The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
May 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,263 of 1,323
sorry for the late answer, i dont have them anymore and the compensation graph is gone
No problem. I ran across the "Facelift" version on sale last week for a little under $80, and after looking up some reviews, well...

For what it's worth, here's a profile for the 1350s from the AutoEQ Github repository:

dt1350 1.png

May 11, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,264 of 1,323
No problem. I ran across the "Facelift" version on sale last week for a little under $80, and after looking up some reviews, well...

For what it's worth, here's a profile for the 1350s from the AutoEQ Github repository:

you just have to experiment with them by ear, my pair was with NL pads, the same pads on the measured pair that i posted, with those pads the lower midrange was a lot making the sound a little bit veiled, also the sub bass level is lower compared to the stock original pads, therefor sub bass boost was added with the EQ and lower mids/upper bass reduction, the end result was very neutral and clean sound

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,265 of 1,323
A late update on these headphones- I swapped the stock earpads on mine, which I think are the NL pads, for the pads the that come with the T51p. They made them sound considerably better, but they didn't improve the sound enough for them to be used without EQ, at least in my opinion. After trying out many EQ curves, including ones I got from using a app that converts graphs into csv files, I ended up using the EQ profile from the AutoEQ Github repository.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,266 of 1,323
Anyone know where to buy the stock velour pads online?

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,267 of 1,323
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,268 of 1,323
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #1,269 of 1,323
Thank you. Does the velour pads change the sound signature?
I made a mistake when I said "I swapped the stock earpads on mine, which I think are the NL pads". The NL pads are the velour pads, so I haven't heard the DT1350 with velour pads. However, "Solderdude" at DIY-Audio-Heaven tested them against the stock pads and some others. Here's the link:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt1350/

He calls the velour pads "Nubuck" pads, and he says they reduce the bass of the headphones. He describes the sound of the 'phones as "cuppy" and "honky", and I don't doubt that he's right for the unit he has, but mine has never sounded that way. Without EQ, they sound veiled almost to the point of being a little muffled. This is especially true with the pads that came with them.

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,270 of 1,323
Listening to stock DT-1350s, the sub-bass is astonishingly clear and well defined. 10-40Hz sounds which are inaudible on speakers, and muddy thumps on Focal Clears have pitch that can be transcribed.

Is the clarity of sub-bass unique to this model, is it a closed headphone characteristic, is it a Beyerdynamic / Tesla driver thing or ...? What other headphones give such well defined low-end response?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,271 of 1,323
Listening to stock DT-1350s, the sub-bass is astonishingly clear and well defined. 10-40Hz sounds which are inaudible on speakers, and muddy thumps on Focal Clears have pitch that can be transcribed.

Is the clarity of sub-bass unique to this model, is it a closed headphone characteristic, is it a Beyerdynamic / Tesla driver thing or ...? What other headphones give such well defined low-end response?

Definitely not all closed backs nor all beyerdynamics have similar quality bass. I think the 1350s are somewhat unique compared to other older DT models, but I haven't spent enough time with the more recent "Tesla" over-ears to make any comment.

Based on my reading Fostex bio-cellulose driver based closed backs (Fostex th600,900 etc, E-MU Teak etc..., Massdrop Th-x00) seem to have the best reputation for bass, but I have never tried one.

I guess the other thing to try would be planar-magnetic headphones, particularly for open back bass. You will often see people refer to "planar bass" though it's not guaranteed just by virtue of being planar and I get the impression that people who are really serious about bass tend to prefer dynamics still (see the "extreme bass" threads). My own planar experience is mostly limited to HE-560 which is a little similar to the Focal Clear - it has deeper, more solid extension but at the lowest frequencies it still gets a little bit waffly.

Just for subbass extension the Sony Z7 w/ 70mm driver is very enjoyable, but it doesn't have the punchy quality of 1350 IMO. I have heard some IEMs that get fairly close (using EQ, ex1000 and dunu 2000j in particular) but obviously they don't have quite the same tactile quality.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,272 of 1,323
Definitely not all closed backs nor all beyerdynamics have similar quality bass. I think the 1350s are somewhat unique compared to other older DT models..

Thanks! I feel so lucky to have found unused DT-1350s for $100, and to have bought them on impulse. Under perfect listening conditions, the Clears sound better for everything except sub-bass... But when there's significant background noise, or I need something portable, the DT-1350s are better. That's about 80% of the time!

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #1,273 of 1,323

Given the variation in production, you may find it unique to that particular headphone....
I has two DT 1350s and they may as well have been two different models -;one was bass light but quick and articulate, the other had a good bass response and was my daily travelor for a while - until the plastic on the left earcup started to (and this seems the only appropriate word) liquidize and become tacky and marking.
Friends and I used to compare our1350s just to see how different they were. Probably heard about 12 and five sounded the same...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,274 of 1,323
Given the variation in production, you may find it unique to that particular headphone....

I've really been very lucky then. Just for the record, mine seem to be the 'facelift' version with leathery-plastic around the two headbands, and pads larger than cups. Other happy owners who remark on the bass have the pre-facelift version.

One downside is that some songs - notably 'Misguided Angel' by Cowboy Junkies, have deep bass that isn't very perceptible on other headphones but which makes them unlistenable with the DT-1350s. Angel is like a pile-driver banging the foundations for a new skyscraper nearby, and I skip that track everytime.

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #1,275 of 1,323
I wonder if anyone here has tried the Aventho wired yet? Curious about them and I've seen them for pretty reasonable prices a few times, just have too many headphones already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back