The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #5,567 of 5,999
  Yes,  I understand the gain switch produces more power...just the output impedance switch I know nothing about.

The output impedance switch goes 11, 2, 1 moving left to right when viewed from the rear panel.

This may seem counter intuitive, but thats the way they chose to implement it and I have confirmed that with Michael Goodman at CEntrance, not to mention it has been noted at various other times in this thread.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #5,568 of 5,999

The output impedance switch goes 11, 2, 1 moving left to right when viewed from the rear panel.

This may seem counter intuitive, but thats the way they chose to implement it and I have confirmed that with Michael Goodman at CEntrance, not to mention it has been noted at various other times in this thread.

Ok.  11, 2, and 1.  Good to know. 

I guess my main question is 11 for real High impedance headphones, and 1 for IEM's?  Or does it not matter...just switch to whatever sounds best?

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,569 of 5,999
  Ok.  11, 2, and 1.  Good to know. 

I guess my main question is 11 for real High impedance headphones, and 1 for IEM's?  Or does it not matter...just switch to whatever sounds best?

It actually does not matter and you can use what you feel subjectively sounds best. There will be no damage or problems or other issues if you choose what would appear to be an impedance mismatch.

That said, you've got the general gist of it and very likely a high impedance headphone would sound best on the 11 Ohm output setting.

You would also likely prefer the 11 Ohm output setting if using the M8 as a DAC feeding into another preamplifier, in which case you would also put the M8's volume/level control at it's maximum setting.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5,570 of 5,999

It actually does not matter and you can use what you feel subjectively sounds best. There will be no damage or problems or other issues if you choose what would appear to be an impedance mismatch.

That said, you've got the general gist of it and very likely a high impedance headphone would sound best on the 11 Ohm output setting.

You would also likely prefer the 11 Ohm output setting if using the M8 as a DAC feeding into another preamplifier, in which case you would also put the M8's volume/level control at it's maximum setting.

Cool.  Thanks for the help.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #5,571 of 5,999
d56f49b61e12c9c567e064d544a0fd2c.jpg

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5,575 of 5,999
Mine is "working". It plays music perfectly. The only thing that isn't working is being able to change the quality of audio. Its set @ 24/192.

Had an issue, turns out HTML5 doesn't like windows 10. Was causing audio to stutter. I changed it back to flash and it works perfectly.

Should be fun trying my new toy on the M8.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #5,576 of 5,999
  Mine is "working". It plays music perfectly. The only thing that isn't working is being able to change the quality of audio. Its set @ 24/192.

Thanks for the tip, I was putting mine @24/96 and it did not play. Seems that it only works @24/192 in mixed mode now (ASIO still can play at any frequency). Which is perfectly fine in my case.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #5,578 of 5,999
I guess I'll take no as the answer.

Well, I wasn't going to reply.  I was assuming someone owned one.

Last fall at the NYC head-fi meet, I was able to listen to the T1 paired with Jack Woo's WA8 prototype.  I was stunned with how well that little DAC/tube amp combo really tamed the treble and brought the bass to life.  Really a wonderful combo, but the thing is going to be about $1500.  So I guess it should be special....

Anyways, I wanted a reference.  So, I pulled out my handy dandy M8 and plugged the T1 in.  I was surprised how well the $600ish M8 also handled the T1 (I had impedance and gain set to high).  The treble was a touch more harsh but not fatiguing.  The bass didn't quite have the same punch, but it wasn't disappointing.  Basically I think the T1 and the M8 make a fine combo, assuming you aren't spoiled by summit-fi amplification and DACs...

This was only a demo......lol

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,580 of 5,999
Am I right in assuming the Impedance adjustment switch does not work while in balanced? It only works in Single Ended?

Only reason I ask is my impedance switch doesn't work in balanced but I noticed the switch is included in balanced only versions of the M8. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back