The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #3,421 of 5,999

I saw your post on the X5 thread about using your M8 with coax SPDIF input with your X5, and I think your expectations about what "near future" means needs recalibration. Michael literally parroted back what you wanted to hear, but his definition is not the same as yours. You and hoichi are late to the party on this ongoing conversation about adding coax SPDIF to the M8. This is what Michael said on the impressions thread:

and

Quote:

So I think that your time frame and Michael's are just a wee bit out out synch, and that coax SPDIF input is not planned anytime soon, at least for this M8 release version, and maybe not the M8 product at all.

Unless of course somehow Michael has had a complete change of face after all your effective cajoling... 
wink.gif
   But I think that you're setting yourself up for a crashing disappointment.  In the near term.

Thanks for all the clairification jacal, I guess we do what this hobby demands: Keep on waiting 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #3,422 of 5,999

I saw your post on the X5 thread about using your M8 with coax SPDIF input with your X5, and I think your expectations about what "near future" means needs recalibration. Michael literally parroted back what you wanted to hear, but his definition is not the same as yours. You and hoichi are late to the party on this ongoing conversation about adding coax SPDIF to the M8. So I think that your time frame and Michael's are just a wee bit out out synch, and that coax SPDIF input is not planned anytime soon, at least for this M8 release version, and maybe not the M8 product at all.

Unless of course somehow Michael has had a complete change of face after all your effective cajoling... 
wink.gif
   But I think that you're setting yourself up for a crashing disappointment.  In the near term.

No, I've read what Michael said back in the thread so I didn't have my hopes too high. But since folks in the X5 thread (we're late to the party there too, it seems) said: “hey, go to CEntrance”, they do listen, we thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
So (to reiterate our cajoling
wink.gif
), I do think the M8 might benefit from coaxial more than it benefits from optical: the X3 is out, the DX50 is in preorder and the X5 should be in the market early next year, I guess; whereas for optical sources we have the DX100 and the AK1x0: not the most attractive options if you don't have them already and want to build your rig around the M8.
But since the M8 seems to fare pretty well as it is (and deservingly so, at least from all I've read) and since Michael's hand are pretty full already, I'd completely understand if there'd be no revisions and updates for the M8 for quite a while. Like I said, I'd be more than content picking the iDevice version by the time I raise the funds :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #3,423 of 5,999

Oh my.  Where to start?...  I think Michael should field this one.  Again.

Or jinbara002 needs to start reading back posts.

I think jinbara is merely treating their posts like one would do in a blog, and just venting his/her fustration...

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #3,424 of 5,999
Another contender for pairing with the HiFi-8 :   The Samsung Note 3 that is supposed to "support" 24/192 Khz.  

But... what do they mean by "support" ???  This is the question !!

Anyway:  Size is 
151,2 x 79,2 x 8,3 mm. Perfect to sit on top of the M8 (127 mm x 82 mm)

Capacity = 64 Gb internal + MicroSD 64 Gb = Total 128 Gb (192 Gb when 128 Gb MicroSD be Available
size]

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #3,425 of 5,999
  Another contender for pairing with the HiFi-8 :   The Samsung Note 3 that is supposed to "support" 24/192 Khz.  

But... what do they mean by "support" ???  This is the question !!

Anyway:   Size is 
151,2 x 79,2 x 8,3 mm.  perfect to sit on top of the M8 ! 

Capacity = 64 Gb internal + MicroSD 64 Gb = Total 128 Gb  ( and 196 Gb when 128 Gb MicroSD will be Available !  
size]

Ahh great minds think alike. I hope they didn't only release a 16GB version. But to the question: I would venture a guess to say the internal DAC is capable of decoding 24/192 music?

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #3,427 of 5,999
  does anyone know what an iphone5 output is through the digital output aka lightning cable. it doesnt list on apples website and I am very curious.
Could it be 24/192??

Yes Lightning is digital, but it is only 16/48.  CEntrance is trying to crack the nut and get it up to 24/96 native with iDevices with their HiFi-M8.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #3,430 of 5,999
  No, I've read what Michael said back in the thread so I didn't have my hopes too high. But since folks in the X5 thread (we're late to the party there too, it seems) said: “hey, go to CEntrance”, they do listen, we thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
So (to reiterate our cajoling
wink.gif
), I do think the M8 might benefit from coaxial more than it benefits from optical: the X3 is out, the DX50 is in preorder and the X5 should be in the market early next year, I guess; whereas for optical sources we have the DX100 and the AK1x0: not the most attractive options if you don't have them already and want to build your rig around the M8.
But since the M8 seems to fare pretty well as it is (and deservingly so, at least from all I've read) and since Michael's hand are pretty full already, I'd completely understand if there'd be no revisions and updates for the M8 for quite a while. Like I said, I'd be more than content picking the iDevice version by the time I raise the funds :)

I speculate that CEntrance's choice of optical (only) on the LX was based 2 things: that most of the previous generation DAPs had optical digital out, maybe during the time that they did a DAP survey during product development, and that the RCA connector Michael envisioned was necessary for coax in took up too much real estate on a back panel crowded with port connectors and switches.  Hence they got caught by the current crop of lower end DAPs switching to only coax digital out via TRS connector, and so consequently reducing user options of current compatible DAPs to those offering both optical and coax digital out, the higher end models, that is, if they want hi-res file playback capability.. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3,431 of 5,999

I speculate that CEntrance's choice of optical (only) on the LX was based 2 things: that most of the previous generation DAPs had optical digital out, maybe during the time that they did a DAP survey during product development, and that the RCA connector Michael envisioned was necessary for coax in took up too much real estate on a back panel crowded with port connectors and switches.  Hence they got caught by the current crop of lower end DAPs switching to only coax digital out via TRS connector, and so consequently reducing user options of current compatible DAPs to those offering both optical and coax digital out, the higher end models, that is, if they want hi-res file playback capability.. 

That sounds likely. The X3 might be being developed at the time of the survey, but it was, but frankly it was in development for so long that a lot of people must have lost faith or buy something else. And the other two probably wasn't even on the horizon.
Not to mention that a lot of hardcore audiophiles might never have considered entry-level stuff like the X3 anyway.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #3,432 of 5,999

Or make do with what we've got. 
smily_headphones1.gif

To be honest, I recently purchased an end game ciem and now started save money for a proper dap+amp+dac rig. It will take me some time to save as you can understand (I am still a student, doing master). So I have some time in front of me to wait and see what will come in the future.

I trust in Centrance. I always like companies who listen to their customers (FiiO is also one of them, big kudos to James). That's how you gain respect. So while there is time in front of me, I prefer to wait and keep on reading. At the end I know, whichever the gear I choose, there will be Centrance product in it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,433 of 5,999
Good luck with your master, I got mine 10 years ago. Time flies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back