The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,870 of 5,999
Imo, the best solution right now is still an Android smartphone (especially if you already have one, or need to upgrade your phone anyways) using the USB Audio Recorder Pro app. It ain't the best, but it's sure as hell the only one that can be used right now, and it is perfectly usable.

It works for me since I don't get calls anyways. If you need your phone to only be a phone, well consider buying a used phone that's capable of doing usb otg to be used solely as a transport.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,871 of 5,999
I just sent ibasso an email regarding their upcoming DX50, and asked them about considering a 3.5mm audio/optical combo jack as it's line out.

...if only everybody worked like mgoodman and CEntrance regarding our wants and needs
size]

BTW, A BIG HELL YEAH! TO MGOODMAN @ CENTRANCE FOR LISTENING TO US AND MAKING A KICKASS PRODUCT WITH WHAT WE WANTED THE HIFI-M8 TO BE!!!
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2,872 of 5,999
Are there any DAPs that connect digitally through USB?? If there was I could get the IDevice M8 and use a DAP, IPhone and laptop as transport.

To follow up on what Wormsdriver has said, an Android based DAP or phone that has usb otg capabilities as well as Android 4.1.1 or later would be a great alternative. Up to 16/48 natively, 24/192 with usb audio recorder pro.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,873 of 5,999
Is there any way to stream audio from a SMB server with audio recorder pro or does it have to be stored locally on the device?

My current off-kilter setup is my Galaxy Note 2 with a 64gb card for music I play frequently connected to a Furutech ADL Stride 24/96 dac and amp(Might be keeping this if the M8 isn't compatible).

For my main music collection i keep it on a portable battery powered 1Tb NAS SMB server which streams to the app on the Note 2 and outputs through the Stride. If the M8 is unable to do this, that would be a shame.

Does the M8 still work natively with android for 16/48?

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,875 of 5,999
here's a couple of quotes from the "Android phones and USB DACs" thread.

Head-fi member [size=18.399999618530273px]eXtream[/size] is the guy behind USB Audio Recorder pro. Looks like he is working on something new for Android phone users (due to high demand) that wish to use their Android phones with external dac/amps.

This to me looks very promising and will keep an eye out on it.

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9c/100x100px-LS-9c1e6c77_kotik.jpg[/img]
  1. SV_huMMer
  2. badge_100.v1375719111.png
  4. offline
  1. 148 Posts. Joined 7/2005
  2. Location: Moscow, Russia

Dear eXtream,

Your USB audio service is definitely a great thing, and we're all waiting for it with great impatience!

And I think it would be even more useful if you could make a brief description of what this service would allow users to achieve, e.g. use any player software (or would it?), play any file types including those not supported by UARP, such as lossy music (mp3 etc) and "exotic" lossless like wv, ape etc (or would it?), play .cue and other playlist types (or would it?), etc.

For noobs like me at least, it would be extremely helpful! I can't say, for example, that I have good understanding about how a service in android works and what are ways and restrictions for interaction between apps and services.

Sorry if I am asking obvious things, but they're not for me! 

Main:
Gaming: SB X-Fi Titanium -> AT ATH-A700
Music: ASIO FW -> Echo AudioFire 2 -> Laconic HA-04AF -> AKG Q701 
Portable: Samsung Galaxy SIII ->USB Audio Out -> Ray Samuel's Predator -> Audio-Technica ATH-ES10
Other cans: AKG K55; Senn PX100, AT EW9, AKG K501 Litz Cable Mod II "SuperBASS",...

ReplyQuote Multi

post #2822 of 2825

2 hours, 55 minutes ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c8/100x100px-LS-c8912a79_avatar-120-2.jpg[/img]
  1. eXtream
  2. badge_headfier.v1375719111.png
  4. offline
  1. 41 Posts. Joined 12/2012

No problem, I'll explain once more.

What it is NOT:
The service will not enable USB audio playback for just any app.

What it is:
The service can enable USB audio playback for apps that will support the service. App authors need to write some code to support this new service. For instance, PowerAmp could use the service. The question of which file types and cuelists you can play then simply depends on the app that will support the service.

After or before release I'll just contact all popular media player app authors to ask if they want to support this service. And after release, you can all do the same for your favourite app if they have no support for it yet.

If you have further questions, please let me know! :)

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2,876 of 5,999
Quote:

wait a minute,

AK120 can only use on the LX model? Not the iDevice model!!!!
So where do I stand, if im still using ipod and planning to go AK120...

Had chosen the iDevice ver on M8....

The LX model takes a USB input (most likely from a computer), and optical input (like the AK100/120).

The iDevice model also takes USB input, and swaps optical input for a iDevice through USB. ...

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,879 of 5,999
Quote:
I tried the m8 with beryerdynamic T1 at the recent nook festival in singapore. It was fantastic. Anyone tried m8 with a HD800?

I did briefly at a local meet.  It sounded quite good, but real impressions will have to wait til I get mine hopefully at the end of the month.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,880 of 5,999
Quote:
I tried the m8 with beryerdynamic T1 at the recent nook festival in singapore. It was fantastic. Anyone tried m8 with a HD800?

I have been using HD800 with HiFi-M8 for the last two weeks and posted some observations to the hifi-m8 impressions and appreciation thread. My initial observations and a few observations about using the hifi-m8 as a line level DAC. Short answer, it drives the HD800 better than almost every portable option I have tried, as well as moderate desktop system, but not as well as a higher end desktop.

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back