The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #5,538 of 5,999
Thanks guys, next phone I get will probably be a Samsung, seem to be easier to use in this way. I actually got the HTC thinking it was better sounding, but, actually, I rarely use the phone for music anyway. Mostly use my Pono, which I really like, for portable listening, or PC/Geek Out Special Edition, or the main rig (not so often since I began listening to headphones). With the iPad available as well, I probably don't need the phone as music source.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #5,540 of 5,999
I wanted a very good USB cable in the ~$100-$200 budget for my Centrance. The AudioQuest Carbon was the firt on my list, and iFi Mercury USB Cable but after a research, I eventually ordered a TotalDAC d1 : pricey than what I was looking for, but according to some, the very best USB cable money can buy for its physical and meaty presentation. For 350 euros, it is a bargain. My system is a MacBook Pro with iTunes and BitPerfect, a standard crappy USB cable and the Centrance M8 Hi-Fi with Earsonics Velvet. I am happy with the sound except that I have some dry/harsh trumpet or violin presentation when they reach some frequencies (a problem that I think probably comes from the USB cable) and some lack of micro-details, but this is probably due to the dark presentation of the Centrance. An upgrade there would probably bring me in the Chord Hugo or Chord Hugo TT range, much more expensive. Back in few weeks for a review of the TotalDAC d1 + Centrance. I hope this cable to magnify the qualities of the M8.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5,541 of 5,999
Wanted to know if the centrance charged the ipod when the dac/amp isn't charging?

Also did anyone feel like it was lacking in fullness in the sound produced, does the theorem 720 dac sound better?

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #5,542 of 5,999
It only charges idevices when it's plugged in and the switch is in idevice mode.  Not plugged in, no charge.  Not in idevice mode, no charge.  I have not experienced a lack of fullness.  I also have not heard the theorem 720.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #5,544 of 5,999
I leave the tone adjustments off most of the time.  If I'm using my K10's, sometimes I'll bump the treble up for ****s and giggles.  With my HD800's, sometimes I'll bump the bass.  I probably wouldn't mess with them unless you just love extra bass or treble or are trying to fill in for a weakness of the set of headphones you're using.  It's easy enough to adjust them on the fly though, so cycle through them and see if you like one sound over the others. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #5,545 of 5,999
 I have been living with my Centrance M8 for two months and I think I can now give my opinion about it. I have a relatively good audiophile background, with tube amp (VTL) and loudspeakers (Magnepan, Sonus Faber) for about 20 years. Many classical concerts and jazz. I am new to headphones. All these comments are for the M8 associated with the IEM EarSonics Velvet (40 ohms, deep bass, slightly warm sound). I listen from my MacBook Pro with regular USB cable and PureMusic. I am listening mostly Jazz and Classic. Also, these are my ears :) and I am 50 years old.

The Centrance setup is no bass no treeble boost, 1 ohm, gain 2

- bass : exceptional. Goes very very deep, thick. Articulated. Definition is good for low frequencies, and the experience is unique. This bring a sensation of solidity in the music that the Centrance reproduces. The bass is not inflated and some records will show no bass at all. But when it exists in the record, then you will hear it (feel it is a better word). 
- medium : good in general, flat response, clean. Low medium has a better quality than high medium
- treeble : good, clean, but no overly detailed. This is probably what gives the Centrance M8 its dark sound: the treeble information that participate in the 3D presentation is attenuated. Or maybe that's my ears :)
- balance has a slight pic for high medium and is descendant for the treeble. It is not inflated for the bass: what you hear with bass is what you usually don't hear with other gears, because it is out of range.
- 3D space : reasonable. Not very wide, not very deep. There is a sense of space, but it is not always very well integrated with the music. Note that when instruments found their place in space, they do not move. This part might be related to the IEM
- micro-details : not the best I heard. "Average" is the right word.
- transparency : average (a 24/192 record will just sound slightly better than its counterpart in 16/44.1, meaning a fair amount of microinformation will not pass thru the Centrance)
- articulation : very good
- coloration : none
- texture : very good for bass and low medium, average for high medium and treeble
- definition : good. The contrast between sounds of different textures is not the best I heard.
- dynamic : excellent. This amp is fast and very powerful
- hiss : no hiss with my IEM and PureMusic
- grain : exists, particularely with medium (voices, piano); was a little high with iTunes, iTunes with BitPerfect, iTunes with Amarra but it is now far better with PureMusic. It did not disappear but PureMusic manages to partly solve this problem. This is particularely evident on an album from "les basses reunies": with Amarra, Cello is clearly covering the bass with acid tones, and with PureMusic the cello sounds less acid and bass is much more hearable.
- harshness : can exist with music with high medium content, violin, cello, some high pitched voices : the sound is dry and can be harsh. PureMusic improves things and some Vivaldi concerti are now much better. I have ordered a Totaldac D1 filtred cable and hopefully it will further improve this aspect.

Conclusion: this amp is between good and very good and will satisfy most. Badly recorded music will not be improved at all with the Centrance, on the contrary. With good records however, the sound can be impressive. If I had to give a score, I would give a 7, due to the fantastic and natural bass. Without the bass, the DAC/amp would score 5.

The Centrance was my first step in the headphone world. I am now going toward a more detailed DAC and an amp with "liquid" reputation.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #5,547 of 5,999
Yes, ohm switch is on the right side (1 ohm) 
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,548 of 5,999
 I have been living with my Centrance M8 for two months and I think I can now give my opinion about it. I have a relatively good audiophile background, with tube amp (VTL) and loudspeakers (Magnepan, Sonus Faber) for about 20 years. Many classical concerts and jazz. I am new to headphones. All these comments are for the M8 associated with the IEM EarSonics Velvet (40 ohms, deep bass, slightly warm sound). I listen from my MacBook Pro with regular USB cable and PureMusic. I am listening mostly Jazz and Classic. Also, these are my ears :) and I am 50 years old.

The Centrance setup is no bass no treeble boost, 1 ohm, gain 2

- bass : exceptional. Goes very very deep, thick. Articulated. Definition is good for low frequencies, and the experience is unique. This bring a sensation of solidity in the music that the Centrance reproduces. The bass is not inflated and some records will show no bass at all. But when it exists in the record, then you will hear it (feel it is a better word). 

- medium : good in general, flat response, clean. Low medium has a better quality than high medium

- treeble : good, clean, but no overly detailed. This is probably what gives the Centrance M8 its dark sound: the treeble information that participate in the 3D presentation is attenuated. Or maybe that's my ears :)

- balance has a slight pic for high medium and is descendant for the treeble. It is not inflated for the bass: what you hear with bass is what you usually don't hear with other gears, because it is out of range.

- 3D space : reasonable. Not very wide, not very deep. There is a sense of space, but it is not always very well integrated with the music. Note that when instruments found their place in space, they do not move. This part might be related to the IEM

- micro-details : not the best I heard. "Average" is the right word.

- transparency : average (a 24/192 record will just sound slightly better than its counterpart in 16/44.1, meaning a fair amount of microinformation will not pass thru the Centrance)

- articulation : very good
- coloration : none

- texture : very good for bass and low medium, average for high medium and treeble

- definition : good. The contrast between sounds of different textures is not the best I heard.

- dynamic : excellent. This amp is fast and very powerful
- hiss : no hiss with my IEM and PureMusic

- grain : exists, particularely with medium (voices, piano); was a little high with iTunes, iTunes with BitPerfect, iTunes with Amarra but it is now far better with PureMusic. It did not disappear but PureMusic manages to partly solve this problem. This is particularely evident on an album from "les basses reunies": with Amarra, Cello is clearly covering the bass with acid tones, and with PureMusic the cello sounds less acid and bass is much more hearable.

- harshness : can exist with music with high medium content, violin, cello, some high pitched voices : the sound is dry and can be harsh. PureMusic improves things and some Vivaldi concerti are now much better. I have ordered a Totaldac D1 filtred cable and hopefully it will further improve this aspect.

Conclusion: this amp is between good and very good and will satisfy most. Badly recorded music will not be improved at all with the Centrance, on the contrary. With good records however, the sound can be impressive. If I had to give a score, I would give a 7, due to the fantastic and natural bass. Without the bass, the DAC/amp would score 5.

The Centrance was my first step in the headphone world. I am now going toward a more detailed DAC and an amp with "liquid" reputation.

Nice impressions, haven't listened to the M8 in a while because of technical difficulties, get a nose that sounds like playing dirty vinyl when I use it with my PC. Don't get it connected to iPad, think it's some sampling rate settings issue, but can't figure it out (CEntrance checked twice, say it's fine). At first, when it did work, I did get to compare it to my Geek Out Special Edition, a souped up limited version of the Geek Out 1k. The GO SE sounded much more liquid, detailed, involving, much more of a difference than what I expected from reading about the M8. Seems it's more of a good "Jack of all trades..." piece of gear to my ears.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,549 of 5,999
Nice impressions, haven't listened to the M8 in a while because of technical difficulties, get a nose that sounds like playing dirty vinyl when I use it with my PC. Don't get it connected to iPad, think it's some sampling rate settings issue, but can't figure it out (CEntrance checked twice, say it's fine). At first, when it did work, I did get to compare it to my Geek Out Special Edition, a souped up limited version of the Geek Out 1k. The GO SE sounded much more liquid, detailed, involving, much more of a difference than what I expected from reading about the M8. Seems it's more of a good "Jack of all trades..." piece of gear to my ears.

Did you happen to use a 32-80ohm headphone and have the ohm gain set wrong? 

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #5,550 of 5,999
I've tried different headphones and different settings. Would that give the "dirty lo" kind of noise I hear?

Did you happen to use a 32-80ohm headphone and have the ohm gain set wrong? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back