The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 29, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #5,507 of 5,999
Most fully balanced amps I would say there is a substantial improvement going to the XLR jack, because you usually access the amp's full power potential.  But not so with the M8.  It is impedance balanced only.  With my HD650s I'm hard pressed to hear any sonic improvements.  I sometimes think I'm hearing a very slight soundstage improvement, and other times I'm doubting myself.

With that said, the stock HD650 cable is quite long, and not idea for desktop listening.  So a shorter cable would help with ergonomics.  And I could tell you about the benefits of silver plated copper or pure silver for the HD650, but I'm already hearing the groans for the other head-fiers...:p

Whats the diff? I have an hd650 also and believe in cable after hearing good quality ones for my iems.

May 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #5,508 of 5,999
Whats the diff? I have an hd650 also and believe in cable after hearing good quality ones for my iems.

The OP wanted to know if going to 4 pin XLR would make the M8 sound even better.  I would argue no, or at least barely.  The M8 is unique, or maybe rare, in the since that the 1/4" jack gets the same amount of power as the "balanced" output.  Most balanced amps get major power increases through the balanced outputs.

I agree that the HD650 can be made to sound better with a cable upgrade.  Its just this Amp/DAC has nothing to do with said improvement.  Also an ergonomic improvement, if the long stock cable makes things difficult to move around.

May 30, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #5,509 of 5,999
The OP wanted to know if going to 4 pin XLR would make the M8 sound even better.  I would argue no, or at least barely.  The M8 is unique, or maybe rare, in the since that the 1/4" jack gets the same amount of power as the "balanced" output.  Most balanced amps get major power increases through the balanced outputs.

I agree that the HD650 can be made to sound better with a cable upgrade.  Its just this Amp/DAC has nothing to do with said improvement.  Also an ergonomic improvement, if the long stock cable makes things difficult to move around.

Thanks i was actually interested on your commentary on the silver plated copper vs pure silver for the hd650 with the hifi m8. I did a comparison before on pure silver vs gold plated silver and another time between crystal cable vs alo ref 16 mini to mini interconnects and i actually preferred silver only and cystal cable respectively. For someone who thought it was wishy washy voodoo magic, i left convinced that cables did indeed matter.

May 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,510 of 5,999
Thanks i was actually interested on your commentary on the silver plated copper vs pure silver for the hd650 with the hifi m8. I did a comparison before on pure silver vs gold plated silver and another time between crystal cable vs alo ref 16 mini to mini interconnects and i actually preferred silver only and cystal cable respectively. For someone who thought it was wishy washy voodoo magic, i left convinced that cables did indeed matter.

I say to each their own. I tried copper vs silver and I found myself liking copper better. But if you like sliver better and that makes you happy I am all for it. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #5,512 of 5,999
  I sometimes think I'm hearing a very slight soundstage improvement, and other times I'm doubting myself.

I have a custom cable for my Shure 1840 that has interchangeable ends, 3.5mm or 4-pin XLR. I don't listen to it often as it's not my main gear, but I do recall having the impression of a slightly wider soundstage and a bit cleaner/darker background. But all this is from memory, if you're keen I'll do a more detailed comparison.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #5,513 of 5,999
I received one of these yesterday to drive my HE-560s and so far I'm very impressed with the pairing however I'm having an issue with my iDevice when the HiFi-M8 is running on battery. In particular, my iPhone 5s is connected via the stock apple Lightning to USB cable and everything works perfectly when I have the power adapter connected to the HiFi-M8. As soon as I disconnect the power adapter and try to run on battery, sound output switches to the iPhone's internal speaker. Per the troubleshooting instructions on the HiFi-M8 documentation insert I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the lightning cable several times. I've even swapped the cable with no change.

Anyone have experience with this? From browsing this thread it sounds as though iDevices should work while the HiFi-M8 is on battery power.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,514 of 5,999
Try rebooting the iPhone.  I know its a bit of a pain, but I get that from time to time.  I always power up the M8 after connecting my iPod, and I seem to have zero issues that way....

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,515 of 5,999
Tried a few reboots. Tried several connect and power on sequences including iPhone connected before turning on, turning on before connecting iPhone, turning on and playing something before connecting iPhone. No luck so far.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #5,517 of 5,999
Are you pulling the power cord out while it's turned on/in iOS mode?

I've tried the following:

- Rebooted iPhone > 2 times
- Connected iPhone via lightning USB cable then turned on HiFi-M8 (on AC power) = works fine
- Turned on HiFi-M8 (on AC power) then connected iPhone via lightning USB cable = works fine
- Connected iPhone via lightning USB cable then turned on HiFi-M8 (on battery) = not working, sound comes through iPhone speaker
- Turned on HiFi-M8 (on battery) then connected iPhone via lightning USB cable = not working, sound comes through iPhone speaker

Additionally, I tried pulling the HiFi-M8 AC power while turned on and in iOS mode. As soon as I disconnect the power the sound stops playing through the headphones and returns to the iPhone speaker.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #5,518 of 5,999
Just checking, as I get the same issue if I pull the power cord out while the device is playing or plug it in while it's already playing on battery . I always plug the phone in, then power on the m8, then tell the iPhone to play now and don't have issues.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #5,519 of 5,999
Just checking, as I get the same issue if I pull the power cord out while the device is playing or plug it in while it's already playing on battery . I always plug the phone in, then power on the m8, then tell the iPhone to play now and don't have issues.

Thanks for checking. What model iPhone do you have? I wonder if there are issues with the 5s specifically

Users who are viewing this thread

Back