The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #661 of 5,999
The Energizer XP8000 works great with the DACmini, I've been usng this combo for a while 
cool.gif

Quote:

Or perhaps make a battery that's also compatible with the Dacmini? Or if volume production is the ideal, then make a battery pack with a selection of tips for other popular portable amps (like the Stepdance/Quickstep for instance). 

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #662 of 5,999
I never see anyone talk about using the XP18000. I guess it's just too big? 

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #664 of 5,999
From the HiFi-M8 blog.

Quote:
We’ll see if that’s how it pans out with HiFi-M8. This product is our flagship, so we need to make sure it’s absolutely flawless. If another prototype round is necessary, so be it. Of course, we will try to avoid it if possible, in order to ship sooner.

I would just like to say, as much as I'm anticipating the arrival of my HiFi-M8, I don't mind a longer wait if it means getting a better, more polished product.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #668 of 5,999
I am officially excited for this now. It might end up biting me in the ass some time down the road, but I think I'm going for RSA kobi.

I'm in the same boat! There seems to be a push from the cable industry to move away from the RSA/Kobiconn connector....at least from my experience communicating with them.

Keeping things balanced, I'd like to use my JH13's with this amp while travelling and also use it as my desktop DAC connected to a BHA-1 while at home. A mini-xlr would have been perfect, but I can make the RSA/Kobiconn work too.

With that said, I haven't given-up on the 4-pin xlr option yet; it just seems bulky to me with CIEM's hanging-off the other end. Either way, I'm still grateful for folks like Michael who possess the immense talent to bring such an amazing, portable, quality product like this to market at a reasonable price. Can't wait to try it!

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #669 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm in the same boat! There seems to be a push from the cable industry to move away from the RSA/Kobiconn connector....at least from my experience communicating with them.
Keeping things balanced, I'd like to use my JH13's with this amp while travelling and also use it as my desktop DAC connected to a BHA-1 while at home. A mini-xlr would have been perfect, but I can make the RSA/Kobiconn work too.
With that said, I haven't given-up on the 4-pin xlr option yet; it just seems bulky to me with CIEM's hanging-off the other end. Either way, I'm still grateful for folks like Michael who possess the immense talent to bring such an amazing, portable, quality product like this to market at a reasonable price. Can't wait to try it!

I agree on all counts. Still, I'm hoping Michael and the CEntrance Team will be able to offer the mini-xlr option with a 1/4" TRS and a 3.5 mm TRS. If not, I will likely stick with the 4-pin xlr.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #671 of 5,999
You can always terminate to a mini-XLR and use different attachments depending on use. Doesn't add much weight and is very convenient. I built a whole set to take to a recent meet.
I still think the mini-XLR would be ideal for portable balanced, but I guess once precedence has been set, it is hard for consumers to change. I'm okay with full sized XLR since I plan to use this as more of a transportable full sized headphone rig. When going truly portable, single ended IEMs straight into my phone works just fine.

If anyone needs help with cables or terminations, you can PM me or visit the DIY cable gallery.

And thanks to the Centrance team for taking the community feedback so seriously. So impressed that this has become the very first pre order I have participated in during my Head first journey.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #672 of 5,999
I'm not sure how mini XLR works, however I can concur with what was mentioned on the blog. The way that XLR 'clicks' in securely makes it a very attractive choice - even if it's not being used with a balanced setup. IMO they just have a more reliable feel which is hopefully reflected in real world use. 

I'm a bit confused given the artist renditions for the possible 3 front plates
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/11/13/panel-permutations-two/

Will the M8 permutation with the 2 x dual XLR front plate also have the option of SPDIF and headphone output? By the latter, I mean a single socket which is easily used by headphones using a 3.5mm and/or 1/4" jack. The rendition implies that having that front plate sacrifices those great features.

Cheers

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #673 of 5,999
You can always terminate to a mini-XLR and use different attachments depending on use. Doesn't add much weight and is very convenient. I built a whole set to take to a recent meet.
I still think the mini-XLR would be ideal for portable balanced, but I guess once precedence has been set, it is hard for consumers to change. I'm okay with full sized XLR since I plan to use this as more of a transportable full sized headphone rig. When going truly portable, single ended IEMs straight into my phone works just fine.
If anyone needs help with cables or terminations, you can PM me or visit the DIY cable gallery.
And thanks to the Centrance team for taking the community feedback so seriously. So impressed that this has become the very first pre order I have participated in during my Head first journey.

I think this is the route I'll go with. Headphones and iems remain relatively light. A 4 pin XLR to mini XLR would then stay with the M8, or in the messenger bag. That way, if centrance does include the option for mini XLR I am set, and if not, it is an easy and compact adapter to the 4 pin, as compared to the RSA with the right angle plug. I'd rather the mini XLR, though...

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #674 of 5,999
I wonder if there are any solid XLR to mini-XLR adapters on the market. As in, not two adapters connected by wire, but one single piece.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #675 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm not sure how mini XLR works, however I can concur with what was mentioned on the blog. The way that XLR 'clicks' in securely makes it a very attractive choice - even if it's not being used with a balanced setup. IMO they just have a more reliable feel which is hopefully reflected in real world use. 

I'm a bit confused given the artist renditions for the possible 3 front plates
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/11/13/panel-permutations-two/

Will the M8 permutation with the 2 x dual XLR front plate also have the option of SPDIF and headphone output? By the latter, I mean a single socket which is easily used by headphones using a 3.5mm and/or 1/4" jack. The rendition implies that having that front plate sacrifices those great features.

Cheers

Mini XLRs are just like regular ones, just mini :)  Below is the cable I made to take to meets.  You can see the female mini-XLR's size compared to some regular male XLR's.  

I preordered for a regular 4 pin XLR.  At this point, if there is a last minute change to mini-XLR's I hope I can work something out with Centrance to get one of those instead.  From reading this thread, it looks like it might be too late since the analog board is in testing.  

And for the faceplates, unless things change again, you won't get the combo spdif/analog 3.5mm jack with the dual 3-pin XLR's.  I don't know if it will move to the back or simply not be an option.  You can, however plug 1/4" plugs or use an adapter for a 3.5mm in the combo jacks used for the dual 3-pin XLR option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back