The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #4,771 of 12,546
Yeah if comfort is very important to you stay away from on-ear designs altogether. I work from home as a programmer so I sit in front of my computer 10+ hours a day. On-ear headphones are out of the question. Over-ear designs with comfy pads, like the DT880, are 100% comfortable all day long. I can leave them on indefinitely and there are never any comfort issues.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,772 of 12,546
I didn't believe people when they said how uncomfortable Grados were until I lived with a pair for a few weeks. Astonishingly bad in that department. When you first put them on, you think what are people complaining about; this isn't bad. Then you leave them on for ten minutes and you understand.

The Beyers, on the other hand, are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I could literally wear them all day. I've gone many, many hours at a stretch without even the faintest impression of discomfort.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4,773 of 12,546
  I didn't believe people when they said how uncomfortable Grados were until I lived with a pair for a few weeks. Astonishingly bad in that department. When you first put them on, you think what are people complaining about; this isn't bad. Then you leave them on for ten minutes and you understand.

The Beyers, on the other hand, are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I could literally wear them all day. I've gone many, many hours at a stretch without even the faintest impression of discomfort.

Agree on Beyers comfort...  However, I wish the foam pads were a tad softer like the senn hd650.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,774 of 12,546
  Like they say...

After 8 hours on the Grado sponge...

LOL thats exactly what I thought about how the Grado's would feel after 10 minutes when I first saw them! 

^ Definitely the best price/performance ratio of the DT880s. As long as you can live with the coiled cable I think they are a no-brainer. At just $220 on Amazon they are probably one of the very best values in all of headphones.

Ok I was thinking about getting the premiums because they seemed to be built stronger with the metal and everything but I'm sure the pro at that price would be just as good. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,775 of 12,546

^ Definitely the best price/performance ratio of the DT880s. As long as you can live with the coiled cable I think they are a no-brainer. At just $220 on Amazon they are probably one of the very best values in all of headphones.

Ok I was thinking about getting the premiums because they seemed to be built stronger with the metal and everything but I'm sure the pro at that price would be just as good. 

Huh? The build is identical.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,776 of 12,546

Agree on Beyers comfort...  However, I wish the foam pads were a tad softer like the senn hd650.

I actually find the velours on my DT880 to be both softer to the touch and less firm than the velours on my HD600 (same as the ones on the HD650).

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #4,777 of 12,546

Huh? The build is identical.

I don't know how to describe the part but in the picture on amazon for the headphones (http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-250/dp/B000F2BLTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380831072&sr=8-1&keywords=dt880+premium) the part where the "can" is connected to the head band one looks silver like a metal or something and the other one looks like a dark gray or black I was guessing it might be plastic but I didn't know. Does anyone know if its plastic or not?

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #4,778 of 12,546
I actually find the velours on my DT880 to be both softer to the touch and less firm than the velours on my HD600 (same as the ones on the HD650).

Interesting... some reason its the other way around for me.

I still like the dt's though. "Nothing is WORST than he400's Imho". Apologies HE owners.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4,780 of 12,546

I don't know how to describe the part but in the picture on amazon for the headphones (http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-250/dp/B000F2BLTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380831072&sr=8-1&keywords=dt880+premium) the part where the "can" is connected to the head band one looks silver like a metal or something and the other one looks like a dark gray or black I was guessing it might be plastic but I didn't know. Does anyone know if its plastic or not?

The build of the Premium and Pro models is identical aside from the color applied to some of the parts. The yokes you speak of are metal in both cases.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,782 of 12,546

Which headphone do you prefer to listen to the HD600 or the DT880? 

Honestly.... that is probably the most difficult question I could be asked in regards to headphones. :D

I love them both but if I had to choose one it would be the HD600. They are both quite neutral and both are good as all-arounders. They are also both extremely comfortable and breathable which is important to me. The main difference is the treble spike the DT880s have at about 8 khz. That gives the DT880 more high-end detail at the cost of slightly affecting the accuracy of its tonality. They are both awesome headphones but I would choose the HD600 if you put a gun to my head. The HD600's ridiculously smooth signature just does so much for its accuracy and natural tone. I also love my new K712 but the HD600 takes the cake as my most beloved phone.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4,784 of 12,546
Honestly.... that is probably the most difficult question I could be asked in regards to headphones. :D

I love them both but if I had to choose one it would be the HD600. They are both quite neutral and both are good as all-arounders. They are also both extremely comfortable and breathable which is important to me. The main difference is the treble spike the DT880s have at about 8 khz. That gives the DT880 more high-end detail at the cost of slightly affecting the accuracy of its tonality. They are both awesome headphones but I would choose the HD600 if you put a gun to my head. The HD600's ridiculously smooth signature just does so much for its accuracy and natural tone. I also love my new K712 but the HD600 takes the cake as my most beloved phone.

Very true on the treble spike on the dt's. I sometimes find it a tad too high on certain tracks. Yet, the details and clarity is quite phenomenal.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,785 of 12,546

Your helping me confirm my decision even more to get the DT880's. If they are that close to the HD600's then they have the perfect combination of sound and isolation that I'm looking for right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back