The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #3,481 of 5,999
The waiting is indeed killing me...hopefully the next round of shipments will get the rest of the pre-orders....

I've got the itch so bad.  According to the schedule mine is supposed to be ready by the 16th of Sept, but no word yet.  Just had a birthday, so I am in a particularly "I need something new to play with" mood.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,482 of 5,999

I've got the itch so bad.  According to the schedule mine is supposed to be ready by the 16th of Sept, but no word yet.  Just had a birthday, so I am in a particularly "I need something new to play with" mood.

Well, just to be clear (and kind of a wanker) I really like mine....
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,483 of 5,999
Question regarding the Bass switch: I currently use Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors, which are particularly neutral. While I enjoy their sound, I've been tempted to move to UE's 18 Pro, which reportedly have stronger bass. Do you think using the Reference Monitors with the Bass switch engaged would help bridge that gap and bring them closer to the bass of the 18 Pro's? Or is the bass boost so subtle it wouldn't make much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #3,493 of 5,999
Sep 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3,494 of 5,999
From everything that I've read,  it seems like the M8 is currently at least a step above the current highest level of portable dac/amps, especially when it comes to power.  However,  I often see pairs for it qualified with "for a mobile".   This makes me wonder how far off it really is from desktop components.  

The specs, at least on the DAC, read as good or better than many desktop DAC's in the entry to even mid-range,  but I understand that specs really dont tell the story of sound.  So how does it sound in comparison to a desktop setup?  

Logic would make me think that a well spent $600 desktop components would result in better sound than the M8,  just because so much of the expense form the M8 come with creating mobility and conservation of space is expensive,  where as desktops deal with a "space is free"  situation,   but is this actually the case?  

How does the M8's sound stack up to ~$600 spent on Schiit or Audio-GD or any of the other good value desktop setups in a similar price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back