The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,131 of 5,999
Quote:
And a couple other things to add, regarding the impressions from Mike @ Headfonia. First off, this is just one person's quick impression. I don't think anyone should be getting their panties in a twist over this. I think Michael is right, Mike needs another chance to listen maybe under better circumstances. The thing that I question about the impressions is that he states "it's also quite grainy, just like I find the Dacpot CX (sic) to be" Well, I have never read any review of either the Dacport LX or CX where it was described as "grainy". This includes any reviews by Mike @ Headfonia! In fact, in any reviews and comparisons he makes with the Dacport, when "grain" is mentioned, the other items being compared are considered "grainy" in comparison to CEntrance products. So he contradicts himself... So for his other comments I'm not putting too much faith in. 

CEntrance is taking the time to make this beautiful piece of engineering to the best of their abilities, and I will wait until mine is in my hand for judgement. Most other preliminary impressions give the SQ a positive or a tip in the direction of the DACmini, which I can say is wonderful. As I have said before, if the M8 reaches even near that level in a portable format I will be jumping out of my skin. (in a good way) I am also am waiting to hear the overall impressions by all reviewers and users, not just one guy. 

Agreed. I didn't get the impression that the M8 was as clean-sounding as my main DAC, for example, but I wouldn't expect it to be.

May 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,132 of 5,999
Unfortunately my credibility on HF or anywhere else is very insignificant, but I will still post my personal impressions when I receive the M8. 

One thing that I will add. I'm very impressed by the transparency of Centrance/Michael, sharing this with us/potential consumers and developing this unit in different variation, near custom like and at a relative reasonable price. 

Sound quality, we are all coming from different experiences and preferences. Some will be extraordinary happy and others won't! 

If I'm disappointed with the final product, then I will express this as well, or maybe not, and look for something else.

So far I'm reasonable open minded, not influenced by what random websites etc. have experienced..

May 26, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #2,133 of 5,999
I'm psyched to try my Moon Audio Silver Dragon 30-pin LOD cable on the HiFi-M8!
I bought two for my Sony PHA-1 (something I'm lovin' right now - thanks to Jude for the reco)
and I couldn't believe the difference it made over the stock 30pin!

and I'm NOT about snake oil...

Since the HiFi-M8 was the very last project I worked on w/ the CEntrance team (was blessed to be there when it was thought up) - 
I just can't wait to hear the unit and live with it for awhile so I can report on it now!! - because I know Michael's gonna hit it out of the park.
Forget any impressions right now (and I trust Mike at Headfonia - and like him very much) - lets see what the final will be!

I'm pumped for the balanced output.  I have a feeling it will replace my CEntrance DACmini PX that I'm using as my DAC ahead
of my E.A.R HP4. 

Mr. Michael Goodman:

WILL the HiFi-M8, final version, be on-display at The Headphonium at T.H.E Show Newport this weekend??!!

May 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,134 of 5,999
I'm a new owner of a CLAS db and I am pairing it with Rx MkIII.  I'm going to have it for a few months, before I get my M8.  I'm assuming I'm last in line of the pre-order fellas, so I'm assuming someone will compare these two before me.  But I'm curious hew these two gems will compare.  Again, I feel its going to be a bit of an unfair comparison, being that the CLAS has so many potential amps to pair with.  But I'm curious just the same.

CEntrance, Michael, has hinted at some 24/96 voodoo, that the CLAS can't do currently.  So, the M8 might hold some hidden gems, plus tone shaping, that will make it somewhat unique in the marketplace...

May 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,136 of 5,999
Quote:
Well, I just sold my iPod Touch, so all my eggs are in the Android basket now.  

You guys that pre-ordered the LX model, I'll be paying great attention to.  I want to jump off of the Apple wagon for at least one DAP, and which one pairs well with the LX might be the deciding factor...

May 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,137 of 5,999
Quote:

You guys that pre-ordered the LX model, I'll be paying great attention to.  I want to jump off of the Apple wagon for at least one DAP, and which one pairs well with the LX might be the deciding factor...

I don't want to have a dedicated DAP if I don't have to, so really, if the M8 works well with my Note 2, I could really just use a straight USB version.  I have the Apple version coming since it is probably most useful for me (and probably better resale value if it comes to that) since I don't every anticipate having something that would use optical out.

May 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,139 of 5,999
Quote:
Wait another one to two months when news of Apple's development will be released. You might want to own an iOS device then.

I dunno, I have an iPhone 5 and I've been comparing it to the Galaxy S4, and while there's not as much variety when it comes to accessories and cases and stuff, the screen, hardware, and a 64GB microSD card to hold all my music looks incredibly tempting next to Apple's limited functionality. Trying to find an iOS compatible DAC/Amp was painful, and looking at what it does to your wallet is even more painful. 

The S3/S4 are (i believe, I could be wrong) capable of outputting pure digital audio via their USB ports to pretty much any DAC and, unlike the iPhone, don't need that DAC to be Apple certified

May 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,140 of 5,999
Quote:
Trying to find an iOS compatible DAC/Amp was painful, and looking at what it does to your wallet is even more painful. 

LOD to amps have been doing well with iOS devices for as long as iOS was around.
Now with M8 releasing, and also a small range of similar devices, I don't think finding an "iOS compatible DAC/Amp" is painful at all.
Choosing an iOS device is arguably less painful for the wallet than choosing an Android device because it holds its value better.

I choose the phone first, and its function and ease of use, before I think about 'music optimization'. With M8, it's a no brainer for me.

Oh, CEntrance products hold their value extremely well too. Have a look at the marketplace. 

May 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2,141 of 5,999
Quote:
Wait another one to two months when news of Apple's development will be released. You might want to own an iOS device then.

Any chance eron, that you can expand on this tidbit?  
popcorn.gif

May 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,142 of 5,999
Quote:
Any chance eron, that you can expand on this tidbit?  
popcorn.gif

I don't have any insider news, but I do read widely.  iOS7 is supposedly a greatly improved version. I'm hoping for a 128GB iPhone since SanDisk has started manufacturing their new chip.

The thing is Apple hasn't gone so quiet for so long for many years. Things 'do or die' should be coming. Meaning it should be great. 

May 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,143 of 5,999
Quote:
LOD to amps have been doing well with iOS devices for as long as iOS was around.
Now with M8 releasing, and also a small range of similar devices, I don't think finding an "iOS compatible DAC/Amp" is painful at all.
Choosing an iOS device is arguably less painful for the wallet than choosing an Android device because it holds its value better.

I choose the phone first, and its function and ease of use, before I think about 'music optimization'. With M8, it's a no brainer for me.

Oh, CEntrance products hold their value extremely well too. Have a look at the marketplace. 

Amps on their own, no problem, I know, but DAC's have been the issue with the iPhone 5 for me, as their digital-only output requires MFI certification on the DAC in order to work and that adds a couple hundred bucks to the price as well as makes them scarce in variety

May 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,144 of 5,999
Quote:
Amps on their own, no problem, I know, but DAC's have been the issue with the iPhone 5 for me, as their digital-only output requires MFI certification on the DAC in order to work and that adds a couple hundred bucks to the price as well as makes them scarce in variety

I believe the MFI certification is in place so the Apple experience don't suck like some Android devices that have compatibility issues. Without the MFI, the marketplace will be flooded with unsatisfactory products that put off consumers. For Apple, it means a better experience with the iOS device. For consumers it means an assurance of things that simply work. For the 3rd Party MFi member, it means they get the added Apple support and brand value. Then of course there's a certain cost required for this value exchange.

Balanced headphones are scarce, and CEntrance is developing the M8 primarily for the portable market of balanced headphone users. Products often start off as a niche before becoming mainstream. Think of whatever that is popular. To innovate, companies have to break new grounds and take risks.

If you wish to discuss further Apple specific issues that has no relation to the M8, please PM me so we can keep this thread on topic. Thanks. 

--
Feel free to explore the Astell & Kern AK120 (>$1000), or AK100 if DAC bothers you. It has 2!

May 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,145 of 5,999
Quote:
I believe the MFI certification is in place so the Apple experience don't suck like some Android devices that have compatibility issues. Without the MFI, the marketplace will be flooded with unsatisfactory products that put off consumers. For Apple, it means a better experience with the iOS device. For consumers it means an assurance of things that simply work. For the 3rd Party MFi member, it means they get the added Apple support and brand value. Then of course there's a certain cost required for this value exchange.

Balanced headphones are scarce, and CEntrance is developing the M8 primarily for the portable market of balanced headphone users. Products often start off as a niche before becoming mainstream. Think of whatever that is popular. To innovate, companies have to break new grounds and take risks.

If you wish to discuss further Apple specific issues that has no relation to the M8, please PM me so we can keep this thread on topic. Thanks. 

--
Feel free to explore the Astell & Kern AK120 (>$1000), or AK100 if DAC bothers you. It has 2!

I know still OT but gotta say.......eron.....very well thought out and expressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back