The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #3,496 of 5,999
I was looking for a cable that I can connect to my Hifi-M8 to my HTC One. Where can I find a USB A to Micro USB like in the picture with the Galaxy S4?

That cable came with my ibasso D42. I sold it, so now I made my own cable!
size]

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,499 of 5,999
  Please check this blog post about the tone shaping switches. We don't recommend fiddling with the switch to suspend it in-between positions. It's not good for the unit.

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/09/11/tone-shaping-controls/

Actually, I had to fiddle with the treble switch to get it to lock into position. Kenny emailed me and told me he changed out the treble switch. Hopefully, this one will work better. The other switches had less "play" or movement to them once locked into any of the 3 positions and they engaged into position with more "authority."

Thanks to Kenny and Centrance for the help and fast turn-around, as I predicted.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,501 of 5,999
  From everything that I've read,  it seems like the M8 is currently at least a step above the current highest level of portable dac/amps, especially when it comes to power.  However,  I often see pairs for it qualified with "for a mobile".   This makes me wonder how far off it really is from desktop components.  

The specs, at least on the DAC, read as good or better than many desktop DAC's in the entry to even mid-range,  but I understand that specs really dont tell the story of sound.  So how does it sound in comparison to a desktop setup?  

Logic would make me think that a well spent $600 desktop components would result in better sound than the M8,  just because so much of the expense form the M8 come with creating mobility and conservation of space is expensive,  where as desktops deal with a "space is free"  situation,   but is this actually the case?  

How does the M8's sound stack up to ~$600 spent on Schiit or Audio-GD or any of the other good value desktop setups in a similar price range?

Check the impressions thread.  Several folks have compared it quite favorably to full sized gear.  

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,503 of 5,999
  Please check this blog post about the tone shaping switches. We don't recommend fiddling with the switch to suspend it in-between positions. It's not good for the unit.

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/09/11/tone-shaping-controls/

Thanks for checking and clearing this matter. I suppose I just cant hear the difference since it's very subtle for my hearing. Anyway, I'm not concerned too much even at the lowest switch position (for both bass and treble) I can definitely hear good quality sound using 3 different iems. I think the gain and output impedance control are more important to me at the moment.

Having said that, I wish the 4 switches are more robust. At least similar to, or better than the "usb/off/ipod" selector switch. I believe most people here would be trying different IEMs and headphones and constantly moving the switches to discover the best possible combo. I'm just afraid the switches won't hold that long.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,505 of 5,999
  IEM Mod makes me happy!!!!

Thank you Michael so much! There is no noise with JH13 or Beyerdynamic dt250 :) Ultimate universal device.

So I guess the cat is out of the bag as who was the one responsible for the request...

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3,508 of 5,999

Thanks for checking and clearing this matter. I suppose I just cant hear the difference since it's very subtle for my hearing. Anyway, I'm not concerned too much even at the lowest switch position (for both bass and treble) I can definitely hear good quality sound using 3 different iems. I think the gain and output impedance control are more important to me at the moment.

Having said that, I wish the 4 switches are more robust. At least similar to, or better than the "usb/off/ipod" selector switch. I believe most people here would be trying different IEMs and headphones and constantly moving the switches to discover the best possible combo. I'm just afraid the switches won't hold that long.

I understand your feelings about the switches possible durability.  But, after submitting, finally, my formal review of the HiFi-M8 to Part-Time Audiophile (sincerely hope
you guys dig it - and I'll share the link when it gets published) I can say I've been abusing the hell out of those switches for weeks without issue!  I know that's not a long
time span, but at the rate I was playing with the switches it's gotta be equivalent to a few months of average use.  

No sign of trouble ahead - but I also wasn't messing with keeping the switch suspended between clicking positions either.  I just used em as designed.  
Not pokin' fun either,  just saying doing things like that may make the switches a little more suceptable to damage - MAYBE

but DAMN doesn't it sound infectious...

got it all ready for my hike:

Anyway, let's hope for the best there!!  After reading Michael's HiFi-M8 blogs about selecting the right volume knob (they were CLASSIC)

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #3,509 of 5,999

Check the impressions thread.  Several folks have compared it quite favorably to full sized gear.  

YUP.  Me amongst them!

The HiFi-M8 is far beyond a mere portable DAC/hphone amp solution.
I love the damn thing, and my review for Part-Time Audiophile reflects
that (not published yet)! 

One of the main reasons I dig it so much is that it performs like a desktop
reference rig.  Music through it is dimensional, airy, coherent, ALL the audio
buzzwords you're lookin' for, especially DYNAMIC.  I believe it signifies
an evolution in portable fidelity.

Check it out ASAP.  I've been listening to it ever since I got it, on the go 
and sitting atop my multi-thousand dollar desktop rig!!

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #3,510 of 5,999

I understand your feelings about the switches possible durability.  But, after submitting, finally, my formal review of the HiFi-M8 to Part-Time Audiophile (sincerely hope
you guys dig it - and I'll share the link when it gets published) I can say I've been abusing the hell out of those switches for weeks without issue!  I know that's not a long
time span, but at the rate I was playing with the switches it's gotta be equivalent to a few months of average use.  

No sign of trouble ahead - but I also wasn't messing with keeping the switch suspended between clicking positions either.  I just used em as designed.  
Not pokin' fun either,  just saying doing things like that may make the switches a little more suceptable to damage - MAYBE

Well, I only set the base/treble switches at default 1 position when listening to my music. I just want to hear the effects of changing the tone switches. I never set the switch in-between positions while listening casually to my music. I'm just saying there is only an obvious change in sound when the switch is in between position while traveling from 2 to 3. Since, I don't hear any difference in the exact 2 and 3 positions, it made me think the switch is broken. Hence, the reason I brought it up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back