The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,896 of 5,999
Quote:
It is unfortunate, in this way, the M8 is not compatible with IEMs. Background noise in a device of this level is unacceptable

And the noise level depends on the volume control - at half the volume of possible noise above.
Another noted that the switch impedance headphones a little confused - first is of high value (volume down noise too).

Let's not be too hasty or general.  There are few people who have reported an issue which is not yet understood. There are others who haven't had a problem.  Seems that the manufacturer doesn't think there should be noise (e.g. noise is unexceptable) and is working to understand and rectify the situation.

After the reports of noise I switched from using my HD800 to my Westone ES5 and Etymotic HF3 for a couple of days to see if I would hear something.  No noise with my iPhone 5 or Nano at normal / high listening levels.  I even paused the player and then switch to max gain and turn the volume knob to see how high I could go before hearing any noise (which put the amplifier at a level that would have blown out ears if music started to play).  Background was completely black with gain set to high until the volume knob was at 3 o'clock, e.g. 3/4 of the way to max.  Not bad at my book given normal listening is lowest gain setting and the volume knob at 9 oclock or so.

--mark

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,899 of 5,999
First 24/192 kHz ANDROID phone ?  Perfect match for the HiFiM8 !

LG has unveiled their new flagship, the LG G2, and it is said in the press release "LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound." !

So, if this is true, this may be the perfect match for the HiFi M8 !  Expecialy when you consider the size of the LG G2  127 mm x 71 mm : It will rest PERFECTLY on the 127 mm x 82 mm HiFi M8 !   The M8 has the same Height and just the needed additional 5mm on each side to offer the perfect sized "bed" between it's screw-protuberance on each side !

The only drawback is the 32 Gb only of the international version, but... there is a Korean version with a smaller but removeable battery and... a MicroSD 
biggrin.gif

So, M. Centrance, PLEASE make sure that the HiFiM8 works at 24/192 with the LG G2 !  You have a winning team here !

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,901 of 5,999
usb otg capabilities is indeed THE big question.   

The controls on the back is not really an issue when used as an transport source for the M8: You are not supposed to take picture or use the Internal volume control when connected to the M8, and the thing can also be powered on by tap on the screen.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2,902 of 5,999

LG has unveiled their new flagship, the LG G2, and it is said in the press release "[COLOR=800000]LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound.[/COLOR]" !

So, if this is true, this may be the perfect match for the HiFi M8 !  Expecialy when you consider the size of the LG G2  127 mm x 71 mm : It will rest PERFECTLY on the 127 mm x 82 mm HiFi M8 !   The M8 has the same Height and just the needed additional 5mm on each side to offer the perfect sized "bed" between it's screw-protuberance on each side !

The only drawback is the 32 Gb only of the international version, but... there is a Korean version with a smaller but removeable battery and... a MicroSD 
biggrin.gif

So, M. Centrance, PLEASE make sure that the HiFiM8 works at 24/192 with the LG G2 !  You have a winning team here !

Why? 24/192 is not exactly great for audio.

This is marketing hype trying to show you that higher numbers are better, when in fact, they are not. I have serious reservations on LG testing this for sound. My guess is they just zonked a DAC capable of that sampling rate onto the phone (i.e. they spent a few extra cents and then marketed as such).

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #2,903 of 5,999
Quote:
Why? 24/192 is not exactly great for audio.

This is marketing hype trying to show you that higher numbers are better, when in fact, they are not. I have serious reservations on LG testing this for sound. My guess is they just zonked a DAC capable of that sampling rate onto the phone (i.e. they spent a few extra cents and then marketed as such).

I have to say that I agree with this statement : When possible I buy 24/96 kHz files, It is I believe the perfect sweet point between quality and size, but... I have some 178 & 192 files in my collection that I don't want to be brutally downsampled by the dac.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,904 of 5,999
I have to say that I agree with this statement : When possible I buy 24/96 kHz files, It is I believe the perfect sweet point between quality and size, but... I have some 178 & 192 files in my collection that I don't want to be brutally downsampled by the dac.

I don't want to threadcrap on mgoodman's wonderful thread (I am customer for the M8 though), I will just say this...

Downsampling is not as horrific as a lot of folks in this room would you have believe.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,905 of 5,999
Quote:

LG has unveiled their new flagship, the LG G2, and it is said in the press release "LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound." !

My concern would be, what did LG do with Android?  The hardware manufacturers like taking a perfectly wonderful OS, and ruin it.  If it was a Nexus phone, I would be far more excited.

I would definitely not bet the house on it...

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,907 of 5,999
Quote:
The M8 is a brick. The included power adaptor is a smaller brick. Travelling light, I didn't bother with the power adaptor. However, I didn't want to charge slowly through USB. So I found my friend's laptop charger...20V. Should be alright?
The Power Station
New update on the blog as well regard 24/96. Forecast Sep/Oct.

I am also interested in how I may charge my Hifi-M8.

Of course I already have the standard bundle cable but would like to know my USB options for on the move as I don`t envision wanting to take the charging brick with me.

A USB to iphone charge block would be great but i remember Michael saying that it would not give enough juice.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,908 of 5,999
Quote:
A USB to iphone charge block would be great but i remember Michael saying that it would not give enough juice.

I think it will, but slowly, and only if the M8 is switched off. The provided M8 USB-B cable (printer type) is thick and chunky too.
The key for light travellers is to find a slim, compact power adaptor for the M8 that also allows for iOS charging during use. This way you save on the Apple adaptor. Though nowadays I simply don't bring it, and rely on a laptop, or a TV's USB.

Perhaps CEntrance wants to recommend a certain spec for that so some savvy people can go hunting!

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,909 of 5,999
I would like to use a USB-B from the Hifi-M8 to a USB-A then wall plug (I could charge my Fostex HP_P1 that way).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Musings................

Pity there are no Apple 30 pin to Type B USB, nice and chunky.

*Wonderings.................

Anyway to connect an AK100 or FiioX3 to the idevice version using some clunky work around.

*Future ponderings..........

Day dreaming what the upcoming ibasso DX50 and Fiio X5 Hifi-M8 compatibilities may be.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,910 of 5,999
Quote:
I think it will, but slowly, and only if the M8 is switched off. The provided M8 USB-B cable (printer type) is thick and chunky too.
The key for light travellers is to find a slim, compact power adaptor for the M8 that also allows for iOS charging during use. This way you save on the Apple adaptor. Though nowadays I simply don't bring it, and rely on a laptop, or a TV's USB.

Perhaps CEntrance wants to recommend a certain spec for that so some savvy people can go hunting!

Great summary.

The bundled Fostex hp_p1 USB-A/B cable is nice n chunky, but If I sell it I will have to find another great cable.

Michael? - Care to chime in on this? (I remember you have written something before in reply sorry, please do enlighten us again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back