The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,161 of 5,999
Anyone know if the MS surface pro will be compatible at 24/96 with the M8 provided it has the right software?  I know the RT is not really a full version of Win 8 but the pro might be?

May 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,162 of 5,999
Quote:
Anyone know if the MS surface pro will be compatible at 24/96 with the M8 provided it has the right software?  I know the RT is not really a full version of Win 8 but the pro might be?

Would be shocked if it didn't.  24/96 should be part of the standard USB 2.0 driver used in Windows.  I did run into trouble with drivers for 24/192 on Win 8, but that was a custom driver from Nuforce.

May 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,163 of 5,999
Quote:
Should be coming. http://ipodtouchlab.com/2013/01/128gb-ios-device-rumor.html

Quote:
Nooooo!!!!

...or Yessss!!! hmm.

My audio budget this year is going through the roof ****(Although I cant really count the Hifi-m8 as I pre-ordered it last October hehe heh).

****Hear Ye Hear Ye  "So it shall be written, so it shall be done!"   
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,165 of 5,999
Quote:
I might consider getting this, after getting the M8.  I just want to be sure.  FYI its a 30 pin to USB A...

http://www.aloaudio.com/sxc-24-30-pin-to-usb-a

FYI its got 4 connectors. :wink: (Not 30 pins internally)

It is misleading, yes it is says 30 pin style connector, but the number of internal connector pins (like my Qusp custom USB-LOD) is only 4.

Meh, its copper too.

See under `features`
http://www.aloaudio.com/sxc-24-30-pin-to-usb-a

Cables

(?)
Jacket Material :Fluoridated ethylene propylene (Lux FEP)

(?)
Conductor Material :Silver Plated Super Annealed High Purity Copper

(?)
Conductor Gauge:24 awg

(?)
Number of Conductors :4

*I demo`d the Hifi-M8 USB-LOD and think it sounds very good.  From talking with Michael (Centrance) the Hifi-M8 LOD-USB will be certified by Apple and have the full 30 active pins I think. He was surprised at my 4 pin LOD and that it worked(uncertified), although he of course knows you only need 4 pins for the handshake.

*Of course If it is Low Rider right angled you are after then thats another story. Then go for the ALO, Forza will make a custom or Head-fier Qusp. Maybe Toxi Cables.

May 30, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #2,167 of 5,999
Quote:
Me too,

but the usb side is not L shaped... won't it create a stress point at the LOD side...
Im looking for cable with both side L shaped... around this price range..

I'm waiting.  I'll happily use the stock cable, until I learn more about this cable's requirements.  But I don't believe stress on this one would be an issue.  Its more a matter of will it do all it needs to do?

My priority is having balanced headphones when I get my HiFi-M8.  That will make a larger impact anyways...

May 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,169 of 5,999
Wow, that Venturecraft is expensive!  Not even UPOCC or cryo-treated (j/k, kind of).

Has anyone asked any of the main cable makers?  I can't imagine them not being able to make one (might be more time and trouble than they can charge for, though).  

May 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,171 of 5,999
The digital cable is just carrying 1's and 0's...I am sure there is an argument for an expensive cable making a difference, but, really... probably a bit far-fetched. OCC copper, silver or whatever your choice of premium materials in a digital cable isn't going to make the 1's and 0's smoother, or more 3D, or widen the soundstage. They will, however, with 100% certainty, look really good. 

I do believe analog cables can make very subtle changes in the sound, but even that discussion is often peppered with "fightin' words" Digital though? I'm not trying to stir a hornet's nest here but my common sense says the $4 ebay cables will work exactly the same. But be uglier. 

May 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,172 of 5,999
The digital cable is just carrying 1's and 0's...I am sure there is an argument for an expensive cable making a difference, but, really... probably a bit far-fetched. OCC copper, silver or whatever your choice of premium materials in a digital cable isn't going to make the 1's and 0's smoother, or more 3D, or widen the soundstage. 

I'm not trying to stir a hornet's nest here but my common sense says the $4 ebay cables will work exactly the same. But be uglier. 

thegrobe,

Several pages back, Michael had said the following which concurs with your thoughts, though at least partially because of a jitter removal process in the M8:

I think the bundled cable will be all right. It doesn't move any analog audio, only digital audio. And digital audio is cleaned up in our JitterGuard(tm) process inside the HiFi-M8 as it enters, so I don't think there would be a big difference between cables, but mind you someone will probably prove me wrong. 

May 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,173 of 5,999
Quote:
Wow, that Venturecraft is expensive!  Not even UPOCC or cryo-treated (j/k, kind of).

Has anyone asked any of the main cable makers?  I can't imagine them not being able to make one (might be more time and trouble than they can charge for, though).  

Those are probably OCC since you can't probably achieve 7N without it. I owned that cable and that cable is used a lot of Cu. Those are solid 0.5 cm in diameter of Cu wire.

I won't say anything about the improvement in sound since I also do believe in analog cable not digital cable. I got those cable for free when I bought VentureCraft Go-Dap DD Socket 1.

May 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,174 of 5,999
The Apple store has 4th gen, 64gb iPod Touches for $229, in the refurb section.  Just in case somebody doesn't want to worry about figuring out lightning connectors....

May 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #2,175 of 5,999
I have an iphone 4 32GB (as transport-no sim) for my favorite music.
And an ipod touch 4G for my Tier 2 music when I want some music I dont usually listen to.

USB LODs, there is always the custom route. Qusp, Toxic cables, Forza.
I dont know their current prices.

But as I have written before, the Hifi-M8 USB-LOD delivers quality sound and would only recommend (at this stage) another USB-LOD If you want a smaller fitting LOD.
I will do some A/B testing between the Hifi-M8, Qusp, Fostex and Apple USB-LODs when I get my unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back