The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,927 of 5,999
Quote:
The little white cube will give you 1A at 5V. It's only sufficient to charge an iPhone, but not an iPad.

This is NOT sufficient to charge the M8.

In general, we don't recommend USB charging for M8. It will take much longer than charging via the external jack. We have purposely limited USB charging current so as to avoid draining batteries of connected laptops (such as in-flight)

Catch me up?  Does the M8 come with its own charger?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,929 of 5,999
Has anyone used the M8 with Windows 8 64-bit?  I am thinking about switching from Win 7, but remember having driver issues with a couple other 24/192 drivers from other companies the last time I had it installed.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,930 of 5,999
Quote:
How large do we want this thing to be? Too many connectors and it's no longer a portable unit. Alas...

Your reasoning here is somewhat disingenuous.  If size was truly an issue, [size=11pt]you can always use the combo 3.5 mm TRS jack that you're already using on the other side of the M8 for your optical and coax SPDIF inputs.  As you know.[/size]

[size=11pt]My connector choices for the M9 LX (
wink.gif
), space available, would be the Toslink and the 75Ω micro BNC.  The relatively large RCA connector doesn't ever need to be part of the equation.  
[/size]

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #2,931 of 5,999
How do you Android guys connect to your M8?  Is it safe to assume its USB?

I'm just wondering if that means you can connect an Android phone to all 8 flavors of the M8?  If that's true, does that mean an Android based DAP would follow the same rules?  I'm wondering if the same would apply to the Ibasso DX100, seeing that its Android based, all be it and older version...

Any DX100 owners attempt this connection yet?

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,932 of 5,999
Quote:
How do you Android guys connect to your M8?  Is it safe to assume its USB?

I'm just wondering if that means you can connect an Android phone to all 8 flavors of the M8?  If that's true, does that mean an Android based DAP would follow the same rules?  I'm wondering if the same would apply to the Ibasso DX100, seeing that its Android based, all be it and older version...

Any DX100 owners attempt this connection yet?

I can't say for sure since I don't own the DX100, but for standard USB Audio via an OTG cable, the OS must be later than 4.1.1.  I don't think the DX100 is beyond Gingerbread (2.3).  So IF the DX100 was build OTG capable AND it gets and update to 4.1.1 or later, it MIGHT support it since even all those factors don't guarantee proper interworking.  You could ask over in the DX100 thread or check the Android thread for more definitive info.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,934 of 5,999
Your reasoning here is somewhat disingenuous.  If size was truly an issue, [SIZE=11pt]you can always use the combo 3.5 mm TRS jack that you're already using on the other side of the M8 for your optical and coax SPDIF inputs.  As you know.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]My connector choices for the M9 LX (
wink.gif

), space available, would be the Toslink and the 75Ω micro BNC.  The relatively large RCA connector doesn't ever need to be part of the equation.  [/SIZE]
Could you show a pic of the micro BNC?

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,937 of 5,999
This is relevant to all of Head-Fi member interests:

[size=18.0pt]We Have Apple Approval !!![/size]

You are welcome.
k701smile.gif

etysmile.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,939 of 5,999
Better yet, I'll give you the [SIZE=11pt][COLOR=0000FF]link[/COLOR][/SIZE] to a supplier. 
Thanks for that. I remember that this jack came up in conversation in this tread some time ago.

How widely is this connector used to carry SPDIF signals? I am not used to seeing it, so wondering how much recabling would need to happen in the field...

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,940 of 5,999
Well, therein lies the rub.  It was introed in 2012, and so most likely implementation to date is still largely limited to communication and medical equipment where cable connection density is problematic.  However, like anything else, boutique audio cable manufacturers can accommodate different terminations to the market demand once a supplier is established for them.  Much like the RSA balanced and mini TRRS jack connectors now gaining traction because of exactly available space issues.

Frankly, I'm not seeing much of a problem implementing it as long as the supplier product line is stable.  Certainly the micro BNC is a much better long term solution for coax signal impedance matching than the current mini TRS, which only presents itself as a workable solution so long as the cable is kept very short.  But I would think as an audio equipment manufacturer that you would want to put your best foot forward in protecting signal integrity associated with your gear by best means available, given product constrants .  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back