The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Oct 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,051 of 1,323
  ....  I guess, for me, the music comes first...

Music before audio.

beerchug.gif

IMO.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,052 of 1,323
  @zombywoof I don't know the H6, but I do own the K7XX and can understand if you consider the DT1350 a bit congested compared to them. It may be a stretch to compare as one is about as open and wide sounding as it gets while the other one is a very small, isolating on-ear, but in the end its the music that counts.

I always liked the DT1350 and it is now the oldest headphone in my collection. I used it on the go for several years and was always astounded by its qualities. Until I compared it directly to my (old) T1 at home. That was not a good idea. Having only heard them with quite some time in between (i.e. using the DT1350, coming home, doing other things, later listen to the T1) I thought they were quite similar in sound signature, if not detail retrieval. But in direct comparison the DT1350 was just... not so good. On the other hand I'd never get to listen to the T1 when outside... so each had their place.

What I want to say is this: while I consider the DT1350 to be a very good, compact mobile headphone with many positive traits, I'd not compare it to a good open headphone. It may be hard to find anything mobile that sounds like a K7XX though... You may get used to the DT1350 sound signature by using it more (i.e. brain burn-in which does exist, but cannot get you to love a sound you actually hate), but if that doesn't work for you, you might consider selling it off. There are always headphones we want to like but ultimately can't (I still own a TH900 because I like its looks, its story and the feeling of it, but don't use it anymore as it simply hits too hard for my taste, not letting me relax).

I don't see any problem with your sources. Caveat: I've never personally heard either the C5 or any Fiio, but from what I read about those devices they should be capable of driving the DT1350 without problems. If you really want to keep the DT1350 try to use it exclusively for some time to get acquainted to its sound signature. If even that does not help... I'd say it's just not for you. Which is nothing bad in and of itself.

+1. @zombywoof, what other close portables have you tried?

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,054 of 1,323
+1. @zombywoof
, what other close portables have you tried?

We'll, it has been a rather disjointed journey in the land of closed back portables...and I include some full sized closed back HP's because I use them away from the home system. My current go to's are B&O H6...exceptional detail and a very agreeable signature to my ears. I also have ML Mikros 90 (not the highest level of comfort, but love the sound). I believe younger familiar with these. I also have B&W P7...close to the H6 but a bit darker and less detailed than the H6, but still my #2.

While I was waiting for my replacement DT1350's from Massdrop, I purchased some AKG Y50's on a lark....the price was too good to pass up. To my ears they sound very similar to the 1350's.

I have had B&W P5 and P3, Senn MOE's, Onkyo ES HF300, Sony MDR V6, Klipsch Image One...sold or gave them all away.

My current home use HP's are AKG K7XX. My portable rig is iPod Classic 160 > JDS C5 (preferred) or Fiio E11 via Fiio L9 LOD cable.

So there it is.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,055 of 1,323
@plakat. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I will keep the faith for the moment, and give these a fair shot. The build quality is first rate. I am still undecided about the long term comfort yet, but for an on ear design it doesn't seem to be too bad. Not nearly as skull crushing as my Martin Logan Mikros 90. I realize that these are not going to be comparable to the open K7XX, but thought a point of comparison would help the discussion. I really enjoy the K7XX.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,056 of 1,323
We'll, it has been a rather disjointed journey in the land of closed back portables...and I include some full sized closed back HP's because I use them away from the home system. My current go to's are B&O H6...exceptional detail and a very agreeable signature to my ears. I also have ML Mikros 90 (not the highest level of comfort, but love the sound). I believe younger familiar with these. I also have B&W P7...close to the H6 but a bit darker and less detailed than the H6, but still my #2.

While I was waiting for my replacement DT1350's from Massdrop, I purchased some AKG Y50's on a lark....the price was too good to pass up. To my ears they sound very similar to the 1350's.

I have had B&W P5 and P3, Senn MOE's, Onkyo ES HF300, Sony MDR V6, Klipsch Image One...sold or gave them all away.

My current home use HP's are AKG K7XX. My portable rig is iPod Classic 160 > JDS C5 (preferred) or Fiio E11 via Fiio L9 LOD cable.

So there it is.

Thanks. I tried out the 1350's a year or so back for a couple of weeks. Although I kind of get where you're coming from with them, I loved their sound (and in particular the bass), but the clamp was too much and I sent them back (almost pullled the trigger on them a few times since though lol). The Mikros 90's have similar lack of comfort for me, but for the price they aren't going anywhere. And recently I slapped some sorbothane onto the drivers and they are freaking me out with how good they sound (amazing clarity and dimensionality), so I'm being much more tolerant to the vice-grip characteristics now lol. The other on ears I have are the KEF M500's and the Amperiors. Both are awesome, but the Amperiors seem to have the best combination of SQ and comfort and stability for me.

Anyway, good luck!

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,057 of 1,323
@plakat. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I will keep the faith for the moment, and give these a fair shot. The build quality is first rate. I am still undecided about the long term comfort yet, but for an on ear design it doesn't seem to be too bad. Not nearly as skull crushing as my Martin Logan Mikros 90. I realize that these are not going to be comparable to the open K7XX, but thought a point of comparison would help the discussion. I really enjoy the K7XX.

Yes, I understand why you named the K7XX and just wanted to make sure we're both talking about some realistic expectations regrding K7XX vs. DT1350 :wink:

I used the DT1350 for quite some time on the go as well as for monitoring purposes when DJing or mixing live music, so I can attest to them withstanding some abuse. They isolate quite well which makes them a good fit for these use cases. So if you can ger used to their sound signature I think you'll have a worthy companion for quite some time.

Unfortunately I can't point you in a direction that might better fit your taste... I guess most small on-ear portables tend to sound a bit congested (which may be an exaggeration, but the tendency is there I'd say). Maybe some good in-ears?

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,058 of 1,323
So, I have given these a shot and come to the conclusion that the sound signature that the DT1350's offer is just not to my liking.  It is now pretty obvious that I am not going to hear the clarity that I experience and have come to enjoy with my B&O H6.  No question that the build quality of the 1350's is first rate (as good as any HP's I have seen).  The comfort is also very good (but it can be a bit difficult to find and repeat the sweet spot)...in the end I had no trouble using these for long listening sessions. I will be posting these for sale shortly...any reasonable offer accepted for slightly used phones with all original packaging, etc...used for about 100 hours (includes a 50+ hour burn in period).

Thanks to all for the feedback and thoughtful responses to my posts.  The journey continues...

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,060 of 1,323
  Sorry to hear that @zombywoof -- but better a clear decision than always feeling bad for owning but not using them.
Good luck with your endeavor and let us know your findings.

Thanks.  I will stick with my H6 for the moment as I am very satisfied with all aspects of their performance.  I am also revisiting my P7's as they have not been getting much attention lately.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,061 of 1,323
Thinking about pairing these with a E17k Alpen2, anyone tried that combo with the 80ohm model?

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,062 of 1,323
Hi guys, I'm an happy owner of dt1350 from 2 years ago thanks to @plakat that recommend this headphones to me. I love them in terms of sound, the only things that makes me not fully satisfied is the comfort, specially when I wear them for long time; have anyone the same problem? there is a way to solved it?

I read there are velour earpads and 67mm pads, but I think them only mitigate the problem, any experience? thnks

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,063 of 1,323
  Thinking about pairing these with a E17k Alpen2, anyone tried that combo with the 80ohm model?

I sometimes use an original e17k alpen (not 2) and the dt1350 and find the sound a bit warmer than my macbook pro alone.
I can`t say it`s really any better IMO. Just warmer.
I find it more convenient (portability and quick mobility are key for me with these headphones) and get decent results without the e17 in this context.
Of course "warmer" is better for many folks and I can see the appeal here.

The dt1350 has plenty of volume for me even on very modest sources (clip for example).
The e17 just seems to bring out the faults (lack of detail particuliarly) of inferior sources, puff them out and muddy them up a bit more with the dt1350 IMO.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,064 of 1,323
Thanks for the input! Curious, I've heard there are 32ohm and 80ohm versions of these. I've only found the 80 ohm version thus far. Was your experience with those? The typical sources mobile wise are phone and a Surface, but at home I use a Aune T1 dac/amp and had a Fiio already on order for another set of headphones to use.

Thanks again :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,065 of 1,323
  Thanks for the input! Curious, I've heard there are 32ohm and 80ohm versions of these. I've only found the 80 ohm version thus far. Was your experience with those? The typical sources mobile wise are phone and a Surface, but at home I use a Aune T1 dac/amp and had a Fiio already on order for another set of headphones to use.

Thanks again :)

Mine is definitely 80 ohms.I`ve never heard of a 32 ohm version.
I seem to recall my old t50p was 32 ohms though.

EDIT: I personally believe this headphone is easier to drive than the 80 ohms indicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back