The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3,466 of 5,999
I got mine last week, and am really enjoying it in balanced mode on HD-650s, driven from USB on my Mac.

The treble, bass, and gain switches all have very obvious effects. Treble and bass of course depends on your source material: the music has to have a lot of energy in the areas where the filters work for it to sound obvious. I'm running at lowest gain, with the volume knob at about 2 o'clock, which is plenty for most music for me. I might turn it up more for classical since the average level is lower.

The impedance switch is pretty subtle, and I'm not sure I can reliably hear a difference on my headphones.  But again, I think with high-Z headphones like Sennheisers, the effect won't be very obvious because the impedance of the headphones will be the biggest thing in the circuit. And if the impedance curve is pretty smooth and flat (like the Senn's), then the differences won't be pronounced either. I bet the difference will be more obvious on the HD-800s which have a bigger impedance bump in the bass (it will sound bassier with increased output impedance on the M8), but it will still be pretty subtle since the 800's input Z is even higher than the 650's.

The effect on the Grado SR-60 will sound different again because it has much lower input impedance, and its impedance is pretty much flat. On those, I'd predict lower overall volumes as the M8's impedance goes higher.

A pair of Ety 4s will probably sound shelved in the upper treble. This one I can actually test out since I have a pair of those, and will try out soon.

This is all to say that the impedance switch's effect depends very much on the headphones you're using.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #3,467 of 5,999
So, anybody anxious about tomorrow's Apple announcement?  I have my fingers crossed for a 128gb iPod Touch, and 24/96 support in IOS7 in the fine print...

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,468 of 5,999
Yer a regular pollyanna, ain'tcha? 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,469 of 5,999
  So, anybody anxious about tomorrow's Apple announcement?  I have my fingers crossed for a 128gb iPod Touch, and 24/96 support in IOS7 in the fine print...

I will still get the 5S as I am due for an upgrade, but lately I just don't care about them as much as I used to be.  The new Sony NWZ-ZX1 is something that I will look forward to more.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3,472 of 5,999

I had the exact same problems with the treble shaping switch. I cannot hear any difference switching between the impedance options. These switches feel Loose.

The bass shaping switch seems to work but the differences are subtle.

As suggested by M. Goodman, I sent my unit to Centrance and it should arrive in Morton Grove, today. 

I think it's here. We'll turn it around asap. Thanks for helping us get the bugs out on this first run!

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3,473 of 5,999
  Thanks Nitrile for the test links, I don't really hear any difference when the gain switch is set to 1 (lowest) on the pink noise. But setting it to 2 and turning the volume knob at 12 o'clock position then I can start to hear the difference but like you said it's very subtle. Going from position 1 to 3 doesn't make much difference. The clicks from changing the switch position is louder than the actual boost level.

As for the brown noise I really can't hear any difference even at gain switch set to 2. I can only hear the clicks from changing the switch position sounding louder as I turn the volume or/and gain level up.

It sounds like there may in fact be a switch problem. We test everything 100% before it leaves the door, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Please email us at info at centrance dot com and we will arrange for the repair.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #3,474 of 5,999
my Hifi-m8 LX is solid. All switches work and are solid. The treble and bass switches are subtle and only affect their respective frequencies. 

I don't use the treble switch. I do find myself using the bass at the middle position with the Mad Dogs, and at times with my Grado RS2.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound like a robot^ ...Ha!
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,475 of 5,999

It sounds like there may in fact be a switch problem. We test everything 100% before it leaves the door, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Please email us at info at centrance dot com and we will arrange for the repair.

Thanks Mr Goodman. I'm thinking of going down to Jaben Singapore to compare my hifi-m8 with their Demo unit first.

I remember auditioning their demo unit a week ago but did not fiddle much on Bass/Treble boos.t I only checked the effect of the gain and output impedance switches for most of the time I'm doing the demo. I got hooked with the SQ and bought M8 on the spot. :)

I'll definitely shoot a mail if my unit turns out to be needing a repair. Thanks

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #3,476 of 5,999

Thanks Mr Goodman. I'm thinking of going down to Jaben Singapore to compare my hifi-m8 with their Demo unit first.

I remember auditioning their demo unit a week ago but did not fiddle much on Bass/Treble boos.t I only checked the effect of the gain and output impedance switches for most of the time I'm doing the demo. I got hooked with the SQ and bought M8 on the spot.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll definitely shoot a mail if my unit turns out to be needing a repair. Thanks

Got mine from Jaben as well. Auditioned it and bought it on the spot cos it was that good.
If it really is faulty maybe you could just hold on to it a little longer until the 24/96 issue is worked out, then you would only need to send it in once. Heh.
Is yours the CMB or 4XL version?

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,477 of 5,999

Got mine from Jaben as well. Auditioned it and bought it on the spot cos it was that good.
If it really is faulty maybe you could just hold on to it a little longer until the 24/96 issue is worked out, then you would only need to send it in once. Heh.
Is yours the CMB or 4XL version?

I got the CMB version. I was actually thinking of getting the XL4 only realized I got the CMB version when I'm already home.

To my excitement, as soon as I finished the audition I mmediately asked the guy from Jaben to give me one m8 for iDevice and quickly ran home :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #3,478 of 5,999
mgoodman said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's here. We'll turn it around asap. Thanks for helping us get the bugs out on this first run!

I noticed one more thing about the treble shaping switch. In addition to it engaging between the second and third positions, this also significantly increases the SPL as if the volume pot is cranked up.

@M.G. - Thank you for the fast reply. I look forward to hearing about the cause of the problem and the fix.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #3,479 of 5,999
I noticed one more thing about the treble shaping switch. In addition to it engaging between the second and third positions, this also significantly increases the SPL as if the volume pot is cracked up.

Thank you for the fast reply. I look forward to hearing about the cause of the problem and the fix.

Same here with my unit. if I put the switch in between 2 and 3 position for the treble switch. That is the only time I hear a difference in sound and the effect is if you suddenly turn up the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back