The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #4,411 of 12,546
You kids and your easy peasy programming learning tools! Back in my days, we only had punch cards!!! .... well, not really. I had dos prompt/command line but still. Curses!
tongue.gif

I did a little Curses programming back in the day as well...
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #4,412 of 12,546
Ahh, the good old days. I still use the command line every day, on Linux of course. I love it!
powershell + command line ftw! I haven't booted into my Ubuntu partition in quite a while. Not since the Unity nonsense. And well... Win7/8 runs better on my aging hardware than ubuntu. I used to boot into a many different flavors of nix when I had XP since it ran better. But now, Ubuntu is getting bloated as well... go figure. I think I'll reinstall Mint cause that looked interesting.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #4,413 of 12,546
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4,414 of 12,546
Is that anything like Arch? Holy moley, I didn't have enough time to even go through the install there were so many options and customization. I haven't tried deb in a while but I think I'm going to run the gamut of nix til I find one I like. The last steady one I used was crunchbang. loved it. :D

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,415 of 12,546
CentOS would be my vote! Cent 6 still uses GNOME 2, none of this crazy new interface nonsense, it runs fast on all but the oldest hardware and since its 100% Red Hat compatible pretty much everything works with it. However, I've been on Windows 7 on my main desktop for a while now, mainly because I'm a bit of a gamer but also because I prefer coding on Windows since its GUI is faster. For now I get my Linux fix by playing around on all my work servers which are mostly Debian.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #4,416 of 12,546
CentOS would be my vote! Cent 6 still uses GNOME 2, none of this crazy new interface nonsense, it runs fast on all but the oldest hardware and since its 100% Red Hat compatible pretty much everything works with it. However, I've been on Windows 7 on my main desktop for a while now, mainly because I'm a bit of a gamer but also because I prefer coding on Windows since its GUI is faster. For now I get my Linux fix by playing around on all my work servers which are mostly Debian.
Ditto. I program on Win8 at work. VS has come a looooong way since I first used it. It was a slow bloated behemeth back in the day. Still bloated but it's a whole lot faster. :D I loved VS2010 and diggin VS2012 with the dark scheme. At home, I'm running Win7 + VS2012 and it's still waaaaaaaaaay better than Eclipse/Netbean. Ugh. Never again. I'd rather code in notepad.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #4,423 of 12,546
  Live music,Rock etc,but i'm looking for a detailed and high quality SQ,rocking out is less important to me:)

The DT880 is more "true to life", but the sound of the DT990 is slightly more clear and open, as well as much more "exciting".

The T1 is all these things to an even higher degree (detailed, spacious, exciting because of the detail and accuracy) , but it's way more expensive.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #4,424 of 12,546
I'm new here (but was lurking for quite some time) and I don't have a lot to add...

I listen to music a lot at work to tune out distractions and I never wanted to spend a lot of money (ie. more than $100) on gear for my ipod classic (no nice system at work for me, unfortunately). After years of frustration I finally broke down and spent some money to get decent sound.

I settled on the DT 880s with a Project Starlight amp and I'm finally satisfied with my setup! With a NOS Mullard 12au7 tube in the amp, this setup sounds perfect for me considering the price. I listen to a wide variety of music and can't really spend time swapping out headphones for different types of music. The DT 880s are comfortable enough for me to wear all day (around 9 hours) without getting tired.

I'll probably continue rolling tubes, but nothing has come close to this combo for me so far.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,425 of 12,546

Just had a look at Aus sites and the only place I can find with the genuine product wants $55 for them. Hmmm...

Came across this description of the sound of the 880 on a site called Headsonic. I'm sure the guy must have the 880 mixed up with the 990--or maybe even something by Dr. Dre:

"In terms of the sound, the DT880 has absolutely excellent low-end and midrange detail, and this is absolutely where it shines. Never have bassy tracks sounded so good, and for techno, action movies and especially gaming, they shine like no other. They are one of the few headphones that can actually produce enough low-end power to shake the entire unit, which is no mean feat considering their weighty construction. They don't simply apply volume at the low end, but have an incredible level of clarity in the area also. Even faced with a comparison against the impressive resolution of the AKG K701, the Beyerdynamic DT880s revealed new sounds and new details in the low end with every track.

However, nothing is without compromise, and the price of this low end clarity is a sacrifice in the highs. Compared to AKG and Audio-Technica models, the DT880 lacks some high-end detail, which becomes palpable in vocal and symphonic passages. Indeed, it is almost a Yin and Yang relationship with the K701, with neither pair being necessarily better than the other, only different. The choice between the two will always come down to personal preference."

Oh, forgot to welcome gbremer to HeadFi. Very first post, eh? I remember it...not at all actually.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back