The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,021 of 5,999
Quote:
Quote:

So what kind of power are we dealing with here? Would it be able drive the LCD3 in a satisfactory fashion? I heard one out of a ALO Rx MK3-B and it sounded pretty damn sweet. I would mostly get a M8 for CIEMs, but it would be a nice bonus.

Well, I thought to myself......'Self, 7-8 hours would be great, however just in case it will be less than (which seems likely), I HAVE to make sure I can still justify purchasing the HIFI M8.'
So I put down on my Christmas wish list LCD3.  In spite of being a bad boy....guess what?

Snapped before they wrapped it 
biggrin.gif

NEED M8 NOW!

You Dog! 

I look forward to your impressions.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,022 of 5,999
Quote:
Quote:

So what kind of power are we dealing with here? Would it be able drive the LCD3 in a satisfactory fashion? I heard one out of a ALO Rx MK3-B and it sounded pretty damn sweet. I would mostly get a M8 for CIEMs, but it would be a nice bonus.

Well, I thought to myself......'Self, 7-8 hours would be great, however just in case it will be less than (which seems likely), I HAVE to make sure I can still justify purchasing the HIFI M8.'
So I put down on my Christmas wish list LCD3.  In spite of being a bad boy....guess what?

biggrin.gif

NEED M8 NOW!

Grab an audioquest Dragonfly for that bad boy xD

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,023 of 5,999
Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

NEED M8 NOW!
Quote:

Grab an audioquest Dragonfly for that bad boy xD

Is that what you use for yours? 
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,024 of 5,999
Quote:
Quote:
Is that what you use for yours? 
wink_face.gif

Right now? Yes. xD

At home I normally use a WA6-SE but I'm not home so trans-portably with my laptop I use the DragonFly. Other portably (ipod) is The Intruder.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,026 of 5,999
Quote:
I have my eye on the new 7 from Woo. Its small and I can make it fit on my little table in place of the 11.32 :)

Excited for that too :)

BTT:
When's the RSA edition coming?

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,028 of 5,999
Quote:
Just a reminder: DACport is now at the low price of $300 and DACport LX is $250...and for a limited time we are also offering free shipping to anywhere in the world!

-Kenny

I'll echo the plug for the DacPort sisters.  I've owned both - I started with the LX and decided I didn't want a separate DAC and amp for laptop use and got the regular DacPort.  The sale price for these is a bargain for the quality and utility they offer.  I will also note that Centrance was EXTREMELY accommodating when I decided to switch after a month or so, from the LX to the DacPort with amp.  My experience with Centrance during the trade, as well as the quality of the devices has much to do with my choice to pre-order the HIFI-M8 - it takes a bit of trust to hand over a good sized chunk of change for a future delivery of a new to market product, and an uncertain delivery date.  I am very comfortable doing this with Centrance.

OK, fanboy stump speech over...

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,029 of 5,999
Quote:
I'll echo the plug for the DacPort sisters.  I've owned both - I started with the LX and decided I didn't want a separate DAC and amp for laptop use and got the regular DacPort.  The sale price for these is a bargain for the quality and utility they offer.  I will also note that Centrance was EXTREMELY accommodating when I decided to switch after a month or so, from the LX to the DacPort with amp.  My experience with Centrance during the trade, as well as the quality of the devices has much to do with my choice to pre-order the HIFI-M8 - it takes a bit of trust to hand over a good sized chunk of change for a future delivery of a new to market product, and an uncertain delivery date.  I am very comfortable doing this with Centrance.

OK, fanboy stump speech over...

I agree. It was my experience with CEntrance and the way they handled a warranty claim and an out-of-warranty issue for my Dacmini that convinced me they are stand-up honest And make great products. I didn't hesitate for a minute when given the opportunity to pre-order the M8.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,030 of 5,999
I agree. It was my experience with CEntrance and the way they handled a warranty claim and an out-of-warranty issue for my Dacmini that convinced me they are stand-up honest And make great products. I didn't hesitate for a minute when given the opportunity to pre-order the M8.

NEED M8 NOW. Not the friend kind lol.

I know patience is a virtue. And we will be rewarded for our patience :)

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,031 of 5,999
Hey, Michael-

Stepped away from the site and this thread for a few weeks wrapping up business for the year so the wife and I can go on vacation for a couple of weeks.  There have been over 300 posts since my last read, so please forgive me if I ask a question you've already answered.

From the blog posts, you addressed the fact that the USB-B port can serve as audio in/charge while the USB-A port is iDevice audio in and charge iDevice if the M8 is plugged into the wall.

I picked up the Mophie Juicepack power station duo, a 6000 mAh battery which has two USB-A outputs to charge two devices simultaneously, one of them at 2.1 amps.  Can I have this power the M8 via the USB-B while running an audio signal in through the iDevice port, or does the M8 auto-switch to only allow one of those two plugs to be active at any moment?  Or do I need to find an interconnect that will allow me to plug that battery into the round charging socket?  If so, what are the specs on that power socket for the wall wart so I know what kind of plug to look for?

Thanks in advance and I hope your immune system won out over the flu so that you can enjoy the holidays.

Michael

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,032 of 5,999
Quote:
[snip]

biggrin.gif

NEED M8 NOW!

Ohhh... now you have to wait 'til Christmas day to hear them...

This reminds me of a trick I pulled a few years ago, having ordered the latest and greatest graphics adapter from nVidia (as a gift to me from my wife), when the package arrived, I covertly swapped the new graphics card with my old one, having blown the dust off it - then installed the new one in my PC that same day, securing instant gratification...   

None the wiser, my wife wrapped the package and stuck it under the tree.  A couple of weeks later, on Christmas day, I opened her present, pulled out the "new" graphics adapter and made a big fuss over how awesome it was going to be. "I can't wait to get it installed!"

Yes, I'm bad, very bad.

Shhhhh....

cool.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,033 of 5,999
I see this on TTVJ. Are they available now? It does not say anything about delayed shipment....
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_p/cen0000003.htm
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_LX_p/cen0000004.htm

And does anyone know if the HifiM8 require special drivers for Windows? I am using a new app for Android that allows use of plug and play external DACs, and would like to try this if it might work.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,034 of 5,999
Quote:
I see this on TTVJ. Are they available now? It does not say anything about delayed shipment....
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_p/cen0000003.htm
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_LX_p/cen0000004.htm

And does anyone know if the HifiM8 require special drivers for Windows? I am using a new app for Android that allows use of plug and play external DACs, and would like to try this if it might work.

Look a few pages back about availability.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,035 of 5,999
Quote:
I picked up the Mophie Juicepack power station duo, a 6000 mAh battery which has two USB-A outputs to charge two devices simultaneously, one of them at 2.1 amps.  Can I have this power the M8 via the USB-B while running an audio signal in through the iDevice port, or does the M8 auto-switch to only allow one of those two plugs to be active at any moment?  Or do I need to find an interconnect that will allow me to plug that battery into the round charging socket?  If so, what are the specs on that power socket for the wall wart so I know what kind of plug to look for?

Here is the deal - we only expect 500mA worth of charging current from the USB B jack, which is USB standard, so we are only going to take 500mA from that jack. It's less than what we can take from the round jack, where we will take up to 2 Amps. On the round jack, the plug is wired for (+) in the middle, it's a 2.5mm plug I believe (no specs by hand, working from home).

I would advise to feed the charging current to M8 from the round jack - this way M8 will double up as the iDevice charger and will take some current for itself. If you power the M8 from USB jack alone, it will take all of those 500mA to itself and won't give anything out to the iDevice. All in all, better to use the round jack. If I didn't answer your question sufficiently, please re-ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back