The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,231 of 1,323
I appreciate the feedback. I've already searched all over for an earpad solution that didn't involve $30 plus $15 in shipping and figured I'd scour the classifieds here. I re-measured the earpads with an engineering scale rather than the tape measure at home and they measured 67 mm, not 57 mm. :facepalm: I'm at a loss on that one, so it looks like earpads are not what I'm thinking about. I'm wondering if any kind of vibration damping can be done to the earcups to deaden the response. Perhaps the earpads are still too new and stiff to really evaluate fully.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,232 of 1,323
The DT1350 is known to be a very fit- and seal-dependent. I heard that some people, especially when their headphone is still new and they're not fully used to it yet, need to adjust the fit for quite some time and re-position the headband and cups over and over until they get a good seal and fit. Personally, I do get a great seal and fit most of the time, but sometimes when it's not ideal, I don't get the correct sound either and need to slightly re-adjust the headphone's position on my head. Try experimenting with spreading the split headband, positioning it more at the front of your head, varying with how you position the ear cups on your ears etc.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,233 of 1,323
Back in the thread someplace is a description of the hum test for fit. Put headphones on and hum moving headphones around until you perceive loudest feedback. This tends to indicate best deal for your head. I find this location more forward on ears surprisingly. I also power with Cayin C5 no bass boost unless I can acceptably muddy the mids a little. Bass is very extended, textured and punchy. These headphones are fast and detailed, planar like.

I'm also interested in EDT 51p pads so thanks for the tips.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,234 of 1,323
If you want to get the right pads, it's best to use the Beyerdynamic part number. Many sites mislabel pads (selling T50p pads as T51 pads etc.). But if they state the part number, you'll know what you're really getting. I understand that the following pads fit:

908363 - EDT 1350 NL (velour pads for DT1350 and T50p)
910376 - EDT 1350 SL (67 mm pads for DT1350 and T50p)
906794 - EDT50p (60 or 63 mm pads for DT1350 and T50p)
912603 - EDT51 (60 mm T51p/i pads)

I don't know if there was a separate part number for the smaller pads that DT1350 were originally sold with or if it's the same as 906794. It is the lowest part number of the above, so it could be the same.

The velour pads are not easy to find, but Beyredynamic Europe appears to have them. Others appear to be easier to find.
I can't comment on the sound effect on DT1350, but the T51i that I have sound much better with their stock pads (912603) than with 67 mm DT1350 pads (910376). In comparison, the sound with EDT 1350 SL lacks depth, it's boxy and flat. It is not just bass response, although bass is definitely one of the things that suffer. I assume that the smaller T50/DT1350 pads (906794) would be even worse unless they have a smaller inner diameter/opening (but it doesn't look like they do). Comfort is also better with EDT51, but it is not a big difference because of the small clamping force of T51i/p.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,235 of 1,323
i got them today, they are sweet
IMG_20180318_193830.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,237 of 1,323
I need some help here :) I cant decide between DT1350 and Master & Dynamic MH30.. Wasn't able to find any comparison post for these two.. the MH30 looks good, have detachable cables and magnetic ear pads that could be replaced easy. They both looks good..but the sound is most important.. do anyone by any chance tested them both ? I am listening various stuff but mostly electronic and bassy stuff.. but I don't consider myself as a basshead. So if someone could give me an advice it will be nice.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #1,239 of 1,323
Can't comment on DT1350 but I have two T51i (one with stock pads - better, the other with T50p pads - worse) and MH30. I like both, but prefer the sound of Beyers with most music. Agree that MH30 is bassier and sounds darker. There is a way to change that with different earpads, but you'd need to make a metal adapter ring to use 3rd party pads with them. I actually got such rings and can use over ear pads with MH30 - less bass, better clarity.

Beyerdynamic also has better comfort. MH30 has more pressure on ears (clamping force) and a harder, less comfy headband top - it's not bad, but not nearly as good as Beyer T51i. Also, my ears get a bit hotter with MH30. I read that the comfort of DT1350 is not as good as T51 (much more clamping force), so the difference might be a smaller between DT1350 and MH30.

Both headphones look good and are well built, but here MH30 clearly wins, it's a work of art. I have never seen another headphone that's so beautifully made. Frankly that's the main reason I bought it and it does not disappoint. I'm happy to own them. But they are not my daily phones.

MH30 do have the advantage of a detachable cable. Stock cable is OK and you can use 3rd party cables without any problems (no custom locking mechanisms or narrow openings). And there are sockets in both cups, so if one socket develops a problem, you can still use the other. Beyerdynamic (DT1350, T50, T51) have fixed cables. Not sure about DT1350, but most Beyerdynamic cables are either too long and bulky (pro and bigger home headphones), or thin, flimsy and break easily (portable consumer headphones). Both T51i that I have needed cable repair. Recabling them is doable but not easy: pads are glued on, drivers are pushed in and not easy to remove from cups, and I hated soldering cable to very small solder posts on these drivers, it was almost like soldering cable to IEM drivers. These are not repair friendly headphones.

But parts availability/customer service is much better for Beyerdynamic, at least in Europe. I can buy virtually any Beyerdynamic part locally without much hassle (even for many long discontinued headphones). There is local warranty and post-warranty service, at least in my country there is. For Master & Dynamic there is a single parts webstore for the whole Europe (I assume with one source of shipment = longer waiting period). I wanted to buy Alcantara earpads from them. They are "temporarily sold out" at least since last year and I didn't get a response to a simple question (asked in January) concerning their future availability. When they run out of regular pads, we might have the same problems as with Philips A5Pro (replacement pads not available and never will be, using 3rd party pads not easy due to a custom mounting ring). Also, you can order any part you need from Beyerdynamic (including the whole headband assembly, headband cushion, replacement drivers). The Master & Dynamic store only has earpads and cables. I asked about other parts (specifically headband padding) but they don't answer emails.
BTW, pads for MH30 (50 EUR) cost more than twice the price of Beyerdnamic pads (20 EUR).

So if you want one headphone that you will use on a daily basis and not worry about it becoming unusable when the pads wear out or a driver goes, I would get the Beyerdynamic. Especially if you're not a basshead. But I would probably go with T51p or T51i, not DT1350 (which I did) - from what I read, better comfort and they sound more fun.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,241 of 1,323
Especially if you're not a basshead. .

I agree it doesn't meet certain basshead requirements but IMO, while bass is not particularly deeply extended or loud, when powered adequately it is an extremely energetic/punchy bass, more so than the more bass heavy cans I have tried.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,245 of 1,323
What are you guys thoughts on T50p?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back