The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Nov 27, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,082 of 1,323
  Can anyone help me with my dt 1350. I just bought a used but rated as Excellent condition pair and everything looks great except for one thing.  The ear cups won't swivel 90 degree either way.  I called Beyer's customer service and they were baffled as well.  Has anyone experienced this before and know what the fix is?

thanks for your input

Mine was the same and then I moved the right side hard enough to dislodge the mechanism and it now swivels too loosely.
The left side still does`t swivel.

Mine was a "new" pair from a non-registerred dealer on ebay (but with good feedback ratings).
Beyer won`t fix it for warranty because the dealer was not an official Beyer rep.

They want $75 to replace the headband.

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,084 of 1,323

I bought it from Adorama so they agreed to fix it. However, if this issue is more common than Beyer let me to believe its not good.  Lets see if anyone else had the same issue

I love some Beyer products.
Especially the dt880.

That said some have plastic swivels which are questionable IMO.
DT 660 also comes to mind.

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,086 of 1,323
  Can anyone purchase me a pair of velour pads and improved headband from Germany ? They won't ship to the U.S.

Did you ask Beyerdynamic US if they could get you these parts? They don't have it on their website, but maybe...

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,087 of 1,323
If DT 1350s are good for music listening, why are they not described and categorized that way on the Beyer website? 

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/intercom-broadcast-and-tv/monitoring-headphones/dt-1350.html

It's in the intercom, broadcast and TV sections, as well as DJ and studio. It says "regardless of whether you are a sound engineer monitoring PA systems, a broadcast engineer monitoring recoreded sound, a live musician or a DJ, the DT 1350 delivers every time." Nothing about music listening. I've noticed others seem to prefer monitors for music listening, but I wondered if headphone companies considered that a strange use of their products.

(The T51i is in the Home: Music Pleasure and Mobile/Portable sections, although its description doesn't mention anything about music and is careful only to describe its brilliant "sound.") 

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,088 of 1,323
If DT 1350s are good for music listening, why are they not described and categorized that way on the Beyer website? 

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/intercom-broadcast-and-tv/monitoring-headphones/dt-1350.html

It's in the intercom, broadcast and TV sections, as well as DJ and studio. It says "regardless of whether you are a sound engineer monitoring PA systems, a broadcast engineer monitoring recoreded sound, a live musician or a DJ, the DT 1350 delivers every time." Nothing about music listening. I've noticed others seem to prefer monitors for music listening, but I wondered if headphone companies considered that a strange use of their products.

(The T51i is in the Home: Music Pleasure and Mobile/Portable sections, although its description doesn't mention anything about music and is careful only to describe its brilliant "sound.") 

I thought no it's about main target audience, i.e. what needs a product caters to. That does not mean it's not possible to use it otherwise.

You can obviously DJ with a T51p, but as it's not built for that you may find the cable a bit short and the ear pads not robust enough or clamping force to low.

Of course you can use studio gear at home (I do), but it does not offer the polish often associated with home gear. Except for maybe their audio metric offerings th classification does not mean much more than that I'd say: not intended, but usable.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,089 of 1,323
After many years of curiosity, I got just a Beyerdynamic refurb'd pair of these (original version, pre-facelift).

I had only moderate expectations- I've been using v-moda m80s as my portables for years, and these were intended to replace them as they are getting a little long in the tooth. I managed to resist the various black friday sales until I came across this refurb pair with a price I couldn't pass up. I had originally wanted 1350's but went with the m80s due to the price differences at the time (DT1350s were about twice the price). 

I was kind of expecting it to just be a side grade, but I have to say... WOW. These are amazing. Super crisp and more aggressive than I expected. Most detailed portables I've ever heard, and kicking ass across genres so far. I haven't tested extensively, but they even seem to be giving my DT250's a sonic run for their money.

I'm finding that the complaints I've heard are all greatly exaggerated. Clamping force actually feels perfect to me, and comfort is very good. Soundstage is only moderate, but it is less compressed than I expected, and extremely involving. I love the split headband design, as I can get a perfect fit with no movement (always a problem for me with other portables).

I don't think I ever need to consider another portable pair again... until Beyer releases a model with a replaceable cable...

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,091 of 1,323
After many years of curiosity, I got just a Beyerdynamic refurb'd pair of these (original version, pre-facelift).

I had only moderate expectations- I've been using v-moda m80s as my portables for years, and these were intended to replace them as they are getting a little long in the tooth. I managed to resist the various black friday sales until I came across this refurb pair with a price I couldn't pass up. I had originally wanted 1350's but went with the m80s due to the price differences at the time (DT1350s were about twice the price). 

I was kind of expecting it to just be a side grade, but I have to say... WOW. These are amazing. Super crisp and more aggressive than I expected. Most detailed portables I've ever heard, and kicking ass across genres so far. I haven't tested extensively, but they even seem to be giving my DT250's a sonic run for their money.

I'm finding that the complaints I've heard are all greatly exaggerated. Clamping force actually feels perfect to me, and comfort is very good. Soundstage is only moderate, but it is less compressed than I expected, and extremely involving. I love the split headband design, as I can get a perfect fit with no movement (always a problem for me with other portables).

I don't think I ever need to consider another portable pair again... until Beyer releases a model with a replaceable cable...

Nice headphones :)

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,092 of 1,323
I thought no it's about main target audience, i.e. what needs a product caters to. That does not mean it's not possible to use it otherwise.

You make an interesting point regarding "target audience" although the words I would use are "target market".

Most pros I`ve met (many) think that the audiophile market is full of @##$.
Pros obviously enjoy great sound but IMO generally they are less likely to be lulled by audiophile trends, style, snake oil etc...

Not to say there are not great products in both the "pro" and "audiophile" (or "consumer" ) markets but marketing is key to sales and often (in my experience) the audiophile market is manipulated differently by the sales community. 

Relatedly, generally speaking the t51p (marketed to consumers) often costs about a third more in price than the dt1350 (marketed to pros). I fail to believe that the t51p is really that much more expensive to produce. Also, I once owned a t50p. The t50p, despite initial rave reviews by many consumer audio reviewers(some of whom eventually changed their initial reviews due to disagreement with their target "audience") was a seriously flawed headphone IMO. At the time the headphone was released I paid nearly 4 times more for the t50p than my dt1350. Yes I was lulled 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #1,093 of 1,323

You make an interesting point regarding "target audience" although the words I would use are "target market".

Most pros I`ve met (many) think that the audiophile market is full of @##$.
Pros obviously enjoy great sound but IMO generally they are less likely to be lulled by audiophile trends, style, snake oil etc...

Not to say there are not great products in both the "pro" and "audiophile" (or "consumer" ) markets but marketing is key to sales and often (in my experience) the audiophile market is manipulated differently by the sales community. 

Relatedly, generally speaking the t51p (marketed to consumers) often costs about a third more in price than the dt1350 (marketed to pros). I fail to believe that the t51p is really that much more expensive to produce. Also, I once owned a t50p. The t50p, despite initial rave reviews by many consumer audio reviewers(some of whom eventually changed their initial reviews due to disagreement with their target "audience") was a seriously flawed headphone IMO. At the time the headphone was released I paid nearly 4 times more for the t50p than my dt1350. Yes I was lulled 
tongue_smile.gif

Thats about how I see it as well (incidentally coming from a pro audio background btw :wink:
Beyerdynamic has a rather strict separation between pro and consumer products and even separate distribution channels, which is understandable in part because a consumer will never be interested in conference microphone systems. With other products I don't see that separation as a good choice, many of their pro audio headphones are very well suited for home use, at least soundwise. Optics may be another thing... and other points like many high-end people loving their balanced setups, which are not heard of in the pro sector (therefore the T1.2 now offers an optional balanced cable while the equally new DT1770 uses a single-sided 3-pin mini-xlr).

I tend to still prefer pro-audio gear, especially loving my Benchmark DAC2, as I see it offering phenomenal sound quality at rather reasonable prices. Plus I like understated optics better, so win-win for me.

I think it should actually be a call to reason if pro audio people use headphones that cost so much less... high-end people laughing at them because 'they don't know better' is rather ridiculous.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,094 of 1,323
I've got into pro audio around 2 years ago, and by god do I wish I'd done it earlier - I'd have saved thousands.

I currently use a pair of low end KRK monitors, plus a cheap steinberg UR22 audio interface, and together they blow away a $3000 dollar system that I had about 10 years ago.

Don't let the age of the old system fool you - not much has happened with amplifier design and speaker design in the last 50 years. It was touted to be one of the best bang for the buck systems back then, so it would pretty much hold today. My current speaker based audio setup cost, if you forget about the computer as a source, $500 - it just doesn't look as pretty as the hifi rig I had.

During my journey with headphones the only disappointments I've had are those headphones targeted at the consumer/audiophile market - the Sennheiser Momentums spring to mind as possibly the worst purchase I've ever made - I bought them when they were new to market and they cost almost as much as my current speaker setup. By comparison my DT1350's cost less than half that and are by far and away the best on ear headhones I've yet to hear.

These days I walk past "HiFi" shops, look in the window, and laugh - seriously nobody in their right mind would pay those prices for audio gear if they knew what their local pro audio shop had to offer.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,095 of 1,323
I've got into pro audio around 2 years ago, and by god do I wish I'd done it earlier - I'd have saved thousands.
These days I walk past "HiFi" shops, look in the window, and laugh - seriously nobody in their right mind would pay those prices for audio gear if they knew what their local pro audio shop had to offer.

Thats what I was talking about...
Yes, I do love good looking equipment (I'm lucky in that I really like a good understated pro-design very much), but besides that I do not consider all High-End stuff good looking (thats a matter of taste of course) I think its quite clear that the costs are split quite differently in pro vs. consumer when looking through the bill of materials: case costs are often 1/2 or even more of the whole material costs.
Yes, we feel better if we like what we see (and if we like it we adjust our hearing accordingly). But even this aspect is worth only so much.

So I'm not saying make things ugly as long as they sound good -- not by any means. Just keep the overall costs reasonable. Except for those cases where the customer *wants* to pay for looks. And be transparent about that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back