The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,036 of 5,999
Quote:
I see this on TTVJ. Are they available now? It does not say anything about delayed shipment....
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_p/cen0000003.htm
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_LX_p/cen0000004.htm

And does anyone know if the HifiM8 require special drivers for Windows? I am using a new app for Android that allows use of plug and play external DACs, and would like to try this if it might work.

We technically aren't allowed to "offer the unit for sale" until all approvals are in place. We requested that TTVJ take down the "for sale" sign for now. They are probably too busy with the holidays. We will remind them again in January.

CEntrance will supply all Windows drivers with the product. No Mac drivers will be needed. No Linux drivers will be needed. Android is the Wild West at the moment. We are at the mercy of The Google and the Hardware Makers.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,037 of 5,999
Quote:
Here is the deal - we only expect 500mA worth of charging current from the USB B jack, which is USB standard, so we are only going to take 500mA from that jack. It's less than what we can take from the round jack, where we will take up to 2 Amps. On the round jack, the plug is wired for (+) in the middle, it's a 2.5mm plug I believe (no specs by hand, working from home).

I would advise to feed the charging current to M8 from the round jack - this way M8 will double up as the iDevice charger and will take some current for itself. If you power the M8 from USB jack alone, it will take all of those 500mA to itself and won't give anything out to the iDevice. All in all, better to use the round jack. If I didn't answer your question sufficiently, please re-ask.

Sorry, what does 'round' jack mean?

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,040 of 5,999
Quote:
Faith is believing without seeing!
Merry Christmas!

And sometimes, Faith is a choice one makes in spite of "evidence" that might reasonably lead to other conclusions.  It seems you have chosen as well.  (ok, mild evangelic mode exited...) Merry Christmas eron!  Merry Christmas Michael and Centrance!  Merry Christmas Head-fi!

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,041 of 5,999
Quote:
We technically aren't allowed to "offer the unit for sale" until all approvals are in place. We requested that TTVJ take down the "for sale" sign for now. They are probably too busy with the holidays. We will remind them again in January.

CEntrance will supply all Windows drivers with the product. No Mac drivers will be needed. No Linux drivers will be needed. Android is the Wild West at the moment. We are at the mercy of The Google and the Hardware Makers.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I will wait and see what develops when Android more generally supports external DACs before trying the Hifi-M8. It is my understanding that Android is based on Linux and already has the Linux code to allow the use of USB DACs, however, that section of the code is not active in the current releases of Android. So possibly when Google adds USB DAC support to the Android OS, the Hifi-M8 will be plug and play just like it is for Linux now.

In the meantime, I just bought a DACport LX to try out as I know that will work with the USB Audio Recorder Pro app that currently allows my Nexus 10 Android tablet to use an external DAC, based on the reports in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1065#post_8968468

And I will also keep an eye out here on Headfi to see how the new Hifi-M8 is received.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,042 of 5,999
Ohhh... now you have to wait 'til Christmas day to hear them...

This reminds me of a trick I pulled a few years ago, having ordered the latest and greatest graphics adapter from nVidia (as a gift to me from my wife), when the package arrived, I covertly swapped the new graphics card with my old one, having blown the dust off it - then installed the new one in my PC that same day, securing instant gratification...   

None the wiser, my wife wrapped the package and stuck it under the tree.  A couple of weeks later, on Christmas day, I opened her present, pulled out the "new" graphics adapter and made a big fuss over how awesome it was going to be. "I can't wait to get it installed!"

Yes, I'm bad, very bad.

Shhhhh....

:cool:

Hahahah..we are actually all kids deep within, we are only pretending to be adults. As the saying goes.. Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. - cheers and happy holiday my friend.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,043 of 5,999
Quote:
Hahahah..we are actually all kids deep within, we are only pretending to be adults. As the saying goes.. Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. - cheers and happy holiday my friend.

Thanks Audiowood,

Having resurrected that memory, reading your comment makes me feel much better!   

biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,047 of 5,999
Quote:
Here is the deal - we only expect 500mA worth of charging current from the USB B jack, which is USB standard, so we are only going to take 500mA from that jack. It's less than what we can take from the round jack, where we will take up to 2 Amps. On the round jack, the plug is wired for (+) in the middle, it's a 2.5mm plug I believe (no specs by hand, working from home).

I would advise to feed the charging current to M8 from the round jack - this way M8 will double up as the iDevice charger and will take some current for itself. If you power the M8 from USB jack alone, it will take all of those 500mA to itself and won't give anything out to the iDevice. All in all, better to use the round jack. If I didn't answer your question sufficiently, please re-ask.

Thanks, Michael.  Yes, that answered my question perfectly.  I've got some adapter tips from another external battery that bit the dust years ago and will wait 'till I have the M8 in hand to pair the correct one.  Looking forward to the new year which will bring us closer to delivery!

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,049 of 5,999
hello guys,

merry chrismas to everyone. I'm not sure the topic was discussed yet, but do we actually have info about the dac part of the hifi-m8?
Same as dacport? , daport lx? dacmini? something new?
kindest regards.
Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back