The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,553 of 5,999
Quote:
Does anyone plan to try the HE-6 with the M8? I'm not sure there is really enough juice, but its close! :)

I would give it a shot, especially if balanced.  If the SR71B or Intruder or Rx Mk3 can do it, then why not the M8?

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,554 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm curious, but not optimistic...  Sure would soften the blow of getting a pair of HE6, though.

Sort of off topic, but maybe not. I usually listen at 85 to 90 dB. My Dacmini CX drives HE-6 to this SPL with the volume pot set at 2 to 3 o'clock (5 o'clock is Full volume). Depending on the music and recording, I may lower it to 1 or raise it to 4. I don't hear any clipping in any case. The HE-6 sounds really good to me with Dacmini. Would it sound better with more power? Maybe. For comparison, I have no problem driving HE-6 with my Ember and there is plenty of headroom, but better....I don't know. Soon, I will have a high power GS-X to try with HE-6 so I reserve judgment.

If someone wants to blast their ears, Dacmini and M8 might not have enough juice. I want to preserve what hearing acuity I have left.

@ Michael G.... if M8 is running off wall power, will it deliver the same SPL as Dacmini CX?

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,555 of 5,999
Quote:

@ Michael G.... if M8 is running off wall power, will it deliver the same SPL as Dacmini CX?

No, HiFi-M8 has slightly less output power than DACmini. Output power doesn't change whether you run off the battery or off the wall adapter. However, seeing how you only listen at 2..3pm on DACmini, you should be fine. It'll probably be, like, 4PM on the M8. The difference in power between DACmini and HiFi-M8 is not that big, so I think this is worth a shot. I don't have these headphones, so couldn't try myself.

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,556 of 5,999
No, HiFi-M8 has slightly less output power than DACmini. Output power doesn't change whether you run off the battery or off the wall adapter. However, seeing how you only listen at 2..3pm on DACmini, you should be fine. It'll probably be, like, 4PM on the M8. The difference in power between DACmini and HiFi-M8 is not that big, so I think this is worth a shot. I don't have these headphones, so couldn't try myself.

Thanks mgoodman. The HE-6 needs 2-5W at 50ohms (I think). So its a tough sell with the M8. I actually don't own the HE-6's but I was wondering if testing them with the M8 was a possibility (perhaps).

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,558 of 5,999
Thanks mgoodman. The HE-6 needs 2-5W at 50ohms (I think). So its a tough sell with the M8. I actually don't own the HE-6's but I was wondering if testing them with the M8 was a possibility (perhaps).
Yes, we'd need to find someone who has both. At first, this will be harder, but later, as we ship more product, it will be easier.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2,559 of 5,999
Quote:

Using the calculator on this page (http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html), to hit 110 dBSPL, which is damn loud, the HE-6 would need 447mW of power (4.73 V of voltage and 94.5 mA of current).  I think the calculator was based on dynamic drivers, so if orthodynamics have different voltage or current requirements, it could change the picture.  But if it is close, the HifiM8 should do reasonable justice to the HE-6s.  Then again, there are people in the HE-6 thread that claim you get best performance using 100W monoblocks with 20lb transformers, so who knows.  I have heard them out of a 2W amp that puts out a little over 500mW into 50ohms (I think), and the HE-6's sounded fantastic.  Haven't heard them on anything better to compare, though.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,565 of 5,999
Quote:

Just to be sure, the M8 should be significantly more powerful than the DACport, right?  That's what I'm using now with my LCD-3's (where I typically have the volume setting between 2:00 and 3:00).  I'm already taking it for granted that the M8 will sound better than the DACport. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back