The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,916 of 5,999
I do remember there being a lot of folks warning others to not purchase the LX version because one time it worked with IOS7 via CCK. Apple had another update for IOS7 last week and that might be the culprit in changing LX's ability to work with an iDevice. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,917 of 5,999
Ok, I understand, my DAC Mini seems to work with both iPhone/IPAD via CCK, likely because it is only24/96 and not 24/192.
In any case my understanding is DAC advertise an entire set of sample rates and not just the highest rate they support.
In theory iOS should have seen 24/96 as a supported sample rate in the list.

Not complaining here, maybe was not good enough at hiding my disappointment
wink_face.gif
 sorry about that, mainly trying to understand from others experience if it is possible to make iPhone/IPAD work via USB using the CCK under IOS 7.0 ?

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,918 of 5,999
My IDevice M8 works with cck (lighting) with iphone 5, and ipad 4 running ios7....obviously no need to use the type b port this way but thought I'd check for you.....fwiw the cck (lighting) requires an additional power source when using a DacPort just as the 30pin did with earlier iOS......

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,921 of 5,999
Keep the CCK plugged in, reboot phone while HiFiM8 plugged-in into CCK, problem solved!
Had done numerous reboots of my IOS devices earlier, but looks like IOS checks for "new devices" at startup. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3,922 of 5,999
     The volume pot on the hifi-m8 is better than one on the dacport.  I've noticed no problems with mine.

Hope this helps...
Jerry

Thanks! What about sound? Have you compared the DACPort and HiFi-M8 side by side? Do they sound the same? If not, in what way(s) do they differ? (Compared to my other sources CLAS -dB + ALO Audio Rx Mk3 | TTVJ Portable | Portaphile 627, the DACPort is the winner) Also, has anyone tried the HiFi-M8 with extremely sensitive IEMs such as the FitEar 334? What about hiss and channel imbalance with sensitive IEMs?

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #3,923 of 5,999
I'm using it with my Heir Audio 8A and I'm too lazy to check their sensitivity but I hear no hiss or channel imbalance whatsoever. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #3,924 of 5,999
  Thanks! What about sound? Have you compared the DACPort and HiFi-M8 side by side? Do they sound the same? If not, in what way(s) do they differ? (Compared to my other sources CLAS -dB + ALO Audio Rx Mk3 | TTVJ Portable | Portaphile 627, the DACPort is the winner) Also, has anyone tried the HiFi-M8 with extremely sensitive IEMs such as the FitEar 334? What about hiss and channel imbalance with sensitive IEMs?

I do not hear any hiss using the 334 on the M8 LX. However, when not playing any music, there is a very faint hissing sound as I turn up (adjust) the volume. Otherwise, the M8 is silent to me. And there is no channel imbalance on my unit. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3,925 of 5,999

I do not hear any hiss using the 334 on the M8 LX. However, when not playing any music, there is a very faint hissing sound as I turn up (adjust) the volume. Otherwise, the M8 is silent to me. And there is no channel imbalance on my unit. 

At the risk of a "me too", I can confirm the same "faint hiss" when adjusting volume (seems higher past 12-1 oclock) with no music playing when using:
 UM3X
and
 SE215
IEMs.

not worried about it in the least.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #3,926 of 5,999
These comments about M8 with c/iems are very nice to read. No hiss when music is there? That's good enough for me. Now only if Mr Goodman would build another version with COAX INPUT... Sigh...

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,927 of 5,999
  These comments about M8 with c/iems are very nice to read. No hiss when music is there? That's good enough for me. Now only if Mr Goodman would build another version with COAX INPUT... Sigh...

+1 
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #3,928 of 5,999
I've read about Iron Lung and the IEM mod and when I use Fitear 111's with M8 I can hear hiss/noise when no music is playing. However I also get a noise with the same IEMs when turning the volume pot, a hissing sound also. I haven't read all of the posts on this thread so apologies if it has been covered before, but if not has anyone else experienced the same thing.

I understand what the mod does to assist with sensitive IEM's but I don't want to go down that road as I use the M8 with full size headphones too and don't want to compromise its capability with them or any other full size cans I may use in the future - ideally I'd like all bases covered from sensitive IEMs up to and including the ability to drive large headphones.

Also, I'm in the UK so the thought of a lengthy returns process for the modification doesn't appeal.

JB

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3,929 of 5,999
  I've read about Iron Lung and the IEM mod and when I use Fitear 111's with M8 I can hear hiss/noise when no music is playing. However I also get a noise with the same IEMs when turning the volume pot, a hissing sound also. I haven't read all of the posts on this thread so apologies if it has been covered before, but if not has anyone else experienced the same thing.

I understand what the mod does to assist with sensitive IEM's but I don't want to go down that road as I use the M8 with full size headphones too and don't want to compromise its capability with them or any other full size cans I may use in the future - ideally I'd like all bases covered from sensitive IEMs up to and including the ability to drive large headphones.

Also, I'm in the UK so the thought of a lengthy returns process for the modification doesn't appeal.

JB

Sounds like you've answered your own question.  I have 1964 ear quads.  If I put my player on pause, I do hear background hiss.  The hiss varies when I turn the pot, and has a couple of hot spots far above safe listening volume.  When music is playing, I do not hear hiss.  Like you, I am not interested in the IEM mod.  I seldom use IEM's with the HIFI-M8.  the Quads are pretty sensitive, and fairly low impedance.  My take, I don't care about quiet hiss on pause, and I do not hear hiss with music playing.  There is enough volume travel to get good listening levels and no channel imbalance.  There is not a lot of adjustment range in the volume between quiet and too loud, but there is enough for my needs.

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #3,930 of 5,999

...The hiss varies when I turn the pot...

With the player paused does the turning of your volume pot make a hiss too? I get the background hiss AND additional noise from turning the volume pot. This additional noise seems more pronounced from the right channel, it is there on the left but significantly quieter.

Also, have any of you a situation where you've had the input selector switch set to idevice for example but no sound comes through. Switching it back to the middle and back to idevice brings it back to life?

cheers
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back