The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #3,961 of 12,546
Hey guys.. I am not asking the same question in different threads (OK I am), but I realized that posting this question here in this thread may get some replies with actual experience.

I want to get a set of DT880 250 premiums for Classic/Folk Rock, Metal, blues and I am using a AudioQuest DragonFly (AQDF) with some k450's now.    

I have two concerns

1. Will the AQDF drive the 250's?   I tried to understand the 1/8 rule and if I do (big if) I think I am fine.
2. I worry I will get a headphone that is "too revealing"  as I do route around youtube looking for buried treasures  (aynsley dunbar latley) and I also have a lot of music that was recorded a long ago (Blind Willie Johnson). (HD600 better?)

Again sorry if I double posted.. just trying to hit a more direct audience.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #3,963 of 12,546
Quote:
Hey guys.. I am not asking the same question in different threads (OK I am), but I realized that posting this question here in this thread may get some replies with actual experience.

I want to get a set of DT880 250 premiums for Classic/Folk Rock, Metal, blues and I am using a AudioQuest DragonFly (AQDF) with some k450's now.    

I have two concerns

1. Will the AQDF drive the 250's?   I tried to understand the 1/8 rule and if I do (big if) I think I am fine.
2. I worry I will get a headphone that is "too revealing"  as I do route around youtube looking for buried treasures  (aynsley dunbar latley) and I also have a lot of music that was recorded a long ago (Blind Willie Johnson). (HD600 better?)

How much voltage will the Dragonfly output?
How much power will the Dragonfly output into 250 and/or 300 Ohm loads?

I don't think the DT880 will be so revealing that you will totally hate any rough recordings.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,964 of 12,546
Thanks Chris..I hope this info helps..  I used the 1/8 rule by multiplying the 32 X 8.. was over 250 (was 256)

According to specs AQDF outputs..  

Output voltage: 2vrms
Minimum driven impedance 
(headphones, electronic input): 12 ohms
Maximum headphone driver output power: 125mW @ 32 ohms

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,965 of 12,546
Thanks Chris..I hope this info helps..  I used the 1/8 rule by multiplying the 32 X 8.. was over 250 (was 256)

According to specs AQDF outputs..  

Output voltage: 2vrms
Minimum driven impedance 
(headphones, electronic input): 12 ohms
Maximum headphone driver output power: 125mW @ 32 ohms

Hey man, I would go with the 32 Ohm version, if you want DT880.
That amp is not really designed for 250 or 600 Ohm headphones.

32 Ohms is not the output impedance, they are saying the DF outputs 125 mWatts into a 32 Ohm headphone.
Headphone amps are so confusing.......:xf_eek:

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,966 of 12,546
Quote:
32 Ohms is not the output impedance, they are saying the DF outputs 125 mWatts into a 32 Ohm headphone.
Headphone amps are so confusing.......
redface.gif

Thanks for clarifying that. That was how I read it, too, but I didn't want to get it wrong and contribute to the confusion.

@Rat Salad

You might want to take Chris' suggestion and get the 32 ohm DT880 if you're going to stick with the DF as your amp.

However, the 32 ohm version gives up potential to the higher-ohm versions, so you might want to consider that as well. Maybe get the 250 ohm version like you planned and eventually pick up something to power them. They're not ridiculously inefficient. They actually make it up to decent volume on all my stereos and my mixer (which is actually my primary amp for them). Basically, if it plugs into a wall, it probably will get them up to decent volume. You might be able to make something work until you can get a proper amp.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3,967 of 12,546
Quote:

I have two concerns

1. Like Chris said, that amp won't be the the best for a 250ohm headphone. Maybe look into the 32ohm version?

2. The DT880's aren't as revealing as some people say. They won't make you hate your poorly recorded songs, but if the music is poorly recorded, it will show. 

Good luck

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #3,968 of 12,546
1. Like Chris said, that amp won't be the the best for a 250ohm headphone. Maybe look into the 32ohm version?

2. The DT880's aren't as revealing as some people say. They won't make you hate your poorly recorded songs, but if the music is poorly recorded, it will show. 

Good luck

One thing about any higher quality headphone:
they all tend to expose poor recordings, but it's just something we put up with, you can't avoid it.

There's a whole school ot thought in this thread that there is not a massive difference in sound between the various impedance DT880s.
I've heard the 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm versions side by side, the treble in the 600 Ohm version was very slightly smoother, but this is very subtle.
OTOH, I can also use my 600 Ohm Beyers with my output transformerless headphone amp.
You probably wouldn't want to use that with a 32 Ohm DT880.:xf_eek:

Confusing, ain't it?

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #3,969 of 12,546
Thanks Guys.. All great info.. many of my purchase decisions were helped through Head-Fi forums.

Stinks that its so hard to just audition equipment, even in a big city (Chicago).

Rat

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,970 of 12,546
Quote:
Stinks that its so hard to just audition equipment, even in a big city (Chicago).

Try High Rubber Boot, Nova Scotia... Futureshop & BestBuy (Canadian Version) are my only choices... 
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,971 of 12,546
Got the DT800 250 premium (I have a big head and do not want a strong clamp) off Amazon Warehouse "Like New" for 265.00 USD.  

The Headroom description said the Dragonfly can power headphones up to 300 ohms.  

So I am going down the road Argyris suggested and making due with the 250's until I get more powerful amp again.  I had the Arrow 4g and an Ibasso D4 before but opted for a form factor that would allow for DAC/AMP with extreme portability).

Thanks again

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,972 of 12,546
Quote:
Try High Rubber Boot, Nova Scotia... Futureshop & BestBuy (Canadian Version) are my only choices... 
frown.gif

Do they sell DACs with vacuum tube, Class A output stages at Future Shop? 

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #3,973 of 12,546
Do they sell DACs with vacuum tube, Class A output stages at Future Shop? 
LOL, as you well know good sir they have "Jack Diddly Squat" at Futureshop... Unless you mean this dreck from "Samslung" http://m.samsung.com/us/2012-vacuum-tube-amplifier/ :D

I listened to the Momentums there for a moment, audio feed was way too loud and not a bit of worthwhile music on it.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3,974 of 12,546
Jul 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #3,975 of 12,546
I saw that too. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time, as it would have been all over my screen in a classic spit take. It's bad enough we still see people saying that D/A converters produce "stepped" waveforms. I suppose Sammy was just banking off of that.

The thing is, if they wanted to generate some marketing-friendly technobabble, there's quite enough of that ripe for the picking. Just bring up how tube amps are reputed to produce euphonic distortion and add a bit of midrange warmth, which "takes the edge" off the sound. Put a clip art photo of a guy in a lab coat holding a clipboard and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back