The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,941 of 5,999
Well, therein lies the rub.  It was introed in 2012, and so most likely implementation to date is still largely limited to communication and medical equipment where cable connection density is problematic.  However, like anything else, boutique audio cable manufacturers can accommodate different terminations to the market demand once a supplier is established for them.  Much like the RSA balanced and mini TRRS jack connectors now gaining traction because of exactly available space issues.

Frankly, I'm not seeing much of a problem implementing it as long as the supplier product line is stable.  Certainly the micro BNC is a much better long term solution for coax signal impedance matching than the current mini TRS, which only presents itself as a workable solution so long as the cable is kept very short.  But I would think as an audio equipment manufacturer that you would want to put your best foot forward in protecting signal integrity associated with your gear by best means available, given product constrants .  
Thanks for that. What sources are you thinking of connecting to it?

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2,942 of 5,999
Well, the Fiio DAPs (X3 & X5) come to mind. They seem to have a large following, plus the consumer perception that they are a cost effective solution, as opposed to the A&K products... The new iBasso DX50 only has 24/192 digital coax out.

I'm sure there are yet more, if others here would like to contribute.

BTW, the QLS QA350 DAP has both optical and coax outputs, but only supports 16/44.1 WAV files.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,943 of 5,999
Quote:
Well, the Fiio DAPs (X3 & X5) come to mind. They seem to have a large following, plus the consumer perception that they are a cost effective solution, as opposed to the A&K products... The new iBasso DX50 only has 24/192 digital coax out.

I'm sure there are yet more, if others here would like to contribute.

BTW, the QLS QA350 DAP has both optical and coax outputs, but only supports 16/44.1 WAV files.

I think you've come up with some excellent examples here.
I got to play with the iBasso, and despite its bigger size than my AK100, it seemed like a solid performer.

And BTW:

Congratulations to @mgoodman and crew for the official PR/announcement that went out today on HiFi-M8!!

I can't WAIT to hear it

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,944 of 5,999
I think you've come up with some excellent examples here.
I got to play with the iBasso, and despite its bigger size than my AK100, it seemed like a solid performer.

And BTW:

Congratulations to @mgoodman and crew for the official PR/announcement that went out today on HiFi-M8!!

I can't WAIT to hear it

Are you able to divulge further details about the DX50 at the moment? I know the folks over at the DX50 thread, already a 2000+ post affair, have been frothing at the mouths for any solid news on iBasso's rather delayed project.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2,945 of 5,999
Quote:
Notice with the 4-pin XLR output, the orientation of the pins is such that for the connector to insert, the usual 'top' spot is towards the left at 9 o'clock, instead of being at 12 o'clock. Any reason for that?
-
The significance is that most good 4-pin XLR connectors will have a 'top', so that users can insert them easily. 
Also all amps with 4-pin XLR outputs probably have it orientated the same way, so it's counter intuitive to insert it another way in.

Just in case others are wondering or might wonder regarding the above, I received a very prompt email reply from Michael:

[size=medium] Turning the jack is not possible, it does not have a square profile.

It actually has a thinner profile when laying on its side. We shaved about 5 mm off the product's thickness by using it that way.
[/size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,946 of 5,999
Sorry, but I have a little question :

Does the HiFi8 ( iPhone version) offer an optical out (you know the red light at the bottom of the 1/8 jack) in order to send Digital audio from my iPhone to my Mega super Desktop DAC via Tosh link ? 

Or does it offer a "real" 2 Vrms line-out  to feed a desktop AMP ? 

thanks

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,947 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry, but I have a little question :  Does the HiFi8 ( iPhone version) offer an optical out (you know the red light at the bottom of the 1/8 jack) in order to send Digital audio from my iPhone to my Mega super Desktop DAC via Tosh link ? 

thanks

According to what I have read, it does have an optical output via the 1/8 jack.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2,948 of 5,999
Quote:
Are you able to divulge further details about the DX50 at the moment? I know the folks over at the DX50 thread, already a 2000+ post affair, have been frothing at the mouths for any solid news on iBasso's rather delayed project.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to it long enough to form an impressions for you.
It felt like a solid unit, and the few tracks I heard (on my buddies Audeze's - I didn't have my LCD3's on me at that moment)
were impressive.  I like how it felt it my hand!  I'm looking to get a unit for review so if that happens I'm making a note of your 
handle so I can report back to you!

and in the meantime I'm DROOLING awaiting the arrival of HiFi-M8!!!!

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2,949 of 5,999
@mgoodman

Just a quick couple of questions regarding connecting my Hifi_M8 to my home system.

Here i have it connected with a 3.5mm mini to mini via the `portable in`. 

Hifi-M8 Gain at 2, with volume at 95%.

Here is the mini to mini cable and my second option: connecting via digital cable.

Or the third option via-

Which would you recommend? And why?

Thanks in advance.

The mini to mini seems to have more `beef`, the digital toslink seems a bit thin.

Going by what little I know the mini to mini is using the Hifi-M8 amp and the digital is bypassing the Hifi-m8 amp?

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,950 of 5,999
Quote:
@mgoodman

Just a quick couple of questions regarding connecting my Hifi_M8 to my home system.

Here i have it connected with a 3.5mm mini to mini via the `portable in`. 

Hifi-M8 Gain at 2, with volume at 95%.

Here is the mini to mini cable and my second option: connecting via digital cable.

Or the third option via-

Which would you recommend? And why?

Thanks in advance.

The mini to mini seems to have more `beef`, the digital toslink seems a bit thin.

Going by what little I know the mini to mini is using the Hifi-M8 amp and the digital is bypassing the Hifi-m8 amp?

I'm no @mgoodman, but I worked for him and he's a dear friend!

What's the receiver?
As you said, the toslink sounded "thin" so I'm wondering what the DAC is inside the receiver.

You can also get far better quality 3.5mm/stereo mini to RCA cables.  

I know some people will poo poo that, but since you've already heard the difference between going into
your receiver analog vs. digitally, and it sounds like you prefer the DAC in the HiFi-M8 (makes sense)
than a higher-quality analog interconnect can go a long way!!

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,951 of 5,999
Quote:

I'm not "the guy" either but I would like to chime in. 
tongue.gif

Expat- it depends on what device you really want to "hear" If you use the digital out, the M8 is just decrypting Apple's signal (assuming you are using i-device) and sending that digital stream out to your other device. The digital to analog conversion and amping is handled by whatever your other unit is. You will "hear" that unit.

If you use an analog out (the mini to RCA) The M8 is decrypting the Apple signal, doing the digital to analog conversion by the M8's DAC, then amping the signal. Setting the middle gain position and level at or near 100% as you have it is supposed to match a line out level. So then the only thing your other device is doing is amplifying the signal. This configuration you are "hearing" the M8 doing it's thing. 

So there you go.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,952 of 5,999
Quote:
What's the receiver?
As you said, the toslink sounded "thin" so I'm wondering what the DAC is inside the receiver.

You can also get far better quality 3.5mm/stereo mini to RCA cables.  

Denon AVC-M380 is the system. 

http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=9435625a-cc70-40e3-9319-d8e2db09de1f&SubId=d695a42d-c316-4545-af43-59bcb25e4d9b&ProductId=f25d678a-3d7f-4fdb-bc45-42888a77f331#.Ug71CmTOnPw

*Via Amazon.com below
[size=small]
  1. 5-disc carousel CD/CD-R/CD-RW changer with MP3 playback ability
  2. HDCD decoding via Pacific Microsonics PMD-100 filter decoder; 20-bit Burr-Brown DACs, digital servo laser mechanism
  3. Coaxial digital-audio output, remote control in/out jacks for remote use via compatible ancillary equipment such as receivers or amplifiers
  4. Dual-direction carousel rotation; .25-inch headphone jack with remote-adjustable listening level
[/size] The 3.5mm to RCA was $1. :)

Thanks.
Quote:

1) it depends on what device you really want to "hear" If you use the digital out, the M8 is just decrypting Apple's signal (assuming you are using i-device) and sending that digital stream out to your other device. The digital to analog conversion and amping is handled by whatever your other unit is. You will "hear" that unit.

2) If you use an analog out (the mini to RCA) The M8 is decrypting the Apple signal, doing the digital to analog conversion by the M8's DAC, then amping the signal. Setting the middle gain position and level at or near 100% as you have it is supposed to match a line out level. So then the only thing your other device is doing is amplifying the signal. This configuration you are "hearing" the M8 doing it's thing. 

So there you go.

1) Digital Toslink is using the home system DAC and AMP.

2) Mini to RCA is using the Hifi-M8 DAC and the Home Systems(Denon) amplifier.

Thanks.

3) I wonder what the mini to mini is doing?.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I haven`t tried the mini to RCA yet.

*I usually connect my ipod 5th Gen to the Denon via 30 pin to 3.5mm LOD into the Portable In jack on the Denon.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,953 of 5,999
Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to it long enough to form an impressions for you.
It felt like a solid unit, and the few tracks I heard (on my buddies Audeze's - I didn't have my LCD3's on me at that moment)
were impressive.  I like how it felt it my hand!  I'm looking to get a unit for review so if that happens I'm making a note of your 
handle so I can report back to you!

and in the meantime I'm DROOLING awaiting the arrival of HiFi-M8!!!!
Thanks for the info! I'll shut my trap to prevent any possible derailment to this thread.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,955 of 5,999
Quote:

Denon AVC-M380 is the system. 

http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=9435625a-cc70-40e3-9319-d8e2db09de1f&SubId=d695a42d-c316-4545-af43-59bcb25e4d9b&ProductId=f25d678a-3d7f-4fdb-bc45-42888a77f331#.Ug71CmTOnPw

*Via Amazon.com below
[size=small]
  1. 5-disc carousel CD/CD-R/CD-RW changer with MP3 playback ability
  2. HDCD decoding via Pacific Microsonics PMD-100 filter decoder; 20-bit Burr-Brown DACs, digital servo laser mechanism
  3. Coaxial digital-audio output, remote control in/out jacks for remote use via compatible ancillary equipment such as receivers or amplifiers
  4. Dual-direction carousel rotation; .25-inch headphone jack with remote-adjustable listening level
[/size] The 3.5mm to RCA was $1. :)

Thanks.
1) Digital Toslink is using the home system DAC and AMP.

2) Mini to RCA is using the Hifi-M8 DAC and the Home Systems(Denon) amplifier.

Thanks.

3) I wonder what the mini to mini is doing?.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I haven`t tried the mini to RCA yet.

*I usually connect my ipod 5th Gen to the Denon via 30 pin to 3.5mm LOD into the Portable In jack on the Denon.

3) I wonder what the mini to mini is doing?

The mini-to-mini is also taking advantage of the DAC inside the Hi-Fi-M8 
(as you're going analog out of it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back