The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3,438 of 5,999
  Very nice, and again good luck.

Thank you
happy_face1.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,439 of 5,999
Another contender for pairing with the HiFi-8 :   The Samsung Note 3 that is supposed to "support" 24/192 Khz.  

But... what do they mean by "support" ???  This is the question !!

Anyway:  Size is [COLOR=333333]151,2 x 79,2 x 8,3 mm. Perfect to sit on top of the M8[/COLOR] (127 mm x 82 mm)
              [COLOR=333333]Capacity = 64 Gb internal + MicroSD 64 Gb = Total 128 Gb (192 Gb when 128 Gb MicroSD be Available[/COLOR]:D [COLOR=333333])[/COLOR]

more detail.
http://www.sogi.com.tw/newforum/article_list.aspx?topic_id=6218651
http://www.kocpc.com.tw/archives/3103

My s4 does 24/192 hi res already. Also, I got the 32gb version along with a 64gb sd. Stacks up perfectly on top of the hifi m8.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3,440 of 5,999
I received my M8 3 days ago and have been taking it through its paces. I like what I am hearing. It has enough power to drive even the difficult to drive HE-6 to acceptable SPL, though without much headroom. Everything else I throw at it is handled with finesse, clarity, and pleasing SQ.

All the switches for impedance, gain, and tone shaping work as designed except for the treble tone shaping switch. The only way I can obtain the highest tone shaping is by finagling the switch half-way between the middle and highest position. I assume there is a problem with the treble tone shaping switch such that it does not make a good connection when fully engaged in the highest position (far right). Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I am going to have to send my M8 back for a check-up. Since I also have to return my Dacmini for repair of the RCA Line OUT (Right Channel) problem, I will be DACless in Memphis until their return.  I have complete confidence, though, that Centrance will handle these problems as they have with previous issues...with fast turn-around and problems solved.

EDIT: Looks like my attempt to edit was lost during a head-fi maintenance "time out."  O.K...so here goes again... I hope this doesn't result in a double edit.

I mistakenly had the gain switch set to medium when first testing with HE-6 and the volume was not loud enough. I discovered my error and set the gain switch to High. This delivers more SPL than I can stand with the volume pot set at full volume. At 12 o'clock, the SPL is ~ 85 to 90 dB. I prefer it set to 11 o'clock so there is plenty of headroom for me, after all. There is no difference running with the power supply vs the battery.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #3,441 of 5,999
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

anyone care to address the info from this site.
I just called one of the audiophile shops in town and explained I was going to use my iphone as my source with a hifim8 and they told me using an iphone you wont hear all the music and it was a mistake.

yet i do some research and this guy in the link above says you will get full 20 to 20 cleanly and flat response and that it is better then most Dacs. ANy iphone experts out there? If its off topic let me know but  ordered my HIFIM8 and am curious as to how true this is.

thanks

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #3,442 of 5,999
I am not quite sure what to think.  Ultrasone is not exactly known for their SQ and frequency response consistency on their headphone lines, and a lot of their stuff has some weird things going on that doesn't make them a very good reference test case (specially with their S-Logic stuff).  Also you are using the USB out for the M8, not the headphone out, so there is no way that you are not hearing all the music that your cans and the M8 can pump out.  Besides, you might get 20-20 clean flat responses, but at 600 ohms I doubt you can get enough volume and enjoy them very much.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3,443 of 5,999

I just called one of the audiophile shops in town and explained I was going to use my iphone as my source with a hifim8 and they told me using an iphone you wont hear all the music and it was a mistake.

yet i do some research and this guy in the link above says you will get full 20 to 20 cleanly and flat response and that it is better then most Dacs. ANy iphone experts out there? If its off topic let me know but  ordered my HIFIM8 and am curious as to how true this is.

thanks

Well you are talking about two different ways to use the iphone. The specs referred to in that article are using the DAC and amplifier in the iphone 5, right out of the headphone jack. Yes, it has a very flat response and good specs. I use a 5G iPod touch, which is very simliar to the iphone 5. Personally, I think it makes for a pretty darn good source. It sounds very very good right from the headphone jack. Many "audiophiles" love to bash Apple products for whatever reason but I find little to dislike about the 5G touch. It sounds good and is very convenient. But there is still room for improvement. 

Now using the iPod/iphone with the Hi-Fi M8...The i-device is just used as a transport. The M8 extracts the digital signal from the i-device, just a stream of 1's and 0's. Then the M8 uses it's DAC and headphone amplifier to process the signal. Much better quality hardware doing the "heavy lifting". So your "audiophile" shop probably doesn't understand what the M8 does...that's why they would say an i-device is not a good source. It's an ideal source. It's what it was designed for!

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,444 of 5,999
Very true, and the sad fact is that the great majority of iDevice owners will only use the crap stock buds with them, and I think that's where the stigma comes from.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,445 of 5,999

I saw your post on the X5 thread about using your M8 with coax SPDIF input with your X5, and I think your expectations about what "near future" means needs recalibration. Michael literally parroted back what you wanted to hear, but his definition is not the same as yours. You and hoichi are late to the party on this ongoing conversation about adding coax SPDIF to the M8. This is what Michael said on the impressions thread:

and

Quote:

So I think that your time frame and Michael's are just a wee bit out out synch, and that coax SPDIF input is not planned anytime soon, at least for this M8 release version, and maybe not the M8 product at all.

Unless of course somehow Michael has had a complete change of face after all your effective cajoling... 
wink.gif
   But I think that you're setting yourself up for a crashing disappointment.  In the near term.

Any statements that express, or involve discussions as to, expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, assumptions, or future events or performance, often, but not always, through the use of words or phrases such as "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "projects," "may result," "may continue," or similar expressions, are not statements of historical facts and may be forward-looking. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve estimates, assumptions, risks, and uncertainties. 

Other than that, we will try really hard. I promise. :)

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3,446 of 5,999

thanks

My iPhone 4S has good audio quality from the headphone jack. As highlighted from the poster above, the most limiting factor of SQ is the headphones. So it depends what headphones you are using, and the impact the external DAC/AMP will have. Best way to know if you NEED a M8 is to listen to one with your own setup.

I actually don't NEED my M8, but use it when I can. Just like how I don't NEED sourdough bread, but prefer to have it over regular white bread.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3,447 of 5,999
  Hmm... I've been considering maybe putting in an order for the HiFi-M8 to use mostly as a desktop/home (USB -> laptop/PC) DAC to replace my current EMU 0404 USB (w/ the AK4396 24/192 chip, interestingly the new Cypher Labs product(s) is also using this chip, albeit with much better implementation than on the 0404 USB), although I've had a bunch of questions about how it works and issues with the 24/96 upgrade firmware, shipping times, ASIO/PC drivers, etc.

Would it be best to order it from the CEntrance Store to get it the fastest? Are the non-LX models that are offered in the store and at some vendors like TTVJ/Moon Audio/HeadRoom w/ the chip that will allow future flashing for 24/96 iDevice compatibility (or will you still need to ship them in)? Is the "mod" that fixes the background hiss for sensitive IEMs available, and if it is, does it affect use with non-IEMs (I'm mostly asking in-case I decide on sensitive IEMs in the future)?

Also, what version would be the best to get if I wanted to use it with Ray Samuels-type amps? I've been considering either the XL4 or RSA versions, but I'd probably only use the 1/8 mini out -> my SR-71 until later if I decide to get an SR-71B... oh, and is the 1/8 mini out a "true line out" to an SR-71 or other amp (or what is the set-up for line-out to amp uses?) If I do get the RSA version and connect the RSA HiFi-M8 to an SR-71B in the future, would I have to use RSA/balanced terminated headphones with the SR-71B, or would the SR-71B's mini out be up to par? Is there any benefit to the XL4 version over the RSA version?

And finally, what is the realistic waiting-period currently for new orders on the HiFi-M8, and how are the ASIO and other drivers for PC? Thanks!

That's a lot of questions, but let me try:
- ASIO driver on PC is actually what CEntrance started with and truly shines at. We've been developing ASIO drivers and licensing them to dozens of companies in the Pro Audio world since 2002, so rest assured, we've got you covered.
- If you order from the CEntrance store, delivery will be in 4-6 weeks. Basically, mid October. Some stores may have stock, but you have to ask around.
- You probably want the RSA version
- I don't really recommend the low-noise mod, but if you insist, we can do that. Dealers won't have the modded versions. Too many models already.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3,448 of 5,999
Yeah 2 more months until i get my hifiM8.

I like your answers and personally i never realized the iphone was this good for output. I just find it more convenient and i an impressed with the results of this internet site provided they are true.

Dr sheep
So why do you think it would not drive 600 ohm cabs it says the hifiM8 will drive 600 ohm cans

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #3,449 of 5,999
  To be honest, I recently purchased an end game ciem and now started save money for a proper dap+amp+dac rig. It will take me some time to save as you can understand (I am still a student, doing master). So I have some time in front of me to wait and see what will come in the future.

I trust in Centrance. I always like companies who listen to their customers (FiiO is also one of them, big kudos to James). That's how you gain respect. So while there is time in front of me, I prefer to wait and keep on reading. At the end I know, whichever the gear I choose, there will be Centrance product in it.

Why, thank you. That warms our hearts!

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3,450 of 5,999
  I received my M8 3 days ago and have been taking it through its paces. I like what I am hearing. It has enough power to drive even the difficult to drive HE-6 to acceptable SPL, though without much headroom. Everything else I throw at it is handled with finesse, clarity, and pleasing SQ.

All the switches for impedance, gain, and tone shaping work as designed except for the treble tone shaping switch. The only way I can obtain the highest tone shaping is by finagling the switch half-way between the middle and highest position. I assume there is a problem with the treble tone shaping switch such that it does not make a good connection when fully engaged in the highest position (far right). Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I am going to have to send my M8 back for a check-up. Since I also have to return my Dacmini for repair of the RCA Line OUT (Right Channel) problem, I will be DACless in Memphis until their return.  I have complete confidence, though, that Centrance will handle these problems as they have with previous issues...with fast turn-around and problems solved.

EDIT: Looks like my attempt to edit was lost during a head-fi maintenance "time out."  O.K...so here goes again... I hope this doesn't result in a double edit.

I mistakenly had the gain switch set to medium when first testing with HE-6 and the volume was not loud enough. I discovered my error and set the gain switch to High. This delivers more SPL than I can stand with the volume pot set at full volume. At 12 o'clock, the SPL is ~ 85 to 90 dB. I prefer it set to 11 o'clock so there is plenty of headroom for me, after all. There is no difference running with the power supply vs the battery.

Please contact us at info at centrance dot com and we will make sure your treble switch is fixed. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back