The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,052 of 5,999
Quote:
hello guys,

merry chrismas to everyone. I'm not sure the topic was discussed yet, but do we actually have info about the dac part of the hifi-m8?
Same as dacport? , daport lx? dacmini? something new?
kindest regards.
Q

Let's just say "If you liked DACmini, you will love HiFi-M8".

Its unbelievable how much hype there is about DAC chips out there. A lot of it is based on what manufacturers say in the ad, which is not always true. And there is bad press. You can take a good part and botch it up if you use it incorrectly and that will affect its reputation. And there are truly good parts and not so good parts.

More importantly for a portable product, there are parts that consume a lot of power and there are those that are much more frugal and therefore, battery-friendly.

Needless to say, we went with frugal and good-sounding. I actually listened today for the first time to the newest circuitry. The bass blew my mind. Output power is more than sufficient. Crazy loud, actually. My ears hurt from a day of listening... In a good way... 

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/12/27/bass-boost-rocks/

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,054 of 5,999
From what I have read in this thread, are the treble settings flat, boost and huge boost? I think treble reduce, flat then boost would give the users more freedom since the treble of most decent headphones range from dark to supernova bright (e.g a HD800 user would probably never touch the treble boost but may use the treble reduce). If this is already finalized then never mind...

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,055 of 5,999
That's a very good question. I can think of quiet a few headphones that would benefit from a slight reduction in treble energy. Now if someone could come up with a grain reduce setting.....
smile_phones.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,056 of 5,999
Quote:
From what I have read in this thread, are the treble settings flat, boost and huge boost? I think treble reduce, flat then boost would give the users more freedom since the treble of most decent headphones range from dark to supernova bright (e.g a HD800 user would probably never touch the treble boost but may use the treble reduce). If this is already finalized then never mind...

No cut, sorry. Flat, slightest openness, more openness. We are going for a tiny boost to the "air" of the recording. You'll find that it helps many headphones, but "supernova bright" we can't fix. That requires a "nucular reactor" :)

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,057 of 5,999
looking at the blog post for yesterday, there is now 4 front panel options?!
dual 3 pin
dual 3 pin combo with 1/4
4 pin with 1/4 and 1/8
rsa with 1/4 and 1/8 

is there a reason why someone would choose the dual 3 pin without combo 1/4?

and looks like the 1/4 output sticks out

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,058 of 5,999
Quote:
No cut, sorry. Flat, slightest openness, more openness. We are going for a tiny boost to the "air" of the recording. You'll find that it helps many headphones, but "supernova bright" we can't fix. That requires a "nucular reactor" :)

Long live HD800. The "High, Dammit 800".

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,059 of 5,999
Quote:
dual 3 pin
4 pin with 1/4 and 1/8
rsa with 1/4 and 1/8 

The dual 3 pin sockets without combo 1/4 are the wrong sex for headphones.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,060 of 5,999
dual 3 pin
4 pin with 1/4 and 1/8
rsa with 1/4 and 1/8 

Nice catch on the male outputs. They are for pro applications. A nod to our friends in the recording market. Not useful at home.

The 1/4" will be recessed. On it now.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,061 of 5,999
dual 3 pin
4 pin with 1/4 and 1/8
rsa with 1/4 and 1/8 

Quote:
Nice catch on the male outputs. They are for pro applications. A nod to our friends in the recording market. Not useful at home.
The 1/4" will be recessed. On it now.

Michael, since we are getting so close (yea!) I think it would be good to state our choices for the front panel options, please?

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,062 of 5,999
I'm curious.  What headphone is CEntrance testing with this new product?  How will power hungry cans fair?  If its already listed somewhere, I apologize...

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,063 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm curious.  What headphone is CEntrance testing with this new product?  How will power hungry cans fair?  If its already listed somewhere, I apologize...

All the power hungry Big Guns. Michael mentioned them a few posts earlier.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,064 of 5,999
Here's a question for the crowd or for Michael - 

The 2 x 3 pin XLR's technically have 3 contacts / wires per channel, at least available.  Balanced headphones usually use just 2 wires per channel, unless I guess if one were to use a shielded cable?

The 1 x 4 pin XLR has 2 contacts / wires available per channel.  Does this give up any functionality over the 2 x 3 pin XLR?

Does the HFI-M8 have a chassis ground or other use for the 3rd pin on 2 x 3 pin XLR?  If it does, how might I make use of it?  The only real use for shielded cable is microphone cable, as far as I know (which is none too far where pro audio is concerned, but I'd love to learn more...).

Anyway, what I'm getting at - Is there a conceivable use for the 2 x 3 pin XLR that cannot be done at all or as well with the 4 pin XLR?  As long as I'm buying an audio swiss army knife, I really want to have all the info I can get in order to select the right tool set on my knife, ahh, M8!

Note my usage is basically home, office and on the go listening for now, but you never know what might come up...

Thanks all!

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,065 of 5,999
Well clearly we can rig up one of those as a mic input for karaoke! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back