The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4,756 of 12,546
Trust me, you don't want a coiled cable for gaming. One side pulls on your head if you stretch it too far.

Thanks that comparison helped. I might buy them used so I guess I'll just see what is available at the time I'm ready to buy and make a decision then. 

*face palm* the Dt 990 leaks like %50 more than the DT 880 at the same volume. I owned both for like a year -.-

Not to mention the Dt 990 has more treble which causes it to... well be more audible via the leak. Since the driver is pushing more treble out, where as the less bright Dt 880 has less treble to leak, 

Forgive me for being gone so long, and honeslty I used to listen to DUB STEP on my Dt 880 in a LIBRARY... so while I did not CRANK it, I was never asked to remove or turn down the volume on my headphones. While I usually sat alone

Although I will say I have a DOG that WILL NOT SHUT THE #(*%$ )#*(&q UP and it does drive me nuts with open cans 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #4,757 of 12,546
Look for the closed back dt880 mod thread. Something that I never took on but would definitely isolate and contain leak. It also increases bass and soundstage from what the reviews are saying. Looks simple enough to do and is reversible.

If modding isn't your thing, you could opt for a closed back dt770.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4,758 of 12,546
Look for the closed back dt880 mod thread. Something that I never took on but would definitely isolate and contain leak. It also increases bass and soundstage from what the reviews are saying. Looks simple enough to do and is reversible.

If modding isn't your thing, you could opt for a closed back dt770.

Increase in sound stage? Lawl WHAT maybe depth but a wider sound after closing the Ear Cups... that would be something 
:3 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #4,759 of 12,546

*face palm* the Dt 990 leaks like %50 more than the DT 880 at the same volume. I owned both for like a year -.-

Not to mention the Dt 990 has more treble which causes it to... well be more audible via the leak. Since the driver is pushing more treble out, where as the less bright Dt 880 has less treble to leak, 

Forgive me for being gone so long, and honeslty I used to listen to DUB STEP on my Dt 880 in a LIBRARY... so while I did not CRANK it, I was never asked to remove or turn down the volume on my headphones. While I usually sat alone

Although I will say I have a DOG that WILL NOT SHUT THE #(*%$ )#*(&q UP and it does drive me nuts with open cans 

Ok thanks for the insight! 
smile.gif
 It's good to get the opinion of someone that owned both the DT880 and DT990. Thats what my original thought was that they were about 50% louder than the DT880's but I wasn't sure. Do you prefer the sound of the DT990 or DT880? Also do you have any IEM's that you could compare them to? 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4,760 of 12,546

Ok thanks for the insight! 
smile.gif
 It's good to get the opinion of someone that owned both the DT880 and DT990. Thats what my original thought was that they were about 50% louder than the DT880's but I wasn't sure. Do you prefer the sound of the DT990 or DT880? Also do you have any IEM's that you could compare them to? 

Sorry no iems, I think they are the Devils creation <3 [jk guys]

ehm, that said... I liked both,

the Dt 990 for classical, Hip Hop and EDM

Dt 880 for Orchestral, Reggae, Jazz, Hip Hop and "World/Accoustic" Music

that said though, I sold the Dt 990 for a HE 400 [J$money Pads and a Toxic Balance cable q.q] 

And I enjoyed both the 990 and 880 for movies, 

and I did not enjoy the DT 880 with Rock, until I balanced it. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4,761 of 12,546

Sorry no iems, I think they are the Devils creation <3 [jk guys]

ehm, that said... I liked both,

the Dt 990 for classical, Hip Hop and EDM

Dt 880 for Orchestral, Reggae, Jazz, Hip Hop and "World/Accoustic" Music

that said though, I sold the Dt 990 for a HE 400 [J$money Pads and a Toxic Balance cable q.q] 

And I enjoyed both the 990 and 880 for movies, 

and I did not enjoy the DT 880 with Rock, until I balanced it. 

lol I haven't tried any hi-fi headphones before so that could be true. The only thing I have listened to are the 4ai's so I'm excited to try some headphones out too. So you preferred the DT990 for rock before you balanced the DT880's? What is your opinions on the HE 400? do you like it better than the DT990 or DT880? 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4,762 of 12,546

lol I haven't tried any hi-fi headphones before so that could be true. The only thing I have listened to are the 4ai's so I'm excited to try some headphones out too. So you preferred the DT990 for rock before you balanced the DT880's? What is your opinions on the HE 400? do you like it better than the DT990 or DT880? 

no I NEVER liked the Dt 990 for rock.. TOO MUCH bass, THE he 400 is a spirtual successor to the DT 990, it does one thing and that is EDM, for all other genres it's lack luster against the DT 880

the Dt 880 balance, gained a little sound stage and was then able to work nicely with classical and rock, and the ONLY thing the HE 400 does for me is TECHO. And it is very nice for Techno and Techo alone :D [but then again I've got 100gb's of EDM so go figure] 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #4,763 of 12,546

no I NEVER liked the Dt 990 for rock.. TOO MUCH bass, THE he 400 is a spirtual successor to the DT 990, it does one thing and that is EDM, for all other genres it's lack luster against the DT 880

the Dt 880 balance, gained a little sound stage and was then able to work nicely with classical and rock, and the ONLY thing the HE 400 does for me is TECHO. And it is very nice for Techno and Techo alone :D [but then again I've got 100gb's of EDM so go figure] 

Ok the HE400 is definitely not something that I would like then. I listen to mainly Rock with a little bluegrass too. Maybe I would prefer the DT880. Another thing I need to get is either a Amp/DAC or a sound card. A amp/DAC is preferred over a sound card right? I was thinking about trying to get a used nuforce or a o2/ODAC combo but I'm not sure yet. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,764 of 12,546

Ok the HE400 is definitely not something that I would like then. I listen to mainly Rock with a little bluegrass too. Maybe I would prefer the DT880. Another thing I need to get is either a Amp/DAC or a sound card. A amp/DAC is preferred over a sound card right? I was thinking about trying to get a used nuforce or a o2/ODAC combo but I'm not sure yet. 

Go with the o2.Odac combo. I enjoyed my oDac very much! and the O2 is a wonderful amp, not to mention it's price. 

Besides there are some VERY cool custom built o2/oDac amps out there :3

that the dt 880 Pro is defintaly something worth while :D, and... it is by NO means bad with ROCK. I just prefer closed cans for rock atm! 

Ironically, the Dt 880 is nice for Blue Grass, not so much for "rock" as in teh guitars and vocals, how ever the dt 880 does REALLY well with Metal :/ go figure on that one, 

so for rock it is a great can! Espically if it's the first hifi can you own :3

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #4,765 of 12,546

I listen to mainly Rock with a little bluegrass too.

Then you might want some Allesandro MS2's or Grado 325i's as the are supposedly the King when it comes to headphones for Rock.
To quote our venerable obobs... "Grado headphones are among the best overall at musicality and tonal balance"
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,766 of 12,546

Then you might want some Allesandro MS2's or Grado 325i's as the are supposedly the King when it comes to headphones for Rock.
To quote our venerable obobs... "Grado headphones are among the best overall at musicality and tonal balance"
beerchug.gif

I actually prefer my modded w1000x for Rock, it's got the right mix of tonal balance, PERFECT timbre and intamacy for rock and country imo

sarah jarosz, my country singing wifeu <3 best new artist I've heard in a while! 

and Don't worry guys I'm not a stalker, I guess I can be honest with you guyz. Growing up I had a friend of mine, VERY southern girl, green eyes, kinda pale and LONG brown hair <3 thick accent and she loved to sing and play guitar! Well sadly she hit 16 and deiceded to chop her hair, ditch the guitar and country sound and go all hipster on us :/ I guess deep down I miss her, and well you know. Nothing better than good music that brings back even better memories! But happy memories ^^ 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,767 of 12,546

beerchug.gif

I was actually looking at getting a Grado headphone when I first started looking at getting headphones. But I was eventually persuaded by what I was reading about the 4ai's to get them instead. To be honest I never really liked the comfort of on the ear headphones so thats something that turned me off to them. I'd prefer to get a good over the ear headphone because I think I would be able to listen to them for much longer periods of time without discomfort. The pad's on the DT880's and DT 990 look pretty amazing too; like a pillow or something lol 

Go with the o2.Odac combo. I enjoyed my oDac very much! and the O2 is a wonderful amp, not to mention it's price. 

Besides there are some VERY cool custom built o2/oDac amps out there :3

that the dt 880 Pro is defintaly something worth while :D, and... it is by NO means bad with ROCK. I just prefer closed cans for rock atm! 

Ironically, the Dt 880 is nice for Blue Grass, not so much for "rock" as in teh guitars and vocals, how ever the dt 880 does REALLY well with Metal :/ go figure on that one, 

so for rock it is a great can! Espically if it's the first hifi can you own :3

Yeah that's probably what I'll go with since its much more affordable and I have heard other people saying good things about it. The DT880 sounds like a good headphone for me then! 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #4,768 of 12,546

I was actually looking at getting a Grado headphone when I first started looking at getting headphones. But I was eventually persuaded by what I was reading about the 4ai's to get them instead. To be honest I never really liked the comfort of on the ear headphones so thats something that turned me off to them. I'd prefer to get a good over the ear headphone because I think I would be able to listen to them for much longer periods of time without discomfort. The pad's on the DT880's and DT 990 look pretty amazing too; like a pillow or something lol 

Yeah that's probably what I'll go with since its much more affordable and I have heard other people saying good things about it. The DT880 sounds like a good headphone for me then! 

Oh yea the Beyer DT 880 Pro [PLEASE BUY THE DT 880 PRO 250 OHM DO NOT spend the extra money for the Preuim version]

anyways, the DT 880 Pro is still the MOST comfy headphone I've ever worn! And I think you will enjoy it very much :3 

but make sure u save your self some serious money and get the dt 880 pro :D [it's the best price to performance of all the Beyer Dt 880s imo] 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #4,769 of 12,546

Oh yea the Beyer DT 880 Pro [PLEASE BUY THE DT 880 PRO 250 OHM DO NOT spend the extra money for the Preuim version]

anyways, the DT 880 Pro is still the MOST comfy headphone I've ever worn! And I think you will enjoy it very much :3 

but make sure u save your self some serious money and get the dt 880 pro :D [it's the best price to performance of all the Beyer Dt 880s imo] 

^ Definitely the best price/performance ratio of the DT880s. As long as you can live with the coiled cable I think they are a no-brainer. At just $220 on Amazon they are probably one of the very best values in all of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back