around the USB plugs (and even slightly shorter wire on the black one). The first one I posted a week or so ago has been holding up well, and I have NOT been gentle with it. I have been bending, pulling etc on it trying to see if it would fail. (While not attached to the M8 of course)...Hasn't failed!

The next version will be made with this mil-spec silver plated copper wire, braided as in the pic. Just waiting to get some in black. Black is sleeker and ninja-like. 

I'm going to get parts to build a few more of these, probably with the braided black SPC wire. If anyone is interested in one of these cables, please PM me, and I'll know to get enough parts. I'd be happy to make a few up for other members. 

Ha!  From your profile, your desktop rig is among the best.  For my needs, the M8 is just awesomely good.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #3,955 of 5,999
  Ha!  From your profile, your desktop rig is among the best.  For my needs, the M8 is just awesomely good.

Yes, my desktop is a pretty good system (my opinion/preference).

I think the thing I'm trying to say is: Although the M8 may not match a really high end desktop system... ( I mean really who expects that anyway? )...It certainly throws some pretty hard punches in that direction.  And it may hold it's own against a middle-range desktop system. That's not bad at all. And what I find surprising about the M8 is that when I go from the desktop rig to the M8, I'm not thinking "Oh this is B.S......" and craving to plug back into the full rig. It is completely enjoyable in it's own right, does lots of right things! It's not lacking or majorly deficient in any way. The difference between the M8 (great performance and flexibility = great value) and the full system are not as great as price difference may suggest and of course deep into the diminishing returns category. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3,956 of 5,999
I am considering the RSA Intruder or the HiFi M8 to use with my Galaxy Note 3.
Has anyone had any experience with the Note 3 and either/both of these?

Also, does the regular non LX version of the HiFi m8 worth with android devices as well? Or is the firmware set for iDevices only?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,959 of 5,999
  I am considering the RSA Intruder or the HiFi M8 to use with my Galaxy Note 3.
Has anyone had any experience with the Note 3 and either/both of these?

Also, does the regular non LX version of the HiFi m8 worth with android devices as well? Or is the firmware set for iDevices only?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

I only have a Note II so can't help you directly, but just as a data point, I like the M8 better than the Intruder (have heard it a couple times).  The iDevice version and the LX version function the same when used as a USB DAC.  So far, it requires the use of USB Audio Recorder Pro to work properly.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,960 of 5,999
Hey everyone, been searching through the thread, but I can't seem to find any info about it. Does anyone know if the M8's battery exceeds 20 Wh/cell, or 100 Wh per battery/pack? need the info for shipping purposes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back